BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)    Clay Bar Marks on Rear Lower Spoiler

02-07-2021, 08:05 PM   #1
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Clay Bar Marks on Rear Lower Spoiler

I was removing some water spots from the rear windows and also did some of the lower section of the rear spoiler. This is the shadowline black plastic part that runs along the bottom of the liftgate spoiler and down the both sides of the rear liftgate window. The clay bar removed the water spots but it left behind some marks from the clay bar. No scratches. I tried some detail spray, but it didn't help.

Since its gloss black painted plastic, what can I use that will remove the clay bar marks without harming the gloss black plastic? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 10:01 PM   #2
Mo2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I don't know what the best product is but you can call Sky's the Limit car care and talk to one of their representatives. They've always been super helpful to me and provide great service.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 08:30 PM   #3
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo2002 View Post
I don't know what the best product is but you can call Sky's the Limit car care and talk to one of their representatives. They've always been super helpful to me and provide great service.
Thank you.
I'll give them a call.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 12:42 PM   #4
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
I was removing some water spots from the rear windows and also did some of the lower section of the rear spoiler. This is the shadowline black plastic part that runs along the bottom of the liftgate spoiler and down the both sides of the rear liftgate window. The clay bar removed the water spots but it left behind some marks from the clay bar. No scratches. I tried some detail spray, but it didn't help.

Since its gloss black painted plastic, what can I use that will remove the clay bar marks without harming the gloss black plastic? Thanks

This is a trade off of using clay. It will remove contaminants if used correctly, but almost always will leave marring. Needs to be polished out. All that piano black will get swirl marks no matter how careful you wash. PPF the piano black trim and you won't get swirls.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 07:06 PM   #5
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
This is a trade off of using clay. It will remove contaminants if used correctly, but almost always will leave marring. Needs to be polished out. All that piano black will get swirl marks no matter how careful you wash. PPF the piano black trim and you won't get swirls.
I have a PC polisher. But I'm kind of afraid to use it to polish out that plastic area of the spoiler. Maybe when I go in for the 1,200 mile service, their detail guy might know what to do? Though that also scares me.
I imagine a good detail shop would be able to handle it? Though I don't know of any around here.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 12:20 PM   #6
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
I have a PC polisher. But I'm kind of afraid to use it to polish out that plastic area of the spoiler. Maybe when I go in for the 1,200 mile service, their detail guy might know what to do? Though that also scares me.
I imagine a good detail shop would be able to handle it? Though I don't know of any around here.

Use your PC with the less aggressive polish first, something like a "jewelling" or final finish polish (carpro reflect for example). Start with a black finishing pad ( blue won't provide any cutting at all). Let the PC do the work, don't press too hard just enough to work the polish. Also, a smaller polisher such 3"random orbital would work much better for those tight areas. You could also try to polish by hand as well with a hand polishing pad(Chemical guys hex-logic for example). Use a polish with no silicone or waxes added.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 08:05 PM   #7
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
Use your PC with the less aggressive polish first, something like a "jewelling" or final finish polish (carpro reflect for example). Start with a black finishing pad ( blue won't provide any cutting at all). Let the PC do the work, don't press too hard just enough to work the polish. Also, a smaller polisher such 3"random orbital would work much better for those tight areas. You could also try to polish by hand as well with a hand polishing pad(Chemical guys hex-logic for example). Use a polish with no silicone or waxes added.
Thank you. Sounds like you are knowledgeable on the products. I have to do some research on these products.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 12:28 PM   #8
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

denaliman- you have a pm.
Appreciate 0