BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    M5 CS Evo Review by Jethro Bovingdon

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-09-2021, 06:38 AM   #1
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
ScullyD's Avatar
United_States
840
Rep
690
Posts

Drives: '20 BMW X4M Comp, '20 M2 CS
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4M Comp  [0.00]
M5 CS Evo Review by Jethro Bovingdon

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Wow (Note: This is the last paragraph of the Evo M5 CS review, and support that publication if you wish to read the entire review which provides alot of insight into the car's nuances)
Attached Images
  

Last edited by ScullyD; 06-09-2021 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 3
flanast105.00
F85MTuNED1354.00
16HC11.00
      06-09-2021, 06:57 AM   #2
crypto
Silly Goose
United_States
164
Rep
295
Posts

Drives: 2021 M550i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Northern Virginia

iTrader: (1)

I don't know. It seems a bit over the top to say it makes you want to have no other cars in your household. I think I really just want to see an honest review from someone who drives an M5C as their DD and has spent a month with M5 CS as their DD.
Appreciate 3
      06-09-2021, 07:01 AM   #3
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
ScullyD's Avatar
United_States
840
Rep
690
Posts

Drives: '20 BMW X4M Comp, '20 M2 CS
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4M Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
I don't know. It seems a bit over the top to say it makes you want to have no other cars in your household. I think I really just want to see an honest review from someone who drives an M5C as their DD and has spent a month with M5 CS as their DD.
I'll take Jethro's word for it, having owned the M2 CS, its tranformatively better than an M2C/OG M2. I just posted the conclusion, the rest of the review is even more gushing and probably warranted.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2021, 07:05 AM   #4
Simon H
Major
Simon H's Avatar
515
Rep
1,100
Posts

Drives: M5 Competition
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

The M5 Competition LCI is just such a stellar car, im still unsure if the CS raises the stakes, and the bar, that much higher, for the +$ involved ?.I know Joe Achilles CS video will be along soon, so a real life POV will be a welcome comparison.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 07:26 AM   #5
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
ScullyD's Avatar
United_States
840
Rep
690
Posts

Drives: '20 BMW X4M Comp, '20 M2 CS
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4M Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
The M5 Competition LCI is just such a stellar car, im still unsure if the CS raises the stakes, and the bar, that much higher, for the +$ involved ?.I know Joe Achilles CS video will be along soon, so a real life POV will be a welcome comparison.
You are saying Joe Achillies is a more real life POV compared to a written review by Jethro Bovington? Jethro's been writing car reviews for 20 years now and Joe Achillies is a limo driver with a youtube channel. Its like comparing Jake Paul to a real boxer.

Last edited by ScullyD; 06-09-2021 at 07:52 AM..
Appreciate 18
werdn239.00
houbmw51.00
EXE461296.00
10"2566.00
MDuckie88.50
Swappy394.50
PLF69944.50
mirob1162.00
Gdiddy23671.00
manuelf134.50
bmellion100.50
troym1.50
      06-09-2021, 08:48 AM   #6
DDD31
Captain
DDD31's Avatar
1267
Rep
795
Posts

Drives: 2021 MBB M5C
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
You are saying Joe Achillies is a more real life POV compared to a written review by Jethro Bovington? Jethro's been writing car reviews for 20 years now and Joe Achillies is a limo driver with a youtube channel. Its like comparing Jake Paul to a real boxer.
Not to mention Joe Achillies is a huge BMW fanboy and I've never seen him criticize a BMW so I always take his reviews with a huge grain of salt.
__________________

2018 Daytona Violet M3 ZCP (retired), 2016 AW 550i (retired)
2013 EBII 335i (retired), 2008 Platinum Bronze 535xi (retired), 2007 Monaco Blue 335i (retired)
1999 Hellrot M3 coupe (retired), 1997 Schwarz 318ti (retired)
Appreciate 1
clee1982755.50
      06-09-2021, 09:19 AM   #7
Greer
Lieutenant Colonel
Greer's Avatar
827
Rep
1,559
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5 Competition
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
The M5 Competition LCI is just such a stellar car, im still unsure if the CS raises the stakes
Yes, if you get the LCI 2022 M5 Competition with ceramic brakes, which has the same new suspension from the M8, how much really does the M5 CS raise the bar considering most of the weight savings is in the CCB's ?
__________________
2019 F90 M5 Competition & 2019 M2 Competition
2017 F80 M3 Competition
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 2
somer329.50
Simon H515.00
      06-09-2021, 09:26 AM   #8
Neptune7
Captain
693
Rep
876
Posts

Drives: F90 M5C (Azurite Black)
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
I don't know. It seems a bit over the top to say it makes you want to have no other cars in your household. I think I really just want to see an honest review from someone who drives an M5C as their DD and has spent a month with M5 CS as their DD.
This.

