BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > PPF worth the price?

05-07-2021, 03:54 PM   #1
azndrvr
Rep
Drives: 12' Merc E350 21' M2 Comp

PPF worth the price?

My m2c finally arrived after placing a deposit back in November and I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on pff? My first instinct is to do a full wrap as I plan on tracking the car occasionally, but after getting a few quotes from multiple detailers, I am looking at around anywhere from $5000-$8000 for a full wrap, I understand it the value of having proper work done, but does roughly ppf justify 10-15% of the cars value?

I am almost considering just having full front and partial areas with ceramic coat done.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 05:00 PM   #2
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
I only wrap the front.

Once you use PPF you’ll have a love hate relationship w/it. No matter how well applied it will lift on tight edges, it’ll get dirt under it and when a rock or something hits it will tear and need to be replaced.

So the more you cover the more chances for an issues. Treat it like insurance buy what you think you’ll need and hope you were right.

BTW, just my opinion but $5-$8K is INSANE. I think most (not all) posting about full wraps PPF or vinyl either own a shop, work at a shop, have a friend or are advertising. JMO

Last edited by omasou; 05-16-2021 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 05:11 PM   #3
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
I only wrap the front.

Once you use PPF you’ll have a love hate relationship w/it. No matter how well applied it will lift on tight edges, it’ll get dirt under it and when a rock or something hits it it will tear and need to be replaced.

So the more you cover the more chances for an issues. Treat it like insurance buy what you think you’ll need and hope you were right.

BTW, just my opinion but $5-$8K is INSANE. I think most (not all) posting about full wraps PPF or vinyl either own a shop, work at a shop, have a friend or are advertising. JMO
AGREE, they made 3 attempts at the front bumper but it still isn't right so I gave up. However, I also added rocker panels as it was cheap. The paint is SO THIN it takes very little time to be destroyed without protection.
Appreciate 1
omasou2089.00
      05-07-2021, 05:30 PM   #4
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Well…I'm on the other end.

I did a full body Suntek Ultra and couldn't be happier! Sure, if I closely examine the corners and edges, i could see some dirt being accumulated, or a minuscule edge coming undone…but YOU HAVE TO LOOK for them.

Not a single person who I showcased my car knew it was PPF'd, until I told them, even after touching the surface they had a hard time believing.

My take: if you do a full body PPF, it's REALLY hard ti notice it. However, the protection I get from it, and the piece of mind the bug splatter, minor rocks, bird poop, tree sap…they won't damage my paint. And in 10 yrs, my M2C will look like today…

I vote: YES it's worth it.
      05-07-2021, 06:55 PM   #5
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
I only wrap the front.

Once you use PPF you’ll have a love hate relationship w/it. No matter how well applied it will lift on tight edges, it’ll get dirt under it and when a rock or something hits it it will tear and need to be replaced.

AGREE, they made 3 attempts at the front bumper but it still isn't right so I gave up. However, I also added rocker panels as it was cheap. The paint is SO THIN it takes very little time to be destroyed without protection.
I did the rockers on my old AMG and under bumper behind rear wheels.

For M2 I'm toying w/some colored vinyl. It won't last but that's ok.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2021, 12:35 PM   #6
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Personally I HATE the stuff, I took over 1kg of the stuff off with a heat gun when I bought the car last year, it was yellowed and had edges lifting and looked awful up close

I know there will be some saying it was a poor fitment, inferior material etc etc but they ALL look worse than a good wax and decent jobs are expensive, give me a few stone chips any day of the week.
Appreciate 2
c1pher4674.50
smknjoe234.00
      06-17-2021, 12:38 PM   #7
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Well…I'm on the other end.

I did a full body Suntek Ultra and couldn't be happier! Sure, if I closely examine the corners and edges, i could see some dirt being accumulated, or a minuscule edge coming undone…but YOU HAVE TO LOOK for them.

Not a single person who I showcased my car knew it was PPF'd, until I told them, even after touching the surface they had a hard time believing.

My take: if you do a full body PPF, it's REALLY hard ti notice it. However, the protection I get from it, and the piece of mind the bug splatter, minor rocks, bird poop, tree sap…they won't damage my paint. And in 10 yrs, my M2C will look like today…

I vote: YES it's worth it.
Tell me you are happy in 2 years time, you might not notice but you would see a difference if you left one panel to compare
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 05:33 AM   #8
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [10.00]
I am glad I did my whole car. It's so easy to wash, and I would continue to do this for all my cars moving forward. Except our X7, it's a lease and it would cost too much. Do it!
      06-18-2021, 05:34 AM   #9
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera2RS View Post
Personally I HATE the stuff, I took over 1kg of the stuff off with a heat gun when I bought the car last year, it was yellowed and had edges lifting and looked awful up close

I know there will be some saying it was a poor fitment, inferior material etc etc but they ALL look worse than a good wax and decent jobs are expensive, give me a few stone chips any day of the week.
I feel the same way. Dr Colorchip is my friend.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 07:32 AM   #10
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I feel the same way. Dr Colorchip is my friend.
Yes forgot that stuff must look into that again. I’ve gone off tyre shine as well these days, just like a bit of well cleaned rubber
Appreciate 1
c1pher4674.50