BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > The Active Autowerke EL midpipe and Akrapovic exhaust thread

05-08-2021, 05:03 PM   #1
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
So I just wanted to post some information about the non res AA Equal length midpipe and Akrapovic rear section because I wasn't finding much information on the forums about this combo for the M2C/CS.

I read some posts about how in order for them to be mated together you needed to fabricate a connector. I reached out to @8mpg4me who has the single midpipe combo on his M2c and he told me that it should work (barely) without anything custom, so I just figured I'd go for it and deal with issues if there were any.

The Akra comes with an adapter to connect the left pipes while the right side mates directly together.

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

As you can see in the photo below, due to the length, the two ends don't meet very close to each other, and there is a 1.5" gap which isn't completely covered by the adapter. The clamps do cover the gaps, so I was hoping clamping would be enough to prevent leaks. Although a longer adapter would be nice, clamping over the holes was enough and we didn't find any leaking. The right side had a similar issue with it being just an inch or two short, but also no leaks after clamping.

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

Other than those issues, it seems like the AA EL and the Akra mates together well enough that no custom sleeves are necessary. I haven't checked, but maybe even a longer sleeve from a auto parts store will work. The exhaust seems like a quality part. It feels so light compared to the stock muffler. Unfortunately for me, we identified an issue with a weld on one of the valves on the akra. Right now one of the valves isn't opening/closing properly and I get a lot of valve rattles. Ignoring that, it sounds pretty awesome... The M2CS is subdued compared to the M2C with its stock exhaust, but comes alive with more burbles with the AA/Akra. I am waiting to hear how they want to handle the defective valve. Hopefully, they come through and I can get this thing finished.

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
Appreciate 3
6speed_M24611.00
QM287.00
Talx85.00
      05-08-2021, 09:35 PM   #2
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

Did these clamps come with the Akra or the EL mid pipe?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 09:36 PM   #3
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
They both came with clamps but the ones that fit came with the akra. The ones that come with the AA are meant to be used when connecting the OEM muffler.
Appreciate 1
QM287.00
      05-10-2021, 08:50 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Awesome! thank you for sharing

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 10:06 AM   #5
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post

Can you please post a sound clip?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 11:49 AM   #6
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
Can you please post a sound clip?
Once I they get me a replacement exhaust with a working valve I'll try to get videos.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 04:41 PM   #7
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

Quote:
Once I they get me a replacement exhaust with a working valve I'll try to get videos.

It is not the first time I hear that Akra exhaust has problems with valves.
A friend of mine also bought Akra muffler for his M2C and had issues exactly with valves.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 05:05 PM   #8
Talx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
So I just wanted to post some information about the AA Equal length midpipe and Akrapovic rear section because I wasn't finding much information on the forums about this combo for the M2C/CS.

I read some posts about how in order for them to be mated together you needed to fabricate a connector. I reached out to @8mpg4me who has the single midpipe combo on his M2c and he told me that it should work (barely) without anything custom, so I just figured I'd go for it and deal with issues if there were any.

The Akra comes with an adapter to connect the left pipes while the right side mates directly together.

As you can see in the photo below, due to the length, the two ends don't meet very close to each other, and there is a 1.5" gap which isn't completely covered by the adapter. The clamps do cover the gaps, so I was hoping clamping would be enough to prevent leaks. Although a longer adapter would be nice, clamping over the holes was enough and we didn't find any leaking. The right side had a similar issue with it being just an inch or two short, but also no leaks after clamping.

Other than those issues, it seems like the AA EL and the Akra mates together well enough that no custom sleeves are necessary. I haven't checked, but maybe even a longer sleeve from a auto parts store will work. The exhaust seems like a quality part. It feels so light compared to the stock muffler. Unfortunately for me, we identified an issue with a weld on one of the valves on the akra. Right now one of the valves isn't opening/closing properly and I get a lot of valve rattles. Ignoring that, it sounds pretty awesome... The M2CS is subdued compared to the M2C with its stock exhaust, but comes alive with more burbles with the AA/Akra. I am waiting to hear how they want to handle the defective valve. Hopefully, they come through and I can get this thing finished.

Awesome 👏 thank you, I'm just about to install this setup my self.
Any chance you have a picture of the right side pipe fitment?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 06:31 PM   #9
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talx View Post
Awesome �� thank you, I'm just about to install this setup my self.
Sorry, I forgot to take a pic with it installed, but there is no adapter. The end of the akra side has those slots just like the adapter. The AA side slides directly into the akra side. The gap you can see in the slot is the same as you see on the left side. You can see it in the first picture
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 06:36 PM   #10
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
It is not the first time I hear that Akra exhaust has problems with valves.
A friend of mine also bought Akra muffler for his M2C and had issues exactly with valves.
yeah someone told me that yesterday. Akra valves apparently suck. It was a bad weld. The top of the valve shaft has a slotted piece welded to the top and the spring that connects it to the actuator motor sits in the slot. Well the valve stopped opening after we put the car on the ground and we found that the weld broke and the valve was no longer connected to the actuator. Waiting for a response from Akrapovic. Really hope they resolve this quickly.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 03:05 AM   #11
Talx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Awesome �� thank you, I'm just about to install this setup my self.
Sorry, I forgot to take a pic with it installed, but there is no adapter. The end of the akra side has those slots just like the adapter. The AA side slides directly into the akra side. The gap you can see in the slot is the same as you see on the left side. You can see it in the first picture
Ok thanks, do you think that adding an inch to each side will be enough to close the gap?

