F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Gauging Interest: Vargas GC DBB, Shuenk / FrankenTurbo F55, Pure 800
GetBMWParts

03-02-2021, 11:07 PM   #1
S6K
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Gauging Interest: Vargas GC DBB, Shuenk / FrankenTurbo F55, Pure 800

I have created this thread in hopes of gauging interest and discussing the soon to be released EWG stage 3 drop in turbo options.

Some information that I have collected that might be helpful to people, please feel free to add additional info and I can update the original post-

Vargas GC
Expected Price: ~$3K
Expected Output w/ Proper Fueling: "600 WHP"
Size and Design: Sample versions included a GTX3076R and GTX3582 (both twin scroll), dual ball bearing, same turbine wheels as Garrett GT line but made in reverse rotation
Expected Release / Additional Info: I believe they are planning on either shipping out or producing the first batch of units on 5/1, but you really never know with Vargas...

Shuenk / FrankenTurbo F55
Expected Price: ~$2K
Expected Output w/ Proper Fueling: "650 WHP"
Size and Design: 64/55mm single scroll housing, dimensionally same as Garrett G30 series
Expected Release / Additional Info: Several months away from testing EWG F55 variants in their development facebook group, so it might be a much longer wait for this option. They are currently wrapping up testing and first round of production on their "500 WHP" SuperCore variant and will being focusing on the F55 next. They are also working on a $600 secondary injection system capable of running high ethanol mixes.

Pure 800
Expected Price: ~$4k
Expected Output w/ Proper Fueling: "up to 800 WHP",
Size and Design: 67mm sample version (PWG though), 0.70 A/R Compressor housing, 0.80 A/R Turbine housing
Expected Release / Additional Information: Targeting a 1-2 month release date I believe? I do not know that much about the Pure 800 if someone else would like to provide some more info.

I am interested to hear what everyone has to say about these soon to be released options, I am personally waiting to order a PS2 to see what they have to offer, as I don't really like the idea of maxing out a PS2 to achieve my power goals.

In terms of myself, I am most interested in the Vargas GC turbo as it really looks the best on paper offering quick spool up times with the twin scroll design and offers a slightly higher output than the PS2. I however know that people in the n54 community have had some bad experiences with Vargas as a company and their turbos.

For the people interested in the Pure800- I am interested to hear what your HP goal / set-up will be with this option? From my research above around 650-700+whp our cars will need a bunch of major work including a built engine, built trans, and keyed crankhub. Would your intention be to run this turbo around the 550-650 whp range?

Last edited by S6K; 03-04-2021 at 07:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 10:05 PM   #2
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

Cross post this in the m2 n55 sub as well, they have some turbo threads, may get more action there

I'm in the same boat currently and have similar goals in mind.
Appreciate 1
S6K166.00
      03-04-2021, 11:40 AM   #3
435gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xdrive

I'll give my 2cents.

The Vargas gc has been in a state of "to be released in 3 months " since like 2017. Personally I wouldn't put this in serious consideration if I were shopping for an upgrade as intriguing as the product sounds. I also have gotten a bad taste in my mouth for the company based on a number of posts I have seen them make in various forums. I feel like I would rather patronize another business. This may be unfair, they may have turned things around since my own research.

Frankenturbo I have read positive reviews for in Audi forums and I follow them on FB. They seem decent and they seem take their product development methodically. I think its gonna be a while before they have a 600hp product to release to the public. I believe they are close to having their competitor for ps2 out soonest. I think they are trying to give a less expensive option to ps2.

For Pure we know they make a number of quality products for BMW so I am inclined to trust their product perhaps a bit more. Especially since they have spent years making products for the N55 that have faired well. They know the N55. I think the pure800 is probably the closest to reaching market of each of these options.

Still with any of these options I feel a bit wary since they will be 1st generation releases. The PS2 had a couple of hiccups in their first release. They have made upgrades and now have a quite stable product. Personally, with my car, and with the money involved, I prefer to invest in a platform that has been out for a while and has gotten the kinks worked out. If I were looking for a stage 3 option I would lean towards Speedtech. Its been out for a while, we have seen successful builds, we know what is needed to make it work, and I have seen nothing but positive reports of their customer service. Plus their kit spools faster than a PS2.

Once the pure800 has been demonstrated out a bit I might change my tune. I personally don't want to be a guinea pig for a brand new product. If I did go with them I would limit power to not have to build the engine and tranny. If you want to go much beyond 600-630hp I think a different car would be a better route to take unless you have money to burn.

Last edited by 435gc; 03-04-2021 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 3
S6K166.00