I get that the CS has great drive characteristics but it seems that journalists have forgotten how potent the M5 competition is. A side by side comparo would be useful. I guess it's hard to get a hold of these two cars at once as they are expensive and relatively rare.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 10:12 AM   #9
Greer
Lieutenant Colonel
Greer's Avatar
827
Rep
1,559
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5 Competition
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
Not to mention Joe Achillies is a huge BMW fanboy and I've never seen him criticize a BMW.
This is not true, Joe Achilles has a BMW M3 and did criticize the sports bucket seats as not being comfortable and maybe not the best for a daily driver.
__________________
2019 F90 M5 Competition & 2019 M2 Competition
2017 F80 M3 Competition
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 10:15 AM   #10
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
87
Rep
475
Posts

Drives: '11 e90 M3, '17 X5 50i
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Granger, IN

iTrader: (1)

For the nominal price increase, the CS feels like a no brainer to me. Add to that the relative exclusivity and probably better resale, the CS comes out as the better buy IMO
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 10:24 AM   #11
AHall
Captain
297
Rep
672
Posts

Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Frisco, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malrash View Post
For the nominal price increase, the CS feels like a no brainer to me. Add to that the relative exclusivity and probably better resale, the CS comes out as the better buy IMO
Really depends on what you want. The M5C offers options the M5CS does not and vice versa. I think both are great cars like so many others. Depends on what is important to and/or desired by each person.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2021, 10:47 AM   #12
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
87
Rep
475
Posts

Drives: '11 e90 M3, '17 X5 50i
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Granger, IN

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Really depends on what you want. The M5C offers options the M5CS does not and vice versa. I think both are great cars like so many others. Depends on what is important to and/or desired by each person.
True for most things in life....agree
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 11:02 AM   #13
Simon H
Major
Simon H's Avatar
515
Rep
1,100
Posts

Drives: M5 Competition
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
You are saying Joe Achillies is a more real life POV compared to a written review by Jethro Bovington? Jethro's been writing car reviews for 20 years now and Joe Achillies is a limo driver with a youtube channel. Its like comparing Jake Paul to a real boxer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
Not to mention Joe Achillies is a huge BMW fanboy and I've never seen him criticize a BMW so I always take his reviews with a huge grain of salt.
I suppose im still skeptical about most reviews ive read atm, the guys whos opinion i really value are Stephen Sutcliffe, Henry Catchpole, whos thoughts i havent heard yet, and perhaps Chris Harris, whos opinion was rock solid for me a while back, but he seems to me he can take or leave cars these days. Looking forward to some more opinions, but still on the fence to, if the car is worth the more expensive price tag, for what you get over an LCI with correct spec etc. .
Also just to mention, Joe usually provides a launch or two, for timing purposes, obviously, and he had a 2.99 to 60mph for the LCI, so im hoping he does this in the CS for a comparison ?.

Last edited by Simon H; 06-09-2021 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 11:08 AM   #14
Simon H
Major
Simon H's Avatar
515
Rep
1,100
Posts

Drives: M5 Competition
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer View Post
Yes, if you get the LCI 2022 M5 Competition with ceramic brakes, which has the same new suspension from the M8, how much really does the M5 CS raise the bar considering most of the weight savings is in the CCB's ?
This is what i did, i bought the new LCI, with CCBs and just laser lights, no comfort packs, no massaging, ventilated seats, no heated steeringwheel, no soft close doors, so a lot of weight out of the car with all associated motors etc. I did order a CS, and got accepted by BMW here to have one, but changed my mind due to big cost difference. Maybe i was wrong, and should have bought the CS, but at this point, im still unsure, so just enjoying the reviews that are now starting to come along .

Last edited by Simon H; 06-09-2021 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 11:13 AM   #15
GNALUZU
Former BMWCCA/NASA AZ HPDE Instructor
GNALUZU's Avatar
United_States
840
Rep
1,517
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 CS
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2022 BMW M5CS  [0.00]
2018 M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
This is what i did, i bought the new LCI, with CCBs and just laser lights, no comfort packs, no massaging, ventilated seats, no heated steeringwheel, no soft close doors, so a lot of weight out of the car with all associated motors etc. I did order a CS, and got accepted by BMW here to have one, but changed my mind due to big cost difference. Maybe i was wrong, and should have bought the CS, but at this point, im still unsure, so just enjoying the reviews that are now starting to come along .
Isn't the price delta between a M5C and the M5CS in Europe more significant than in the US?

I build a M5C online with pretty much all the options that I could find to be as close to the M5CS and it was within about $5k. For that amount it is an easy decision for me.
__________________
GNALUZU

2018 M3 CS
2020 Z4 M40
2022 M5 CS - on order - July Production
Appreciate 3
      06-09-2021, 11:17 AM   #16
Simon H
Major
Simon H's Avatar
515
Rep
1,100
Posts

Drives: M5 Competition
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
Isn't the price delta between a M5C and the M5CS in Europe more significant than in the US?

