E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > E90 stock/aftermarket intakes

04-26-2006, 01:09 AM   #1
huchung
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

E90 stock/aftermarket intakes

This thread is started to get people's view on the aftermarket and stock intakes. It is a discussion, not a 'those dyno results look photoshoped' thread. I have no associations with any of the companies, nor do I own an aftermarket intake. THAT MEANS: I am not here to defend one company or another. so PLEASE dont flame me.....im quite fragile . HAHAHA. j/p With that said, I am trying to figure out why I would put up 400 bux for an intake for gains that are comparable if I were to 'ghetto' it (ie, take the charcoal filter out).

Ive just spent the last hour reading about these aftermarket intakes and 'free horse power' threads, and something dawned on me. Has anyone removed their charcoal filter and dynoed the result? This is only an educated guess, but I think the results would come out similar to the after-market intakes. How much LESS do you think we'd gain if we were to do the same as those m5 members? Members here claim they feel the difference. Wishful thinking or truth? And if its the truth, wouldnt it be substantial gain to feel the difference? Say, +9hp +14tq?

So back to the main question/point: for $400, these company will provide you with an intake that will provide the same gain as removing the charcoal filter in the stock box?

What do you guys think? Are my reasoning abilities clouded by the stick-icky in my system?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2006, 07:41 AM   #2
cookiethief76
Cookiethief76
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330I

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
For the real power greedy fanatics, why wouldn't you remove the filter and buy the intake and possibly get about 20 more horses?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2006, 08:50 AM   #3
KC Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiethief76
For the real power greedy fanatics, why wouldn't you remove the filter and buy the intake and possibly get about 20 more horses?
I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no way that removing the charcol filter and an air intake would give you 20 ponies. Maximum (which hasn't really been proven yet) is 5-8 hp in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2006, 12:59 PM   #4
huchung
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Im not really a horse-power freak, I just like to maximize what I have. If I were a horse-power freak, I would've gotten a G6 for way less.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2006, 06:03 PM   #5
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiethief76
Not possible. The charcoal filter is part of the stock airbox which is completely removed when you replace the intake. You can only do one or the other but you technically do remove the charcoal filter from the air flow path when you replace the intake.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2006, 06:10 PM   #6
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by huchung
This thread is started to get people's view on the aftermarket and stock intakes. It is a discussion, not a 'those dyno results look photoshoped' thread. I have no associations with any of the companies, nor do I own an aftermarket intake. THAT MEANS: I am not here to defend one company or another. so PLEASE dont flame me.....im quite fragile . HAHAHA. j/p With that said, I am trying to figure out why I would put up 400 bux for an intake for gains that are comparable if I were to 'ghetto' it (ie, take the charcoal filter out).

Ive just spent the last hour reading about these aftermarket intakes and 'free horse power' threads, and something dawned on me. Has anyone removed their charcoal filter and dynoed the result? This is only an educated guess, but I think the results would come out similar to the after-market intakes. How much LESS do you think we'd gain if we were to do the same as those m5 members? Members here claim they feel the difference. Wishful thinking or truth? And if its the truth, wouldnt it be substantial gain to feel the difference? Say, +9hp +14tq?

So back to the main question/point: for $400, these company will provide you with an intake that will provide the same gain as removing the charcoal filter in the stock box?

What do you guys think? Are my reasoning abilities clouded by the stick-icky in my system?
Speaking as a person who was one of the first to dare to remove the charcoal filter(I say that jokingly since people still seem to be freaking out about removing it ) , your thoughts as to the HP and tq gain from removing the charcoal filter is just wishful thinking. While I do feel feel a difference in the way the car accelerates, I would be very surprised if I got any HP gain from removing the filter. Smoother acceleration does not necessarily equal increased HP or TQ. While it's very possible that I got a HP or 2 gain there is no way it's anywhere near what the change to a good aftermarket intake will provide. This is a example of you get what you pay for. Free= little to none, $= more.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2006, 07:08 PM   #7
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

I have my Fujita intake for sale

About 200 miles on it

Want 200 dollars shipped
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2006, 09:39 PM   #8
huchung
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsarge
Speaking as a person who was one of the first to dare to remove the charcoal filter(I say that jokingly since people still seem to be freaking out about removing it ) , your thoughts as to the HP and tq gain from removing the charcoal filter is just wishful thinking. While I do feel feel a difference in the way the car accelerates, I would be very surprised if I got any HP gain from removing the filter. Smoother acceleration does not necessarily equal increased HP or TQ. While it's very possible that I got a HP or 2 gain there is no way it's anywhere near what the change to a good aftermarket intake will provide. This is a example of you get what you pay for. Free= little to none, $= more.
I had a knife in my hand, ready to tear that filter up. Thanks for bringing me back to reality. Haha. I looked at the intake holes, and it doesnt look like our e90's getting enough air. On my z33, i could put my fist into the intake hole; on the e90, i can barely put my fingers in there...Anywho, thanks for clearing that up.
Appreciate 0