I want to install the exhaust my self and if I can take the AA extensions to a shop and just add one inch that would be great.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 07:03 AM   #12
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok thanks, do you think that adding an inch to each side will be enough to close the gap?

I want to install the exhaust my self and if I can take the AA extensions to a shop and just add one inch that would be great.
I *think* it would help. I think the gap on the left side is like 1.5". Not sure about the right but I'm guessing its similar.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 06:27 AM   #13
Talx
Private First Class
Rep

Ok guys, I installed my exhaust setup yesterday, it's an Akrapovic back box and down pipes with AA EL mid pipe.
As you can see the AA rear connection pipes have a slightly larger diameter on the end in order to fit the OE pipes, we only had 2.5" OD SS pipes hanging around, so as you can see in the picture indicated in blue, with a blue arrow indicating the point where the circumference changes, we cut the pipes on the red line and added the extension peace's marked in yellow between them, this way there will be no leak and we keep a snug connection.

According to our measurements the left pipe needed a total of 6 cm (2 and a 1/4 inch)
And the right pipe needed 4 cm ( 1 and 1/2 inch)
Angles of the pipes where predict only the length needed modifying.

Another thing we noticed was the center hanger of the mid pipe was very close to the pipe so we notched it, and the mount needed lowering (probably there was a manufacturing mistake on AA side) because the rubber mount was under to much tension so we used two nuts to lower the mount and get a proper fit for the complete system.

P.S
As to the sound without the cated downpipes the rasp sound like $hit! It's unbearable 🤦*♂️
But once you get past the point of the rasp the sound is amazing, I'm waiting for AA to finish the new resonators they say they are developing in order to give this a solution (I'm not sure what they are doing exactly if at all)

[IMG]https://i.ibb.co/kXhfvMP/3-BDB52-C7-...39-CC91836.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i.ibb.co/dKHtpdM/2-ADD8-BAD-...AC2-E75-A1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i.ibb.co/VB4SB4d/921-F8830-1...BE51156939.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i.ibb.co/2yfrt0f/DA586884-75...-E8873-D15.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i.ibb.co/mGtDZPX/C47-CB6-E3-...2744939-C7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i.ibb.co/FXb9DpN/E8-C8662-C-...594-BEA8-C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i.ibb.co/YLD5VFC/984-B0945-D...833-E129-C.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 1
Wah2780.00
      05-20-2021, 08:51 AM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok guys, I installed my exhaust setup yesterday, it's an Akrapovic back box and down pipes with AA EL mid pipe.
As you can see the AA rear connection pipes have a slightly larger diameter on the end in order to fit the OE pipes, we only had 2.5" OD SS pipes hanging around, so as you can see in the picture indicated in blue, with a blue arrow indicating the point where the circumference changes, we cut the pipes on the red line and added the extension peace's marked in yellow between them, this way there will be no leak and we keep a snug connection.

According to our measurements the left pipe needed a total of 6 cm (2 and a 1/4 inch)

Another thing we noticed was the center hanger of the mid pipe was very close to the pipe so we notched it, and the mount needed lowering (probably there was a manufacturing mistake on AA side) because the rubber mount was under to much tension so we used two nuts to lower the mount and get a proper fit for the complete system.

P.S
As to the sound without the cated downpipes the rasp sound like $hit! It's unbearable 🤦*♂️
But once you get past the point of the rasp the sound is amazing, I'm waiting for AA to finish the new resonators they say they are developing in order to give this a solution (I'm not sure what they are doing exactly if at all)
+1 the resonators will drastically improve the sound.

I had the same experience; it went from an unbearable sound to perfect by switching from non-res to resonated equal length

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 11:00 AM   #15
Talx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:

P.S
+1 the resonators will drastically improve the sound.

I had the same experience; it went from an unbearable sound to perfect by switching from non-res to resonated equal length
I'm so sorry but I don't understand what you are saying, I have the Resonated mid pipe version but with open downpipes, and the rasp around 2000 rpm is unbearable as in not good.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 11:31 AM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm so sorry but I don't understand what you are saying, I have the Resonated mid pipe version but with open downpipes, and the rasp around 2000 rpm is unbearable as in not good.
I had rasp with high flow catted downpipe + non-res ; it got fixed by getting the resonated midpipe and pairing it with the high flow cats

Appreciate 1
Talx85.00
      05-20-2021, 12:20 PM   #17
Supadice
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

Quote:
Quote:
I had rasp with high flow catted downpipe + non-res ; it got fixed by getting the resonated midpipe and pairing it with the high flow cats
Mike how's the sound with a Remus Race with resonated EL pipes
      05-20-2021, 12:29 PM   #18
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supadice View Post
Depends on the downpipe, i think it sounds best with stock downpipes
Race muffler sounds best with high flow catted

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 01:10 PM   #19
Talx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supadice View Post
Depends on the downpipe, i think it sounds best with stock downpipes
Race muffler sounds best with high flow catted
Ok, high flow catted isn't the same as catless downpipes I guess, it needs better designed resonators for open downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 08:48 AM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, high flow catted isn't the same as catless downpipes I guess, it needs better designed resonators for open downpipes.
Why not just go with catted downpipes? Same performance, better sound and no fuel smell

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 11:27 AM   #21
Talx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Why not just go with catted downpipes? Same performance, better sound and no fuel smell
I already installed the Akrapovic downpipes and I didn't realize that the sound was going to be this horrible, plus AA promised revised rear resonators to solve the rasp which should be with no extra cost compared to spending another 2k on new catted downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 03:38 PM   #22
trainwreck1446
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Really want to hear some audio on this
Appreciate 0