E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Making this car handle

11-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
stratplaya06
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi-SOLD 5.0 Miata

Making this car handle

Hey guys,

I've had my 335xi on and off (due to a shitty body shop) for about 6 months now, and I, as with seemingly all xi owners, am getting pretty sick of the sloppy high speed performance. Now I drive this car very hard, and am very jealous of my father's e60 m5 handling and ability to have tremendous grip and agility with decent ride quality. I feel like the m5 is much easier to throw around on the road, despite its bigger size and weight.

Now,

I have an appointment to get kw v3's put on next week. Will this solve most of my handling problems? I have the 17" non-staggered wheels, but these conti tires seem to grip fairly well, and I do not see a point in getting summer tires and wheels when winter is so close. It seems like the suspension is the real issue. Has anybody dropped this car with the stock 17" wheels? I know it seems a little ridiculous but at this point, I think it's a great option that will make the period of time until I can get the new wheels and tires towards the spring.

Any opinions?

| PROcede Rev3 | Vishnu Meth | DCI | BMW Perf. Exhaust | AR Coated/Catless | CP-E FMIC | Quaife |
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
Kevin G
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

In the same boat; let me know how it goes. Getting snows put on my stock 17s for the winter, but also interested in V3s. Plan on getting non-RFT 18s or 19s for the summer season. Assume you can also control the amount of drop, so a little bit in the winter, and then more for the summer.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Tires in general can make the biggest handling improvement on a car. They are the limiting factor to everything performance on the car - acceleration, braking and cornering abilities. There is nothing wrong at all with the 17" size - try upgrading to dedicated performance summer tires and you will see a bigger difference in the handling abilities of the car than the coilovers will make.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
chinoxs203
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi AW

you will notice a huge improvement with your V3 investment. I think is BS how bad the XI rides or 50K!!

i have the V3's set to whatever the factory specs were by the shop that installed them and the car has a lot less roll and that bumpy/floaty feel. its much tighter and just feels more secure.

FOR SALE:
Dropbox - please
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 03:31 PM   #5
stratplaya06
Captain
United_States
Rep

Now let me ask you this question too...is it harsh?

I"m actually quite concerned about this and wondering how I should have the shop adjust them. With the 17" rft's it will be a fairly stiff sidewall if i'm not mistaken. I also have in mind a set of 19" summer wheels with ps2's and I was informed these have a very still (and short) sidewall. Does anybody have anything other than the factory set settings? I know that for me I want the height to be just around the 335i sport height, but I just don't want this car to ride like a rock...

Does anyone have a problem with them being too harsh?

| PROcede Rev3 | Vishnu Meth | DCI | BMW Perf. Exhaust | AR Coated/Catless | CP-E FMIC | Quaife |
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
I hate how the front suspension feels like it is going to explode whenever the car goes over a bump. A BMW shouldn't feel like this, even my old Merc didn't feel like this. I'm hoping the KW V3 will take that away.
      11-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #7
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

I'm affraid Kev is right. Even with the KWv3, your gonna WABANG over any medium sized bump, crack or deviation. Regular driving at the default recommended settings is very comfortable and not harsh at all.

I usually reset my suspension several times a year. You'll want to make a cutout in your trunk liner if you modify your setting that often. For my daily drive I use the KW default settings. For track settings I stiffen 3 clicks up front and 2 clicks rear from default and winter I soften 1 click front and rear from default. Other folks may have other recommendations.
      11-19-2008, 11:58 PM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

OP ride with someone who has the setup you want and be very honest about whether you have the tech to take advantage of the suspension's adjustability. Often times different (non adjustable) matched springs and dampers will get the job done for much less money unless you are a very advanced user
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 09:32 AM   #9
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratplaya06 View Post
Hey guys,

I've had my 335xi on and off (due to a shitty body shop) for about 6 months now, and I, as with seemingly all xi owners, am getting pretty sick of the sloppy high speed performance. Now I drive this car very hard, and am very jealous of my father's e60 m5 handling and ability to have tremendous grip and agility with decent ride quality. I feel like the m5 is much easier to throw around on the road, despite its bigger size and weight.
So, what's the reason you didn't buy the 335i in the first place?
      11-20-2008, 09:41 AM   #10
PKumarM3
Air India
India
Rep
Drives: 2018 Dodge Durango

its an awd car made for bad weather areas.

if you wanted a good handling car, should of gone RWD.

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 11:06 AM   #11
Kevin G
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Why should we not expect an AWD car to handle well? The RS4 with quattro is a perfect example. If Audi can do it, why not BMW? Does Munich naïvely think that since a driver needs AWD, that they won't want proper handling?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 12:27 PM   #12
Save Bluth
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: non-Beemer (for now)

I'm having my own battle trying to get the KW v3s to work for me and my XI coupe (as described in other posts). In short, ride is more stiff/harsh than I want. I'm going to check air pressures (non-rft) and go to Demetrious at CAC/Lincoln Wilson Service this weekend. Hope to make this work.
retired: '94 325is l Black l Black l 5MT
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #13
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin G View Post
Why should we not expect an AWD car to handle well? The RS4 with quattro is a perfect example. If Audi can do it, why not BMW? Does Munich naïvely think that since a driver needs AWD, that they won't want proper handling?
No one said we shouldn't expect proper handling. Most people in the world think a 335xi handles fine. But why should anyone expect a 335xi (or even a 335i) to handle like an M5? I'm trying to understand why the OP would buy a 335xi if he wanted the handling of an M5. Mabe there's a good reason, maybe not. That's why I asked the question.

