BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Modding a 2018 Downpipes, Exhaust and Tune... CHANCES OF A BIG FAILURE AND A BIG BILL

03-15-2021, 09:59 PM   #1
BrntRubber
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 991 Speedster and F90 M5

Modding a 2018 Downpipes, Exhaust and Tune... CHANCES OF A BIG FAILURE AND A BIG BILL

Hi All,

I am ready to pull the mod trigger but want to quantify the risk of something going very wrong and getting a huge bill.

I am based in the UK and will be using Evolve for all the mods;
Downpipes
Tune (110hp and 150 Torque)
Spacers
MSS lowering kit

Can someone please shed some light on how often molded cars have experienced major problems?

What have most the problems been? Engine failure? Gearbox failure? How much are those to fix?

I really want to quantify the risk as best I can before pulling the trigger. I won't be dynoing the car or tracking it often, but I will be pushing her hard.

Thank you

The car currently has 25k miles and I will likely put 25k on her in the 5 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 03:51 AM   #2
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Are you the original owner? I would be interested in the difference you will feel before and after the modifications. How will you use the additional power on public roads?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 05:12 AM   #3
BrntRubber
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Are you the original owner? I would be interested in the difference you will feel before and after the modifications. How will you use the additional power on public roads?
No I am not the original owner.

I have to assume so much additional power and torque with no extra weight + the improvement in sound would likely make it feel like a totally different car.

These mods plus spacers and mss lowering kit including fitment can all be done for the price delta of an m5 vs a comp.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 08:27 AM   #4
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Mods

I do believe that everything you are doing is tried and tested by many forum members and you should be safe. My best advice - get an oil analysis if you really want to find out if you have any unusual wear going on inside your motor.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2021, 10:07 AM   #5
BrntRubber
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Just bought my new baby. A fully loaded 2018 Azurite Metallic with Ceramics
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 10:54 AM   #6
DrivenAgain
MFJWADE
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrntRubber View Post
Just bought my new baby. A fully loaded 2018 Azurite Metallic with Ceramics
Moonroof delete? Post some pics I love that color.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 03:31 PM   #7
BrntRubber
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenAgain View Post
Moonroof delete? Post some pics I love that color.
Yes and upgrading all exterior trim to CF shortly along with some MSS height adjustment and some tasty new wheels hopefully.

Here are some of her in her 9em form.

Here are the options:
Attached Images

Last edited by BrntRubber; 03-16-2021 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 12:14 AM   #8
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I did a lot of research before modding mine too. There's only one thing that seems to fail, rods. How many have failed is a huge mystery. I know of one for sure that was running 91 octane fuel on a 93 octane tune. Thats the only one I know of. I've heard engine builders say they have 5 F90s with bent rods they are currently rebuilding though. Not sure if it was true.

Two things mainly cause rod failures. The first is bad fuel. Run an E85 mix or meth injection to be safe. I did both. The second is too much torque at low RPM. besides first gear, I wouldn't go full throttle below 3500-4000rpm. The torque stays the same from about 2k rpm until 7k. When it's spinning faster, the rods are being stressed much less. If you do those things with a tune to 22-23psi, you should be very safe.

If rods bend, the cost is basically labor to change the engine and the price of a used engine. I've seen them for 20k I think. Maybe less. New is 65k I've heard. If the rod doesn't go through the block you may be able to rebuild, but still looking at 15-20k.
2023 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Appreciate 2
BSdoc44.50
      03-19-2021, 03:37 AM   #9
BrntRubber
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdriver17 View Post
I did a lot of research before modding mine too. There's only one thing that seems to fail, rods. How many have failed is a huge mystery. I know of one for sure that was running 91 octane fuel on a 93 octane tune. Thats the only one I know of. I've heard engine builders say they have 5 F90s with bent rods they are currently rebuilding though. Not sure if it was true.

Two things mainly cause rod failures. The first is bad fuel. Run an E85 mix or meth injection to be safe. I did both. The second is too much torque at low RPM. besides first gear, I wouldn't go full throttle below 3500-4000rpm. The torque stays the same from about 2k rpm until 7k. When it's spinning faster, the rods are being stressed much less. If you do those things with a tune to 22-23psi, you should be very safe.

If rods bend, the cost is basically labor to change the engine and the price of a used engine. I've seen them for 20k I think. Maybe less. New is 65k I've heard. If the rod doesn't go through the block you may be able to rebuild, but still looking at 15-20k.
Thank you for the help bud.

I knownthe Evolve tune with downpipes is an additional 110hp & 150lb/ft on a stock vehicle. I am not sure how much psi that is.

I have never mixed fuel or injected meth so I am not sure what's involved with that. I will nevertheless Race Race csr or take her to the drag strip. I just want to enjoy a bonkers fast sports sedan.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 06:17 AM   #10
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

tell evolve you want a conservative tune, and stick with pump gas.

and have a blank check standing nearby..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 07:09 AM   #11
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

The designers likely designed the car/engine to withstand a maximum load. Once that is exceeded your risk of components failing is much higher. I am not saying there is no risk without modification, but the risk with modification is likely much higher.

Maybe consider a car fast enough for you in stock form like a Tesla or Porsche Turbo S. This way you don't need to tinker with the design and will have a much lower risk of engine failure due to bent rods, crank shaft failure, etc
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 08:16 AM   #12
BrntRubber
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post

Quote:
The designers likely designed the car/engine to withstand a maximum load. Once that is exceeded your risk of components failing is much higher. I am not saying there is no risk without modification, but the risk with modification is likely much higher.

Maybe consider a car fast enough for you in stock form like a Tesla or Porsche Turbo S. This way you don't need to tinker with the design and will have a much lower risk of engine failure due to bent rods, crank shaft failure, etc
Tesla is out because build quality is terrible. Porsche Turbo S is out because I am big Porsche Customer and buy all the GT cars.

This M5 is the all rounder family car. It was my understanding Downpipes and a tune that isn't too aggressive wasn't too hard on the car.

I will only put around 2k to 3k miles a year on her.

If the risk of a serious malfunction increases dramatically then maybe I will need to rethink the tune with downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 05:55 PM   #13
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrntRubber View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post

Quote:

Tesla is out because build quality is terrible. Porsche Turbo S is out because I am big Porsche Customer and buy all the GT cars.

This M5 is the all rounder family car. It was my understanding Downpipes and a tune that isn't too aggressive wasn't too hard on the car.

I will only put around 2k to 3k miles a year on her.

If the risk of a serious malfunction increases dramatically then maybe I will need to rethink the tune with downpipes.
You should be fine. I drove my car like I stole it with a JB4 on map 2 for 14k miles and never had an issue. I probably floored it 15+ times on every drive. Maybe don't worry about meth, just mix in a few gallons of E85 if it's easy to get. 4-5 gallons per tank. It helps a lot.
2023 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Appreciate 0