M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion AC with phone question

07-02-2021, 03:38 PM   #1
baf3472
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 iX 12 M5 09 750li 00 M5

AC with phone question

I've only had my M850 for a few days now and so far I'm loving it. Feels good to be back in a BMW after driving just trucks for the last few years.
There is one issue that I have that I'm wondering about.
When I am on my phone on bluetooth with the AC on, every vehicle I've ever owned that had bluetooth, would lower the fan speed while I was on the call. My car doesn't do that and I have to manually lower the fan speed to be able to hear the other person. I know this is a first world problem but manually changing the fan speed also eliminates the sync which I have to go back into idrive to sync again. It's not a big deal, but I'm wondering if its designed this way or if my car has a bug.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 04:33 PM   #2
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf3472 View Post
I've only had my M850 for a few days now and so far I'm loving it. Feels good to be back in a BMW after driving just trucks for the last few years.
There is one issue that I have that I'm wondering about.
When I am on my phone on bluetooth with the AC on, every vehicle I've ever owned that had bluetooth, would lower the fan speed while I was on the call. My car doesn't do that and I have to manually lower the fan speed to be able to hear the other person. I know this is a first world problem but manually changing the fan speed also eliminates the sync which I have to go back into idrive to sync again. It's not a big deal, but I'm wondering if its designed this way or if my car has a bug.
Thanks
my m850i will lower the fan when I use commands like "hey bmw ...."
but I don't know if it changes when I'm on the Bluetooth, I don't think it's an option or feature.
you can say "hey bmw, lower the air" or turn off the ac. voice commands.
also using Eco mode tends to cut off the AC vs sport mode.
but idk.
Appreciate 1
baf3472116.50
      07-02-2021, 08:23 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
I know this is a first world problem but manually changing the fan speed also eliminates the sync which I have to go back into idrive to sync again. It's not a big deal, but I'm wondering if its designed this way or if my car has a bug.
Thanks
Now that sounds like a bug as I've had to manually adjust the fan speed when the wife is in the car (she's either too hot or too cold... we all know that story). However, in doing so it never eliminates the driver/passenger climate control sync. What version of iDrive are you running?
Appreciate 2
baf3472116.50
      07-03-2021, 07:26 PM   #4
baf3472
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Now that sounds like a bug as I've had to manually adjust the fan speed when the wife is in the car (she's either too hot or too cold... we all know that story). However, in doing so it never eliminates the driver/passenger climate control sync. What version of iDrive are you running?
Im not sure if I'm looking for the right thing but it looks like version 03/2021.38.
This is has to be a bug. My M5 and 750 that I had would lower the fan when you were on bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 12:01 AM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Im not sure if I'm looking for the right thing but it looks like version 03/2021.38.
This is has to be a bug. My M5 and 750 that I had would lower the fan when you were on bluetooth.
That's the most recent version. 07/21 hasn't been released yet.
Appreciate 1
baf3472116.50
      07-07-2021, 10:42 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Definitely a bug in 03/2021.XX as I just got home from a road trip with the wife to visit our son in San Diego. I had to adjust the temperature and fan speed several times in both directions (there were stretches with 113 degrees for outside temp in play) on my wife's request. Every time I adjusted the fan speed the sync between the driver and passenger climate controls stayed intact.
Appreciate 1
baf3472116.50
      07-12-2021, 08:50 PM   #7
Publius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F93 M8 Comp, F10 M5, E39 M5

Maybe it's not a bug. I hear what you're saying about expected behavior, especially given what older model BMW's have done.

But perhaps the change is because the microphones in the newest models have such good noise cancellation there is no need to reduce fan speed. In my 2022 model, with fan on full blast, I issued a voice command. I could barely hear what I was saying, but the car heard me accurately and did what I asked.

So maybe this bug is a new feature?
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2021, 07:06 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
Maybe it's not a bug. I hear what you're saying about expected behavior, especially given what older model BMW's have done.

But perhaps the change is because the microphones in the newest models have such good noise cancellation there is no need to reduce fan speed. In my 2022 model, with fan on full blast, I issued a voice command. I could barely hear what I was saying, but the car heard me accurately and did what I asked.

So maybe this bug is a new feature?
Agreed on the fact that the fan speed may no longer automatically adjust down when using Bluetooth for phone call through the car's speakers and built-in mic. Every generation of noise cancellation improves so the newest models may handle the audio call without issue at whatever fan speed the A/C is on.

My point about the OP's issue when he manually adjusts the fan speed results in the climate control "sync" setting being disable is definitely a bug in the iDrive release he's on. I can do the same and the "sync" setting remains intact as one would expect.
Appreciate 1
Publius29.00
      07-16-2021, 10:22 AM   #9
baf3472
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you all for your replies. As I was playing around with all the settings, Im not quite sure what I did, but now the sync stays after I lower the fan speed. I don't remember seeing a setting for disabling sync after lowering the fan but maybe something else I did changed it or it was just a glitch that fixed itself.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 08:01 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you all for your replies. As I was playing around with all the settings, Im not quite sure what I did, but now the sync stays after I lower the fan speed. I don't remember seeing a setting for disabling sync after lowering the fan but maybe something else I did changed it or it was just a glitch that fixed itself.
Sounds like a glitch that was indeed fixed when you redid all the climate control settings as there is nothing in the way of fan speed within them regarding driver/passenger syncing.
Appreciate 1
baf3472116.50