And what's the RS4 got to do with anything? The RS4 is a $65,000 car. The 335xi is a $50,000 car. So, if you spend $15,000 more, you can get a better handling AWD car. That shouldn't really surprise anyone.
      11-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #14
Kevin G
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The example of the RS4 given is to show that Audi can execute an AWD car that has a sporty suspension; BMW has not.

I don't get the 335xi/M5 comparison either!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #15
stratplaya06
Captain
United_States
Rep

I bought the xi, well, because it was a steller value, and I didn't think the handling would turn out to lack this much. My car had 3k miles and was 4 months old when I got it, and it was almost fully loaded. My sticker price was 53k and I got the car for under 42. I have access to an 07 m roadster and an 06 m5 if I ever need to thrash on a rwd car. I just want this to handle better at high speed. The only reason I compare the two (xi and m5) is because I feel the sheer mass of the m5 should make it feel more sluggish (totally not the case...the car feels very light on its feet). To everyone questioning my sanity about my m5 reference, I totally understand expecting the car to handle like a 100k m car is unreasonable. I just hope to find the best of both worlds with this car (good handling awd) especially seeing audi can sure as hell do it. I am getting the v3's installed on monday, and will post back with my observations on the stock 17" wheels/conti rft's. I know these tires will DEFINITELY hinder the handling ability of my car, but buying ps2's and rims is not the best thing to do when snow is coming. I will be putting non rft's on in the spring.

In short, I love awd. The power is huge off the line, and it's awesome in the poor weather. I just want the car to feel a little better that's all. I'll post back when I get my suspension done. My installer said I would love them and if I didn't that they would work with me until I did.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #16
WeeMan335
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassaxi View Post
No one said we shouldn't expect proper handling. Most people in the world think a 335xi handles fine. But why should anyone expect a 335xi (or even a 335i) to handle like an M5? I'm trying to understand why the OP would buy a 335xi if he wanted the handling of an M5. Mabe there's a good reason, maybe not. That's why I asked the question.

And what's the RS4 got to do with anything? The RS4 is a $65,000 car. The 335xi is a $50,000 car. So, if you spend $15,000 more, you can get a better handling AWD car. That shouldn't really surprise anyone.
++!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #17
WeeMan335
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 335

Strats,
What part of MD are you from? I am thinking about a similiar set up so let me know how much it cost so forth from begining to end. It would be nice to sit in one to experience the supposely improved handling.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 11:12 AM   #18
Laurence928
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mitsubishi Montero Unlimited

XI AWD

Hey Guys,

This is my first post tothis forum so please don't flame me for what I am about to pass along. Last week I week to Tischer Auto Mall (Maryland) to look at both an Audi S5 (Quattro AWD) and a BMW 335ix. I went to the Audi dealership first to look at the S5, while discussing the S5 with the sales agent I informed him that I was also looking at the 335ix. The sales agent agreed that the BMW was a great car; however, he went on to say that the xi series is not a true AWD. Now imagine my surprise at that statement so I queried him further (mainly because I thought he was blowing smoke up my butt to get me into the S5). Supposedly, the AWD of the xi will disengage once the vehicle hits approx. 75 MPH, which may acount for one of the posts complaining about the xi not handling the way he felt an AWD should handle at high speeds. Well, I asked the Audi sales agent if I walked next door to the BMW dealership and asked a sales agent would he concur about the AWD disengaging at certain speeds, to which the Audi guy said..."if he's an honest sales agent, he will." So I walked over to the sales agent and during our discussion about the 335xi I asked him if in fact the AWD disengages at 75 mph. The agent said..."yes, it does." My immediate comment was...then why doesn't BMW call it a partial or limited AWD? He could not provide an answer. Anyway, after looking at both the Audi S5 and the 335 I am no further along than when I started. Both vehicles have pluses and minuses, the big turn-off of the S5 is it's sticker price: $57k+ (and that's through USAA Discount Buyers Program) AND THAT IS NOT EVEN FULLY LOADED! Gas mileage for the S5 is approx. 21 hwy, + a $1300 gas guzzler tax.

So the responses to the previous poster about changing the rubber on his xi for high speed handling is probably a soultion to his problem.

If I get the 335 it goes straight to the Dinan mechanic for the upgrade in power (going for the 398hp) Thinking about the Artic White with Red Dakota leather interior with the aluminum trim.

Laurence
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 06:04 PM   #19
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save Bluth View Post
I'm having my own battle trying to get the KW v3s to work for me and my XI coupe (as described in other posts). In short, ride is more stiff/harsh than I want. I'm going to check air pressures (non-rft) and go to Demetrious at CAC/Lincoln Wilson Service this weekend. Hope to make this work.
Sounds like the RFT may be the problem. I have had no issues setting the v3's to just the right settings. You can get almost the same soft feeling (minus the aweful floaty feeling) as the OEMs. You sure your shop is familiar with setting them up?
      11-24-2008, 05:31 AM   #20
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

I'm sorry but the xi in stock form is PURE GARBAGE!
For 52k, this car is an absolute joke and embarrassment.

Unfortunately, I did not notice it while test driving it and bought it. Never again!

BMW
      11-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #21
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ice View Post

Unfortunately, I did not notice it while test driving it and bought it. Never again!

BMW
I don't think anyone is arguing with you. You clearly didn't read the thread.
      11-24-2008, 05:29 PM   #22
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ice View Post

BMW
Must have been quite a test drive if you couldn't tell the difference between a car you wanted and one that was PURE GARBAGE.