BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2C Cold Start Delete Info

02-17-2021, 01:47 PM   #1
Iamlemon
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Now: Aston DBX, BMW M2C

M2C Cold Start Delete Info

Hey guys and gals, I'm getting my AA mid-pipe installed to pair with my Akra slip-on for my M2C on Friday. However, I'm a bit scared about how loud the cold start will be since I have to wake up at 4 AM to get to work somedays. I wanted to know how deleting the cold start will affect my engine and warranty. Could you please run me through the basic ins and outs of a cold start delete? I have the tools necessary to do so, just need to know what the side effects are.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 05:21 PM   #2
railking
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, M2C

I’m running a similar exhaust set up and have done the cold start removal as I found it obnoxious.

As far as I know, the cold start sequence is there for emissions to quickly get the material in the catalytic converters up to operating temperature. I don’t think its removal has much of an effect on engine. I can’t really speak to what BMW would say about warranty.

I’ve removed it with the option in Bootmod3 and if you also disable the start up roar, the start up sequence is very quiet and basically indistinguishable from normal idle.
      02-17-2021, 05:23 PM   #3
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Cold start is mostly additional noise generation by fully opening wastegate flaps and adding additional idle speed. It supposedly does this to heat up the cats, but it's effect on this is negligible.
Removing it will not cause any bad side affects.

The tuning tool used to delete it can be detected and could have warranty implications.
Appreciate 0