BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)    Help me build a shopping list

03-10-2021, 03:50 PM   #1
sfscott
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

Help me build a shopping list

Having recently put PPF and ceramic coating on my new X5M and ceramic coating on the wheels and leather interior, I am no grappling with the prospect of no more automatic carwashes. There is a local detailer that will do hand washes for at decent price, but that is subject to their schedule and mine, so I am thinking of biting the bullet and assembling a kit for DIY washes.

Having read a lot of posts and websites, I am more confused as to what and where to start than I was before, so I am asking the hive to recommend some tools and products. My only constraints are (a) while liking things OCD/Concours perfect, I am not terribly good or patient doing the work; (b)Don't have a huge driveway for washing, and the boss is sensitive to my buying and storing lots of...um...stuff and (c) I want to be efficient; I don't have multiple hours to spend every week or so and don't consider detailing a hobby.

The car is Carbon Black Metallic with shadowline trim and black bits. Paint correction was done before a full wrap with Xpel PPF and coating with ceramic pro. So, please recommend me the best tools and cleaners, including:

*hose attached foam gun (don't think a pressure washer is in the cards)
*shampoo that is best for the ceramic and PPF--as well as a dark car
*Washing mits
*Microfiber towels
*Wheel cleaner
*Wheel cleaning tools
*Blow dryer/blower/vacuum
*Leather products for Nappa leather that's been coated
*Other stuff, beyond buckets and grit guards

I am focused on protecting the coating and developing a fast/easy routine, like wet, foam, mit wash, rinse, blow, MF towel and then wheels. Interior will be less of a priority and probably handled when I go to the local detailer.

I am super confused by which products are considered optimal for my color and exterior protection--and what I need to do and not do. I am happy to mix/match brands but don't want to screw anything up or peel the paint off of the wheels.

Help me spend my money...by brand, item and model.

P.S., if anyone is aware of a PPF/Ceramic-safe automated car wash on the SF peninsula, I am dying to know!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 03:04 PM   #2
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

I have a Sapphire Black X5 with Tartufo leather.

Wash Mitt: I use Chemical Guys Chenille the bright green one.
Towels: Chemical Guys Woolly Mammoth drying towel or Adam’s ultra plush drying towel. Also various micro fibers from Adam’s or Chemical Guys...there are others that are good too.
Soap: Adam’s mega foam shampoo. I have used all the Adam’s shampoo and they all work well.
Wheels: Adam’s wheel cleaner and Adam’s tire and rubber cleaner. Adam’s large and small wooly wheel brushes.
Blow dryer: Ego Power + 650 CFM blower
Leather: Adam’s leather cleaner and Adam’s leather conditioner. My seats are ceramic coated and this seems fine.
I user CarPro reload as a drying agent every few washes to keep the ceramic going, lots of salt here and I like to keep the hydrophobic capability up.

Can’t help much on the foam gun, I use a pressure washer and foam canon.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 09:50 PM   #3
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Any car wash of your choice just as long as it is ph neutral.

Appreciate 0