BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > BMW Dealer - DME fault

07-07-2021, 07:16 AM   #1
Ghost88
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

BMW Dealer - DME fault

Hey guys,

Was hoping for some advice my car is current in with BMW at the moment have some warranty work done. There as however a flag with DME tampering. I believed the previous owner mapped the car with bm3 and when selling returned it to stock. It's been something I've been working with BMW U.K. on as I've only had the car a few weeks. I have so far asked the car to be reprogrammed back to complete stock however the dealer it's in are having issues.

Does anyone have the knowledge to tell me what needs to be done to clear this code completely.

What do I need to ask them to do an istep upgrade or a ISTA upgrade?

I understand there are 4 layers to the dme so what bit does the tampering code sit under?

Bosch/Infineon bootloader, can only be applied at the factory that makes the DME

BMW Bootloader, the bootloader that allows BMW tools to program the DME via OBD / dealer tools

DME Software

EEPROM data ( VIN, adaptations, mileage, runtime etc)

It's been with bmw 3 days now and I need the car back but they really don't seem to know what's going on with what the SA is feeding me back.

Any advice / help would be massively appreciated as it's now getting incredibly frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 11:33 AM   #2
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

It isn't just the DME. BMW corporate has it flagged so any BMW dealer will know the car has been tampered with.
      07-07-2021, 12:21 PM   #3
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Reminds me of this thread ̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶O̶P̶ ̶n̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶u̶p̶d̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶o̶l̶u̶t̶i̶o̶n̶:̶
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1491357

Edit: I missed the update from OP with resolution: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=140

Last edited by jkoral; 07-07-2021 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-07-2021, 02:54 PM   #4
Ghost88
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Reminds me of this thread, but the OP never updated it with resolution:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1491357
I'll be sure to update the forum on how I get on. Thank you for the link though
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 06:46 PM   #5
Dark-Yoda
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BSM M2C

Garage List
interesting.. i have a friend who is going through the same exact thing, except his car was a CPO and we are in the states.

i wish you luck! im not sure how bmw acts on the other side of the pond, but here, they are generally a pain in the ass to work with on anything.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 08:48 PM   #6
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Yoda View Post
interesting.. i have a friend who is going through the same exact thing, except his car was a CPO and we are in the states.

i wish you luck! im not sure how bmw acts on the other side of the pond, but here, they are generally a pain in the ass to work with on anything.
How in the world does a tampered car get certified? Shouldn't that have been detected during the certification process?

Retired: 2016 328i xDrive SportsWagon, 2010 Z4 sDrive 35i, 2006 530 xiT, 1999 323i
Appreciate 1
MikeD943.00
      07-07-2021, 09:12 PM   #7
Dark-Yoda
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BSM M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcw View Post
How in the world does a tampered car get certified? Shouldn't that have been detected during the certification process?
that's what everyone is wondering too
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 02:19 PM   #8
ICantDrive4Sht
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcw View Post
Quote:

[QUOTE=marcw;27779736]

My M2 was CPO also, with FBO and BM3 lol.
I was quite surprised to see it listed as a CPO vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 11:50 PM   #9
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:

They have to honor the warranty since they certified it, right? That's on the dealership for messing up.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 04:38 PM   #10
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:

They have to honor the warranty since they certified it, right? That's on the dealership for messing up.
In theory but they could say that you tuned it after you bought the CPO. Their records should show it being flagged before you bought it. It's possible they never properly went through the certification process so it didn't get flagged or their tools were not advanced enough at the time to detect the DME had been tampered with, but now at a later date their tools are better and detect it only AFTER they sold the car as CPO.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      07-09-2021, 06:33 PM   #11
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
In theory but they could say that you tuned it after you bought the CPO. Their records should show it being flagged before you bought it. It's possible they never properly went through the certification process so it didn't get flagged or their tools were not advanced enough at the time to detect the DME had been tampered with, but now at a later date their tools are better and detect it only AFTER they sold the car as CPO.
Makes sense. I am pretty sure a call from a lawyer would sort them out, though. They certified the car after their inspection. They would probably have to produce evidence showing it was free of tampering at the time of certification. Which they either have and didn't look at or turned a blind eye to, or, they did not have so they could not produce it as evidence. I'm thinking if the car was really tuned before the CPO purchase, it could be shown via DME logs.

I bet BMWNA would take care of this if a lawyer got involved. A friend of mine had something similar happen with PCNA and once informed they were actually quite helpful, contrary to the dealership.
Appreciate 0