E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Wheels / tyres for trackdays?

10-23-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
bobgrey64
Private
Rep
Drives: Car Model

Wheels / tyres for trackdays?

I'm interested in peoples thoughts on the best value for money wheels for trackdays (either oem-BMW or other makes) and in a size that will mean I can get either some trackday rubber or very good road tyres....non-RFT (as if I even need to say that! lol).

Clearly the best solution would be some BBS rims and Michelin Cup tyres, but something a bit easier on the wallet would be nice, since its a second set of wheels that will usually stay in the shed. Finally, I don't want to change my primary set of wheels (with runflats) purely because my company will pay to change those when they get low.

Also, whats the smallest size wheel that will fit over the brakes on a 320d? 16"?

So any good websites for suitable wheels and tyres?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketheman2k View Post
I'm interested in peoples thoughts on the best value for money wheels for trackdays (either oem-BMW or other makes) and in a size that will mean I can get either some trackday rubber or very good road tyres....non-RFT (as if I even need to say that! lol).

Clearly the best solution would be some BBS rims and Michelin Cup tyres, but something a bit easier on the wallet would be nice, since its a second set of wheels that will usually stay in the shed. Finally, I don't want to change my primary set of wheels (with runflats) purely because my company will pay to change those when they get low.

Also, whats the smallest size wheel that will fit over the brakes on a 320d? 16"?

So any good websites for suitable wheels and tyres?
Funnily enough, I was thinking about this exact thing a few days ago.

You want wheels that are designed for the car, so my suggestion would be to get a set of (ideally) 17 inch alloys that someone has taken off as part of a rim upgrade. Seem to be on ebay fairly regularly for a few hundred.

Just bin the RFT's (if they come with them) or use them until they become slicks
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
why smaller rims? if you had only 18" then they should be fine. Im sure that the smaller rims are also not as girthy. So less rubba on the track.
      10-23-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
bobgrey64
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
why smaller rims? if you had only 18" then they should be fine. Im sure that the smaller rims are also not as girthy. So less rubba on the track.
Smaller = less unsprung weight and less inertia = quicker on track. It also means cheaper trackday tyres which are usually very expensive in 18 and 19" sizes. You do make a good point about less rubber on the track though - with no lsd I'd want to have at least a 245-section on the back.

NFS, yeah I think a stock OEM wheel would be the cheapest way - guess I could spray it black and it would look a little more 'track stylee' lol. The standard wheels are the same width front and back though aren't they? Like I said, would prefer wider at the rear.

Where's the best place to buy R888's or Yoko track tyres?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Smaller = less unsprung weight and less inertia = quicker on track. It also means cheaper trackday tyres which are usually very expensive in 18 and 19" sizes. You do make a good point about less rubber on the track though - with no lsd I'd want to have at least a 245-section on the back.

NFS, yeah I think a stock OEM wheel would be the cheapest way - guess I could spray it black and it would look a little more 'track stylee' lol. The standard wheels are the same width front and back though aren't they? Like I said, would prefer wider at the rear.

Where's the best place to buy R888's or Yoko track tyres?

I knew all that mate...

Are you a racing driver?

Mate i would concentrate on getting consistently quick lap times before you plow money into special tryes.

I know my car will not go any ounce quicker on a track unless i mod it with decent tyres. Cant be arsed to spend money on that though.

Kkeep with the 18" the perfomance difference with straightline acceleration is probably non existant.
      10-24-2008, 04:46 AM   #6
bobgrey64
Private
Rep

Yeah I'm a famous driver, my surname begins with Sch...

The main reason behind getting a second set of wheels is so I can actually book a trackday or go to the 'ring without worrying about what the weathers doing. As I said, I can't ditch the runflats on the WTCC wheels so I might as well get track-biased tyres. And yeah, my lap times are fairly consistent and I don't think I could much more out of a standard road car (and still be able to drive home in it!), so tyres seem like a logical step.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 07:49 AM   #7
jw2000
Private
Tokelau
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Yeah I'm a famous driver, my surname begins with Sch...

