BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)    Is it true Alpine White requires different "special" care? See article

05-03-2021, 11:03 PM   #1
tracy8282
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i x Gran Coupe (gone),

Is it true Alpine White requires different "special" care? See article

Now I'm concerned I made the wrong choice. Well, actually it was my only choice with the packages I wanted and it has HK. Slim pickins
3 year lease Alpine white x40i

I came across this article on BMW .com Seriously? Why don't people talk about this?
https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-li...-on-paint.html

"Matt paints need to be cared for in a totally different way"
Martin Jaworski
Product Manager BMW Color System

What have I gotten into? I thought this had a tough clear coat?
I know many of you hand wash. Unfortunately, I now have some
physical limitations and am not able to hand wash or power wash my car. I am meticulously clean and keep my cars in best shape I can.

I was looking into ceramic coat b/c of carwash. I will be taking it through the best one available. (hard stop)
Never thought Alpine White was anything other than "not metallic".
No one has ever mentioned it needs special care, I have not read about it until today.

What do you know /what to do?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 08:02 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy8282 View Post
Never thought Alpine White was anything other than "not metallic". No one has ever mentioned it needs special care...What do you know /what to do?
not true. BMW alpine white (300) is a solid, flat paint which is not the same as matte paint. no one mentioned it needs special care, because it doesn't.

your alpine white has a gloss clear coat unlike the matte paint that article you linked mentions, which BMW calls "Frozen" paint. those require special care.

you're fine. "much ado about nothing."

Last edited by nZtiZia; 05-04-2021 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2021, 08:39 AM   #3
tracy8282
Rep

Whew, that's great news! The article is not clear. I just read Great tips for taking care of your paint.
Indeed, "Much ado about nothing"

That being said,
It's being delivered next week from out of state.

Is there a type of ceramic coating that's better than another?
I also read esp w AW it would be good to get PPF on body behind the wheels and in front of door where tire debris can damage.
Suggestions?
I'm turning it in in three years but I like to keep it looking good. A little prevention up front can be worth it.

Thanks and Cheers!

Last edited by tracy8282; 05-04-2021 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 09:35 AM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Whew, that's great news! The article is not clear. I just read Great tips for taking care of your paint.

That being said,
It's being delivered next week from out of state.

Is there a type of ceramic coating that's better than another?
I also read esp w AW it would be good to get PPF on body behind the wheels and in front of door where tire debris can damage.
Suggestions?
I'm turning it in in three years but I like to keep it looking good. A little prevention up front can be worth it.

Thanks and Cheers!
great news on your pending delivery!
if there's a chance you will purchase after the lease, i would recommend protection, but personally, i wouldn't invest too much. still, you are entitled to spend the money and protect however you please. my previous car was a metallic white '15 Audi Q7 that i had for 5 years. in hindsight, i would've done ceramic for sure. my detailer uses Gyeon for ceramic, and i'm very pleased with it. i've also heard good things about CQuartz. inquire about durability. there are products and applications that will last 3 years, so do it once, and you're good!

as for ppf, most folks recommend full front and lower rocker panels including the lower doors at minimum. i would include the A pillars if you go this route. i ppf'd my whole X5 because i did a stealth transformation and plan to keep it a while.

there is ongoing assumption that ppf and/or ceramic will increase the value of your car at lease-end, but they won't. if u purchased and sold the car privately, it could. (i don't know about trading it in.) some auto insurances may not cover ppf or ceramic after an accident. just some stuff to keep in mind...

enjoy and be safe!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 10:01 AM   #5
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Congrats on the new vehicle!

Actually the article is clear and talks about BMW paints in general.

Then it's specifically calls out topic #7, Matt or Matte paints.

"No sheen: matt paint is a special case "Matt paints need to be cared for in a totally different way," Martin Jaworski stresses..."

Then it continues on to clarify:

"…However all other types of automotive paint such as metallic or effect paint, do not need any special treatment. "They have a clear coat layer, which means they are not different from solid paints in the kind of care they need," Jaworski says.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 10:32 AM   #6
todd92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 ZHP, 19 X5 xDrive40i

Alpine White is neither matte nor flat. It's definitely gloss and needs no special care of any kind.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2021, 11:10 AM   #7
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd92 View Post
Alpine White is neither matte nor flat. It's definitely gloss and needs no special care of any kind.
if u search this forum, most regard "flat" as meaning non-metallic irrespective of the glossy clear coat as a way of defining its lack of "depth" compared to more complicated metallic, pearl, or multi-layer paint colors like Mineral White Metallic (A96). BTW, i did mention in my post #2 above:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
your alpine white has a gloss clear coat[...]
when speaking about house paint, it's true that "flat" does mean matte or non-glossy, but we ain't talkin' houses here...

Last edited by nZtiZia; 05-04-2021 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 01:24 PM   #8
tracy8282
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
if u search this forum, most regard "flat" as meaning non-metallic irrespective of the glossy clear coat as a way of defining its lack of "depth" compared to more complicated metallic, pearl, or multi-layer paint colors like Mineral White Metallic (A96). BTW, i did mention in my post #2 above:

when speaking about house paint, it's true that "flat" does mean matte or non-glossy, but we ain't talkin' houses here...
LOL! I guess we could call it "satin"
I searched forum for Alpine White didn't find much. Not that it isn't in here somewhere.
In the last week , I'm trying to learn how to use the forums and more about my BMW. Don't think I'm doing well with either.
Thanks for taking the time.

Last edited by tracy8282; 05-04-2021 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4628.00
      05-04-2021, 01:36 PM   #9
tracy8282
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Congrats on the new vehicle!

Actually the article is clear and talks about BMW paints in general.

Then it's specifically calls out topic #7, Matt or Matte paints.

"No sheen: matt paint is a special case "Matt paints need to be cared for in a totally different way," Martin Jaworski stresses..."

Then it continues on to clarify:

"…However all other types of automotive paint such as metallic or effect paint, do not need any special treatment. "They have a clear coat layer, which means they are not different from solid paints in the kind of care they need," Jaworski says.
Thanks.
Auricom, you are always here with a response. Do you know of a place or a thread for newbie BMW owners, specifically for the x5 40i where I can ask "dumb" questions about the car and features.
Seems like not a lot of talk about that here, or am I missing something?
You know I'm still learning the Forum.
I'm really curious and excited about the tech and want to use it.
I've checked out You Tube and know the car has it's own videos.
It would be nice to interact.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 03:43 PM   #10
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
LOL! I guess we could call it "satin"
I searched forum for Alpine White didn't find much.
nah, AW is definitely not satin, which would imply a matte finish, which it's not. its clear coat is glossy, no doubt about it.