ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-01-2008, 10:31 PM   #1
tom_48
BMW Novice
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Garage List
2007 M Coupe'  [0.00]
How to get rid of tiny scrathes???

I have no idea about this topic so I am asking you guys:

What products do I use to get rid of tiny scratches on my car? Like the ones from the car wash, etc.

BTW, this is my post since 2 months ago, b/c for some reason zpost.com would not work on my computer. I really missed it and I am glad I'm back

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 10:35 PM   #2
NoCouT
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 3.0i

It's kinda hard with just your hands.. much easier with a porter cable... but if you are going to do it with your hands, try 3m Imperial hand glaze and then use your regular wax.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 11:18 PM   #3
tom_48
BMW Novice
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 M Coupe'  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCouT View Post
It's kinda hard with just your hands.. much easier with a porter cable... but if you are going to do it with your hands, try 3m Imperial hand glaze and then use your regular wax.
What wax should I use?? and what to apply the glaze??

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 01:18 AM   #4
NoCouT
Private
United_States
Rep

Any applicator, use microfiber to wipe it off. Make sure you use enough glaze or wax, don't dry rub your paint. Miguiar's tech wax, mothers synwax .. any of those are good after the glaze.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

Sounds like you'll need to do some called a "Cut & Polish" Basically this is where a person would use a slightly abrasive 'polishing' compound that would remove a very thin layer of the clear coat, and thus remove all the visable scratches. Unfortunately, there is a maximum number of times you can do this, as in around 3-4 normally, but each time you do the car will shine like brand new.

It is very very possible to seriously destroy your paint if you dont know what you're doing, so I very highly recommend hiring a trained professional to do this for you. Back when I was a detailer YEARS ago, I ruined more then a few paint jobs with swirl marks when I was learning how to do this, There is a lot of technique involved, and a professional will do a cut and polish for around $300-500 most times. Well worth it to me at least.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 06:54 PM   #6
tom_48
BMW Novice
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 M Coupe'  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Sounds like you'll need to do some called a "Cut & Polish" Basically this is where a person would use a slightly abrasive 'polishing' compound that would remove a very thin layer of the clear coat, and thus remove all the visable scratches. Unfortunately, there is a maximum number of times you can do this, as in around 3-4 normally, but each time you do the car will shine like brand new.

It is very very possible to seriously destroy your paint if you dont know what you're doing, so I very highly recommend hiring a trained professional to do this for you. Back when I was a detailer YEARS ago, I ruined more then a few paint jobs with swirl marks when I was learning how to do this, There is a lot of technique involved, and a professional will do a cut and polish for around $300-500 most times. Well worth it to me at least.
But would it last for a longer time???? or would that a job for just a couple of months??

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 07:03 PM   #7
NoCouT
Private
United_States
Rep

Yes, it's permanent.. Just reapply wax every 3months
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #8
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

For that kind of money you can go to Detailers Paradise and buy the product and equipment you need to do your own car. The make a product called Swirl that you can use with the Portcable to take the fine spider webbed scratch marks out. You will have to clay the car first to get it clean. then you can apply a synthetic was called EPIC to protect the paint. Go to their web site and read around. Call and talk to them, they will talk to you. They also make a dvd available to show you how to do it. about a two and 1/2 hour run. Do it your self you will be proud. http://www.detailersparadise.com
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 01:08 AM   #9
cruisingdog
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5i Black

Has anyone got rid of stone chips and then polished out to get a smooth finish ?

I have a stone chip that is showing metal and would like to know how to treat this correctly. Do I need to prime the area ?

Any advice/tips or hints please ?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Look up Langka.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 10:23 AM   #11
Z4_marin
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Tom 48, go to Autopia.org.... read... learn... buy some gear. Here are the basics

1. don't even think about touching your paint with anything but microfiber, sheepskin. no cotton products!
2. Two-bucket wash method
3. clay (if needed - generally I do this annually which is how often I do my big detail)
4. Polish with Porter-cable or similar (I use mezerna with super intensive polish and then the mezerna micropolish)
5. Seal (jet seal or similar - not needed if you wax bi/monthly)
6. Wax (I recommend S100 wax)

Figure on spending ~400-500 for the gear and on a car the size of the Z4 it usually takes me about 8 hours.

good luck!

Also, it is nearly impossible to ruin your paint with a random orbital polisher. Rotary's are what can burn through your paint if you have no experience doing this. I only use my rotary because it is faster it doesn't give different results. Stick with a Porter Cable from www.detailersdomain.com. That website is run by a total professional, some guy named Phil, who I hear you can actually call for advice.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #12
cruisingdog
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5i Black

Langka is crap. Just for the record. Don't waste your money on it. Tried it and it just doesn't work.

I'd like ot do it the old-fashioned way using paint, clearcoat and mild abrasion. However I'd like to know how to do the clearcoat cutting correctly. Any tips ?

I've got a Porter-cable ROP and it works very well. Haven't done any cutting work yet but I think I'm nearly at that point. Ho hum.

TIA.
Appreciate 0