The main reason behind getting a second set of wheels is so I can actually book a trackday or go to the 'ring without worrying about what the weathers doing. As I said, I can't ditch the runflats on the WTCC wheels so I might as well get track-biased tyres. And yeah, my lap times are fairly consistent and I don't think I could much more out of a standard road car (and still be able to drive home in it!), so tyres seem like a logical step.
Sch,
What happen to your sponsers?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 08:23 AM   #8
bobgrey64
Private
Rep

Ze 'rarri wheels are over-rated ja!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 08:44 AM   #9
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Schumi, good to see you've finally come to your senses and ditched the "rarri" for a bimmer
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #10
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I knew all that mate...

Are you a racing driver?

Mate i would concentrate on getting consistently quick lap times before you plow money into special tryes.

I know my car will not go any ounce quicker on a track unless i mod it with decent tyres. Cant be arsed to spend money on that though.

Kkeep with the 18" the perfomance difference with straightline acceleration is probably non existant.
I suggested 17 inch rims, because I reckon those will be cheapest on ebay.

I'd be after the most gradual progression possible at the limit, so I could enjoy the handling on track. On that basis softer sidewalls with higher profiles and smaller contact patch would be the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 07:31 PM   #11
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
I suggested 17 inch rims, because I reckon those will be cheapest on ebay.

I'd be after the most gradual progression possible at the limit, so I could enjoy the handling on track. On that basis softer sidewalls with higher profiles and smaller contact patch would be the way to go.
If you could drive.
      10-25-2008, 04:04 AM   #12
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If you could drive.
Cheeky Feckwah

Last edited by NFS; 10-25-2008 at 04:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 04:28 AM   #13
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Cheeky Feckwah
I didnt mean you personally, but talking generally.
      10-25-2008, 05:20 AM   #14
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I didnt mean you personally, but talking generally.
Fair enough

I'm not a great driver, but I love doing it and I do learn a little more each time I go on a track.

I just think that most people will get more out of the experience if they have a car with exploitable handling rather than a set up that's aimed at speed.

Let's face it - on most track days you aren't going to be looking at the clock and there will always be faster drivers on the circuit (in my case anyway ). So personally I'd be using my time on track to build up experience, try to get the lines right, be consistent and build up my car control on the limit.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 05:37 AM   #15
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
But when driving a balanced car like a bmw it will suffice for a learner in stock trim. You wont really gain anything by mucking about with it right away.
      10-25-2008, 05:51 AM   #16
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
But when driving a balanced car like a bmw it will suffice for a learner in stock trim. You wont really gain anything by mucking about with it right away.
Agreed, but you the point for me would be to have a spare set of rims with non-runflats that you can drop onto the car for track days. That way I don't need to worry about the tread level being legal on the way home.

Mikes obviously talking about going beyond this and trying to improve his cars performance with track tyres. My feeling is that this might actually detract from the enjoyment of the track day, because the limit will be higher and reached less progressively.

In other words, you'll be enjoying the slight increase in cornering speed with track tyres right up until the moment that you are thrown into the gravel trap backwards.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 11:02 AM   #17
bobgrey64
Private
Rep

You talk sense NFS. I certainly wouldn't want to turn my car into some sort of Carrera GT-type all grip then nothing car but the E9x is probably one of the most organic cars in terms of feedback and control, so giving it more grip but making it more challenging wouldn't be a bad thing. For that reason I'd be a bit concerned about putting higher profile tyres on because its quite soft enough as it is (for the track) and that's with low-profile runflats on. Due to the R888's costing twice that of T1-R's I'll probably stick with a road tyre anyway - the R's seem to work well on track for a standard tyre.

Since I already have the 320si/WTCC wheels, do they weigh a decent amount less than standard 18" OEM wheels? Might be worth getting a set of 18" for the road and swap the tyres over.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #18
bobgrey64
Private
Rep

Quote:
Who's the learner?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 11:26 AM   #19
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Who's the learner?
I did ask but you never answered my question earlier.
      10-25-2008, 11:34 AM   #20
bobgrey64
Private
Rep

I'm not a racing driver, but I enjoy trackdays, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 12:00 PM   #21
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
And you need no more tuition? Your car will possibly not go any faster now without modification?

cool.. The tyres will work wonders.