E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Engine Making Noise + Misfire code

07-06-2021, 05:12 PM   #1
syntax
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Engine Making Noise + Misfire code

[Deleted]

Last edited by syntax; 11-26-2021 at 07:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 09:49 PM   #2
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax View Post
I got code 29D1: Combustion Misfires - Cylinder 5 after doing a stage 1 MHD pull in 2nd gear to high rpm. Had MHD for 2 weeks, usually drive on stage 0 and sometimes stage 1. Car has 104k miles. I have an intake and charge pipe with new diverter valves. Anyways, after the pull the car was running very rough. I only took the engine cover off the day before but it felt like the engine ticking from direct fuel injection was louder than normal but maybe im tripping. On the way home, the check engine light dissapeared and the car wasn't rough anymore though i think the sound may still be there. Could this be from a failing injector? Some people thought i may have had a leaky injector in my recent mhd logs post. Im wondering if it had carbon buildup on the injector and it fixed itself. I drove it to work today after clearing the codes and had no problems but this sound remains and the misfire code did not come back. Didnt go above 2000 rpm though. Here is a video of it:

https://streamable.com/80y1lq
When it misfires its gonna sound rough.

Before you jump to injectors and throw money at the problem, swap the spark plug from cylinder 5 to another cylinder and then do another WOT pull. If the misfire follows then you know its your plugs causing it, otherwise swap coils and do the same.
Appreciate 0