03-04-2021, 02:48 PM   #1
AlZ4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Noises from the roof structure

I've had my Z4 for about 20 months now. I've noticed as it's aging, creaks, squeaks, and other noises from the roof structure have been increasing. It's by no means bad, but is noticeable over bumps or when the chassis is subject to twists like going from the road to the driveway. Some of it may be due to lower temperatures, but I don't think all of it is.

My son had a VW Eos, which was a hard top convertible, and in the owners manual it recommended a VW part number which was an oil to be used on the roof seals every 6 months to prevent leaks and cut down on noise. It definitely cut down on noise whenever it was applied.

My question is, do we need to be conditioning the rubber seals in the roof in any way and if so, what should we be using? I did not see anything in the manual.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 03:52 AM   #2
spbbonzo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

I have exactly the same issue and as hard as I try I can't find a pattern. It seems to rattle and creak when it feels like it. If I press the inside of the roof behind my head it creaks like mad so not sure if it's a fabric issue or something more structural. I think it may be time to take it to the dealers.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 07:53 AM   #3
AlZ4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Drove this weekend and temps were in the mid 60s F. Most if not all of the creaks and squeaks seemed to be gone. So it probably is temperature related.

My question still remains though, do we need to be conditioning the seals in any way to keep noises down in the future?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 10:12 PM   #4
anandroid
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

I just got my z4. I had this issue in the morning heat in Florida, for me it creaks behind my right ear, and feels like it from the speaker. Have you found any solution to it yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 04:02 AM   #5
spbonzo
Rep
Drives: Z4 G29

I experienced the same thing for a while and was totally stumped as to what the cause was. I fixed my issue by lowering the roof and pressing down on the bar that links the roll bars. The creaking stopped.

It does reappear now and again but the same fix always works. I assume that there's a small amount of play in the fitting that may be agitated after hitting a bump.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2022, 01:50 AM   #6
yo4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022G29Z4M40i & 2023G05X5 40d

Garage List
Germans said,

proceed as follows.
Clean the convertible top seal including the cowl panel seal in the A-pillar / window contact with a lint-free cloth moistened with water.
Info: Do not under any circumstances clean the seals with silicone remover, as otherwise the anti-friction coating will be damaged.
Clean side window.
Apply Aquapel window treatment into the seal in the area of the run-in surface of the side windows and allow to dry with the door open.
Appreciate 1
BMWGirlFL6316.50
      10-08-2022, 10:27 PM   #7
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo4 View Post
Apply Aquapel window treatment into the seal in the area of the run-in surface of the side windows and allow to dry with the door open.
What seal is that, the window seal on the exterior of the door? If so, I understand leaving the door open, so the windows don't retract before the Aquapel has dried.

I use Aquapel on my windshield but it seems a bit strange to apply it to a seal. This is somehow related to noises from the roof structure, or have I taken this out of context?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 12:19 AM   #8
Mastakko
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW Z4 30i

Garage List
I know a lot of the creaks I hear with my top up is from the pressure the top can put on the plastic pieces behind the roll bar. Also it's different if I leave wind deflector in or not. If those plastic trim pieces for the roll bar were sealed better to roll bar joints or had gaskets they'd reduce a lot of the noise.

I also think some of the rattles and creaks is just the flexibility of the top and the body moves slightly along the road.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 08:26 AM   #9
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
I have owned rag top convertibles since 1994 (2 BMW's & 2 Mercedes) and over time they all start to make noise. IMHO, it is the nature of the beast and unless the sounds are outrageously loud which means something is either loose or broken my fix is to increase the volume of my sound system.
Appreciate 1
stlcdr1020.50
      10-10-2022, 12:50 PM   #10
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

I have used Wurth Rubber Care Gel Stick, from time to time, on my 20 year old Z3 M Roadster's rubber seals and it doesn't have any roof creaks or squeaks. Have not yet tried it on my Z4, but it doesn't have any creaks or squeaks (yet?).

Update: Just found this in the Owner's Manual.
Treat especially worn rubber parts with rubber
care products at regular intervals. When cleaning
rubber seals, do not use any silicon-containing
vehicle care products in order to avoid damage
or noises.
The product mentioned above is silicon free.

Last edited by COKen; 10-10-2022 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
Mastakko181.00
      10-10-2022, 04:55 PM   #11
Mastakko
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW Z4 30i

Garage List
I do know that my seals are mighty hard at this point. The window seals for the top. Car is a 19 and I'm sure was left outside before I owned it
Appreciate 0