I build a M5C online with pretty much all the options that I could find to be as close to the M5CS and it was within about $5k. For that amount it is an easy decision for me.
I think it is. I managed a large discount on my car, about 20k, not sure what that is in $. Over here, there is no discount on the CS @ 142k, im sure i could nearly get my money back for my car atm, as its only done 200 miles, and dealers are really starting to struggle for stock, so i would need to put 50k into the deal for a CS, and im just not sure its a 50k better car.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 11:21 AM   #17
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
ScullyD's Avatar
United_States
840
Rep
690
Posts

Drives: '20 BMW X4M Comp, '20 M2 CS
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4M Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
Isn't the price delta between a M5C and the M5CS in Europe more significant than in the US?

I build a M5C online with pretty much all the options that I could find to be as close to the M5CS and it was within about $5k. For that amount it is an easy decision for me.
I think it is. I managed a large discount on my car, about £20k, not sure what that is in $. Over here, there is no discount on the CS @ £142k, im sure i could nearly get my money back for my car atm, as its only done 200 miles, and dealers are really starting to struggle for stock, so i would need to put £50k into the deal for a CS, and im just not sure its a £50k better car.
In the US, it's a $10k USD upgrade on a regular M5. The question is more if it is worth it over an M3 I think.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 11:55 AM   #18
Simon H
Major
Simon H's Avatar
515
Rep
1,100
Posts

Drives: M5 Competition
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
In the US, it's a $10k USD upgrade on a regular M5. The question is more if it is worth it over an M3 I think.
I think thats a no brainer for you guys, and you still get the full fat noise over there too. We seem to pay extortionate prices and have less noise etc .
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 01:52 PM   #19
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
565
Rep
1,674
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: sD, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
I don't know. It seems a bit over the top to say it makes you want to have no other cars in your household. I think I really just want to see an honest review from someone who drives an M5C as their DD and has spent a month with M5 CS as their DD.
Not apples to apples I know but I spent 3yrs in an F80 M3 before getting an M3cs last year and the CS is an entirely, all around, much better car in every way. If you love to drive and u don't care about things like an armrest, the CS versions of any M car seems to be the way many of us wish it came from the factory to begin with. They just blow your mind.

Now I didnt pay MSRP for it but if I did it wouldnt change how I feel about the car all around. I would've just said "well sh*t, I wish I paid less for it". Which is really the same sentence I've echoed after every major purchase made in my entire life ha ...
__________________
Formerly addicted to e46fanatics
Formerly addicted to e90post

Last edited by bmrm396; 06-09-2021 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 2
02M3ForMe721.00
dezzracer673.00
      06-09-2021, 01:53 PM   #20
rs1987
Private
44
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: F90 M5 Competition LCI
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
I think it is. I managed a large discount on my car, about 20k, not sure what that is in $. Over here, there is no discount on the CS @ 142k, im sure i could nearly get my money back for my car atm, as its only done 200 miles, and dealers are really starting to struggle for stock, so i would need to put 50k into the deal for a CS, and im just not sure its a 50k better car.
Ditto. I paid 81k for my LCI, so also a discount of a little over 20k. Compared to a non-discounted M5 CS, it's a no brainer at 60k less...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 02:00 PM   #21
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
ScullyD's Avatar
United_States
840
Rep
690
Posts

Drives: '20 BMW X4M Comp, '20 M2 CS
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4M Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrm396 View Post
Not apples to apples I know but I spent 3yrs in an F80 M3 before getting an M3cs last year and the CS is an entirely, all around, much better car in every way. If you love to drive and u don't care about things like an armrest, the CS versions of any M car seems to be the way many of us wish it came from the factory to begin with. They just blow your mind.
Yeah the M2 CS i bought, i almost didn't want to sign for cause I thought to myself "its not going to be that much better than an OG M2 or an M2C."

In reality, driving it, it feels exponentially better. You have to sift through the noise of people making assumptions about the CS cars compared to people that have actually owned and driven them. In the US at least, that is very few since there were only several hundred M3/M4 CS, ~530 M2 CS, and now ~440 M5 CS (rumored). Jethro's opinion holds alot of weight for me, as he was quite high on the M2 CS and accurate in describing how it feels to me, and obviously he feels very strongly about the M5 CS.
Appreciate 2
bmrm396564.50
GNALUZU840.00
      06-09-2021, 02:06 PM   #22
Habber
Major
Canada
1385
Rep
1,125
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 2018
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (1)

Any news on if BMW will trademark "Jethro" now?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST