BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > AA EL midpipe vs AA Single midpipe (both non-resonated)

02-28-2021, 06:30 AM   #1
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

AA EL midpipe vs AA Single midpipe (both non-resonated)

Does anybody know the sound difference between AA EL vs Single midpipe?

Planning to pair AA midpipe non-resonated version with the stock muffler (or maybe I add Remus Sport later on if I need more sound). And I am not sure if I am prepared to wait for the EL midpipe as it is not available now and there is no guarantee they will deliver it exactly end of March. So maybe AA Single midpipe is the way to go

Last edited by kart driver; 02-28-2021 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 08:31 AM   #2
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

Subscribed
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 11:13 AM   #3
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Aa single mid sounds amazing.

From what I understand EL sounds like a different car.

So..

Single:best S55 sounds
EL: Makes a whole new noise and isn't that s55 sound anymore
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 11:58 AM   #4
AM///X3M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS 2023 X3M Comp

Here you go!
Listen to it with headphones. It sounds way better in person.

02-28-2021, 12:24 PM   #5
kart driver
Captain
Rep

I’ve done quite a research and here is what I found:

What is good with this video, you can here both midpipes in different modes: burbles on and burbles deactivated.

When I listed to the video many times I originally thought that I the EL sounds a bit less attractive to my ears than Single, but later I found this post and now it looks like I know what the differences are and why Single might not be the best fit:

———————————

Yea, I went from Single AA w/ Dinan to EL w/ Dinan

Differences below:

Cold Start Single vs EL: the Single is less raspy / tinny during cold starts but mostly the same, both are loud as hell on cold start (I am valve open 100% time)

Warmed up after cold start / long drives: Both eliminated most of the rasp , the AA single sounding lower / deeper up until 3k rpms, and then AA single gets really quiet inside the car and sound kinda dissipates. Quite the opposite for the AA EL; the EL gets louder as rpms get higher and starts singing as rpms go higher. You can actually hear the exhaust vs sounding like it being muffled. EL sings great straight six notes after warmed up.

Cold pipes, warm engine: After pipes are warm, and if car is stopped for whatever amount of time allowing exhaust to cool but engine to still be warm (groceries, getting gas), the AA single and the EL both sound raspy for a few minutes until the pipes get warm again. I'd say the rasp is similar but the AA single is DEEPER sounding. The EL is definitely not as loud, smooth, or deep and bassy down on the lower RPMS as the AA single when pipes are COLD.

If you try to rev an EL exhaust when the car is cold or pipes are cold, the tinny / raspy sound is definitely there and more pronounced than AA single. Warmed up, all is well again. I'd say slightly more tinny / rasp sound when cold for the EL, but when warm, the EL sings great turbo straight six melodies.

Both setups are good. I can see why people would like one or the other. After owning AA single for 3+ years, the EL is what I prefer. The car just starts screaming (relative to other S55s) from 3.5-4k rpms. Not screaming like a GT3 or a straight piped e92 m3..

One thing to note is, the main issue before was if you wanted more sound without the EL, the car got raspier, nastier, and honestly quiet atriocious sounding as the exhaust setups got louder (with deletion of more cats, downpipes, resonators). Not the case anymore, EL really smoothed out the sounds up top.

taken from here:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=1696

———————-

So for me the summary is as follows:

AA SINGLE midpipe:

pros: deeper sound than EL
cons: but the deeper sound dissipates at high revs

AA EL midpipe:

pros: the volume of the sound increases progressively when you add revs
cons: might produce less attractive sound when cold

Last edited by kart driver; 02-28-2021 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 3
FTP2034.00
Kankles1484.50
      02-28-2021, 01:05 PM   #6
Iamlemon
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Now: Aston DBX, BMW M2C

Hello, I had the chance to hear both and buy either one. There are advantages and disadvantages for both of them. Here is a list:

AA Single:
- Removes a decent portion of the rasp from the exhaust note.
- Is cheaper by $400-$500
- Much easier to find and get (as the EL is back-ordered from most sources, if not all)
- Lighter than the EL system.
- Pairs with aftermarket downpipes extremely well.
- Easy install

AA EL:
- Removes ALL rasp and makes the engine sound incredible.
- More expensive
- Hard to find
- Heavier than the Single
- Does not pair well with aftermarket downpipes and makes the engine sound worse if used in tandom with some DP pairings.
- Decently easy to install, but still more difficult than the single (two pipes duh)

There are a few videos going around where the EL paired with VRSF downpipes sounds like a tin can and you can only hear rasp. I assume this is due to the EL system being specifically designed for the stock DPs, and any alteration in DP length will result in many different and probably unexpected results.

Last edited by Iamlemon; 03-01-2021 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: Accuracy
Appreciate 2
StephGOD218.50
Zentan132.00
      02-28-2021, 02:39 PM   #7
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamlemon View Post
Hello, I had the chance to hear both and buy either one. There are advantages and disadvantages for both of them. Here is a list:

AA Single:
- Removes a decent portion of the rasp from the exhaust note.
- Is cheaper by $400-$500
- Much easier to find and get (as the EL is back-ordered from most sources, if not all)
- Lighter than the EL system.
- Pairs with aftermarket downpipes extremely well.
- Easy install

AA EL:
- Removes ALL rasp and makes the engine sound incredible.
- More expensive
- Hard to find
- Does not pair well with aftermarket downpipes and makes the engine sound worse if used in tandom with some DP pairings.
- Decently easy to install, but still more difficult than the single (two pipes duh)

There are a few videos going around where the EL paired with VRSF downpipes sounds like a tin can and you can only hear rasp. I assume this is due to the EL system being specifically designed for the stock DPs, and any alteration in DP length will result in many different and probably unexpected results.

I am keeping the downpipes stock without any doubt. And most likely the stock muffler as well.
The price difference of mid-pipes is irrelevant in my case.

What worried me was if with AA Single midpipe the sound volume dissipates with higher revs. But I just found the following video and I am absolutely fine with it at high revs.

I will most likely disable the burbles and will consider the sound to be perfect.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 04:20 PM   #8
Iamlemon
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Now: Aston DBX, BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post

I am keeping the downpipes stock without any doubt. And most likely the stock muffler as well.
The price difference of mid-pipes is irrelevant in my case.

What worried me was if with AA Single midpipe the sound volume dissipates with higher revs. But I just found the following video and I am absolutely fine with it at high revs.

I will most likely disable the burbles and will consider the sound to be perfect.
If you live in the Bay, you can come and check out my set up. I've got the single and Akra exhaust. I feel like videos are not great and exhausts sound different in person. My experience with the single has been overall positive, but it does let some rasp through when you push it a bit harder in the high RPMs. But much MUCH less than a resonator delete on the stock midpipe. PS The weight saving is awesome on the single! (12 pounds) But if you are going for weight saving, you need to get a different rear exhuast. My Akra saved me 30 lbs and deleted the ugly rear udder!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 04:40 PM   #9
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamlemon View Post
If you live in the Bay, you can come and check out my set up. I've got the single and Akra exhaust. I feel like videos are not great and exhausts sound different in person. My experience with the single has been overall positive, but it does let some rasp through when you push it a bit harder in the high RPMs. But much MUCH less than a resonator delete on the stock midpipe. PS The weight saving is awesome on the single! (12 pounds) But if you are going for weight saving, you need to get a different rear exhuast. My Akra saved me 30 lbs and deleted the ugly rear udder!

Thanks for the invitation, but I am based in a different part of the globe ))

Weight saving or power increase is of no importance to me. I just want to improve sound a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 09:46 AM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

AA single gives it a rasp-free tone, with a deeper sound.

The Equal length midpipe makes the car sound almost non-turbo. With a much deeper mid-range tone

Both are quality options, if you are getting catless downpipes in the future the single is the better option for you.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
Rumbloki176.00
      03-01-2021, 01:34 PM   #11
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
AA single gives it a rasp-free tone, with a deeper sound.

The Equal length midpipe makes the car sound almost non-turbo. With a much deeper mid-range tone

Both are quality options, if you are getting catless downpipes in the future the single is the better option for you.

Thanks for the feedback. Going with Single version.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 08:11 PM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Going with Single version.
My pleasure, you won't regret it

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 07:05 PM   #13
zjolsen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C

Ok, I searched and didnt see what I was looking for. Anyone done a EL or Single Mid Pipe Resonated? I just want a tad louder, but also less rasp. The EL an Single still have a pretty decent amount of rasp IMO. The resonator would deepen it, but will it to be too close to stock to be worth it?

I only want to do midpipe and keep stock DP/Suitcase
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 04:51 PM   #14
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjolsen View Post
Ok, I searched and didnt see what I was looking for. Anyone done a EL or Single Mid Pipe Resonated? I just want a tad louder, but also less rasp. The EL an Single still have a pretty decent amount of rasp IMO. The resonator would deepen it, but will it to be too close to stock to be worth it?

I have ordered Single Midpipe non-resonated and plan to pair it with OEM muffler.
My idea is to turn off the burbles and I hope this will give exactly the same result as you are looking for.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 10:56 PM   #15
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjolsen View Post

AA recommend non-res for stock downpipes so it might be hard to find someone with that combo.

I got non-res and am happy with the sound. It's not obnoxious while just driving around town but it really comes alive as you get into the higher rev range.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 11:46 AM   #16
Zentan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C / 6MT / SO

Anyone have a clip of EL mids with Remus race? I currently have single mids + remux race and I love it, just curious on the other setup
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 07:29 PM   #17
CPT Smuggs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87

Anyone in Utah with an M2/3/4 with either of these on their car willing to let me come listen?
      03-16-2021, 08:34 AM   #18
Andrew30azs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zentan View Post
Anyone have a clip of EL mids with Remus race? I currently have single mids + remux race and I love it, just curious on the other setup
Do you have any video clips ? I want to do same setup but some people recommend sport instead race
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 11:27 AM   #19
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew30azs View Post
Do you have any video clips ? I want to do same setup but some people recommend sport instead race

Remus Sport is recommended if you go non-resonated midpipe.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 12:07 PM   #20
Andrew30azs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Remus Sport is recommended if you go non-resonated midpipe.
Why is recommended? Sport instead of race ?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 04:49 PM   #21
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew30azs View Post
Why is recommended? Sport instead of race ?

If you go non-resonated midpipe then it is advised to pair it with Remus Sport

If you do resinated midpipe then Remus Race is fine.

It has been discussed on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 08:13 PM   #22
Andrew30azs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If you go non-resonated midpipe then it is advised to pair it with Remus Sport

If you do resinated midpipe then Remus Race is fine.

It has been discussed on this forum.
I have single midpipe
Appreciate 0