F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 2016 F33 (convertible) — ID4 to ID6 Retrofit Issues
proTUNING Freaks

01-06-2021, 07:25 PM   #1
luccio
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 435i xDrive

2016 F33 (convertible) — ID4 to ID6 Retrofit Issues

Hey guys, just signed up due to me hitting a brick wall with this retrofit install

I recently purchased an NBT EVO ID6 from bimmer-tech for my 2016 435i convertible (f33). I'm 95% done with the install and happy that the components are all OEM and, for the most part, working effectively.
- head unit coded ✅
- ApplePlay working ✅
- Audio playing ✅
- iDrive controller (w/ gesture interface) functioning ✅
- Sirius radio ✅ (however, I think I simply need to send a refresh; I get the ads channel (ch 002) coming in however, so I know it's receiving a signal...just not attached to my account yet)
- Heads Up Display ✅. Originally had the 6.5" screen and updated this to the 8.8". Interface is gorgeous! coming from iD4 to iD6 is really a beautiful upgrade. No stretching/ skewing/ etc.
- Console USB port ❌. I'm THOROUGHLY stumped here. I've shaved the connector, rotated it 180 to fit in the head unit port...nothing. Any help here would be AWESOME
- GPS ❌. This, by far, is COMPLETELY beyond my know-how. Basically, I've ran their supplied extension cable from the head unit, fished it to the passenger side, tucked it under carpet, removed the backseats, removed the liner between the cabin & trunk, & fished it to the TCB module located in the trunk . Based on some interwebs research, it appears a Fakra splitter is needed to maintain the car's connection to ConnectedDrive as well as enable the GPS (???) I've also ordered a GPS antenna with the magnetic base, in the event the splitter doesn't work. Both additional components cost $8-9/ea, so...

My car originally didn't have GPS, so I'm wading in unknown waters here. I've ordered the Fakra splitter & magnetic GPS antenna (hopefully one of these will work) but any insight on a fellow-bimmer owner successfully doing this would be great...

Any insights, info, walkthroughs would be GREATLY appreciated for a guy who is not mechanically inclined....especially on the USB port.

Cheers!

Last edited by luccio; 01-06-2021 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: make/model in the title
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 02:16 PM   #2
BMW_340
(formerly sp330i)
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Did you find a solution to your issues?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 02:41 PM   #3
luccio
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 435i xDrive

I did for some parts.

GPS wasn't working due to F33 convertibles having the TCB module in the trunk, not behind the head unit. Ended up getting a Fakra splitter and doing A LOT of fishing/tucking to run the wire from the head unit to the module in the trunk. Really feel like BimmerTech should call that out as a difference within F-class models.

USB console still isn't working, so I've been using the cigarette lighter plugin. Not perfect, but at least I can charge the phone while driving. As a result, I can't use the steering wheel to toggle between tracks/songs.

Overall, not 100%, but it's closer than it was during the initial post.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 05:14 AM   #4
Finn2k1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116d

If your ID6 unit came with blue fakra on the back, then in order to get GPS signal you need to run a cable from the HU to the shark fin antenna or just use a 3rd party gps antenna fitted under/over the head unit. Additionally since ID6 Evo units are supposed to work with ATM and not TCB telematics, coding may be needed in order to "route" GPS to the blue fakra instead of using the ATM for getting GPS coordinates that are being sent to the HU via the OABR port (under the main quadlock).

Regarding USB, are you sure you plugged the fakra connector on USB1 (beige connector not the yellowish one) ?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 03:03 AM   #5
SD Convert
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by luccio View Post
I recently purchased an NBT EVO ID6 from bimmer-tech for my 2016 435i convertible (f33). I'm 95% done with the install and happy that the components are all OEM and, for the most part, working effectively.
- Console USB port ❌. I'm THOROUGHLY stumped here. I've shaved the connector, rotated it 180 to fit in the head unit port...nothing. