BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)    Paint Correction/Ceramic Coating

07-01-2021, 06:51 PM   #1
Gone Fishing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Paint Correction/Ceramic Coating

We purchased our 19 X5 a month ago, I’ve been looking for a quality detail shop to clean it up real good and do paint correction where I’m working at. Wife and I travel for work so we’re all over the states. Anyways I found a place and had it detail inside and out, paint correction and applied a ceramic coating on the X5 and it looks absolutely amazing. I should have taken better pictures of it before my wife drove it out of the shop, did not ask what brand of ceramic it was.

It’s been raining all day but at least the water beads up and is nice and shinny.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1625180929

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1625180929
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2022, 03:07 PM   #2
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Fishing View Post
We purchased our 19 X5 a month ago, I’ve been looking for a quality detail shop to clean it up real good and do paint correction where I’m working at. Wife and I travel for work so we’re all over the states. Anyways I found a place and had it detail inside and out, paint correction and applied a ceramic coating on the X5 and it looks absolutely amazing. I should have taken better pictures of it before my wife drove it out of the shop, did not ask what brand of ceramic it was.

It’s been raining all day but at least the water beads up and is nice and shinny.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1625180929

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1625180929
I bought a used x5 too, mine is black saphire metallic.

The clear coat was a horror show when I got it. Scratches everywhere. The rear hatch door was especially bad. There were also a few quarter sized circle shaped areas where the paint looked to have been ground into by a piece of sand paper. I thought painting the entire car was the only way….

Before going for a new paint job I wanted to try a paint correction, I figured for $200 it's worth it. The car literally looked brand new afterwards. Best money I've spent on the car since I've gotten it.

I'm going to invest in a decent polisher. They are worth their weight in gold.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 02:53 PM   #3
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkymcpeterson View Post
Before going for a new paint job I wanted to try a paint correction, I figured for $200 it's worth it. The car literally looked brand new afterwards. Best money I've spent on the car since I've gotten it.

Just to be nerdy - but for good reason - if you paid $200 it wasn't "paint correction" it was "paint enhancement" ...

This might seem overly pedantic, but it's really not if you're looking for vendors ... the price difference between those 2 services can be enormous and, generally, no new car needs "correction".

Again, not to be nerdy, but it can really important if one is calling around looking for a vendor.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 03:04 PM   #4
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:

Just to be nerdy - but for good reason - if you paid $200 it wasn't "paint correction" it was "paint enhancement" ...

This might seem overly pedantic, but it's really not if you're looking for vendors ... the price difference between those 2 services can be enormous and, generally, no new car needs "correction".

Again, not to be nerdy, but it can really important if one is calling around looking for a vendor.
Not sure the actual definition of what was done, I should say the guy that came to my house did a two step polish job. First he cut down the clear coat with a couple passes then came back with a fine swirl remover to finish. He had a couple different polishers of varying size that were used during the process. Probably 4.5 hours of work. He charged 850 for the job if I went for his ceramic coating, which I passed on.

Gotta say I was amazed.

There were no scratches left of any kind that I could find. He brought the plastic trim between the windows back to new condition also. The car would fit in on a showroom floor now. Not sure how long I can keep it in this condition…..The war is on.

He called it a basic paint correction but I honestly don't know. Pretty much he just ran a polisher on it for a couple hours.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      03-29-2022, 03:58 PM   #5
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:

He called it a basic paint correction but I honestly don't know. Pretty much he just ran a polisher on it for a couple hours.
that sounds right and I'm the one corrected - geezus you got a DEAL! Nice job!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 04:26 PM   #6
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:

that sounds right and I'm the one corrected - geezus you got a DEAL! Nice job!
I was happy with the pricing…..the ceramic part cost for some reason is extravagant compare to the rest of the work. The guy that does the work is very reasonable and honest. The ceramic coat must be something special to cost that much more.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 06:28 PM   #7
Lifeisgood20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport

I would love to see pics when you have a chance. The attachments don’t open on my end.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 09:02 AM   #8
jjcools
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 - 335i 6MT

You got a screaming deal. That is even good for ceramic compared to CA prices. I think a standard detail with correction is $800 and then they start adding on from there for interior and engine detail.
2005 - 330i ZHP, Mystic Blue over black (past)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 03:35 PM   #9
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcools View Post
You got a screaming deal. That is even good for ceramic compared to CA prices. I think a standard detail with correction is $800 and then they start adding on from there for interior and engine detail.
Best money I've spent on the car to date. It makes a huge difference.
Appreciate 0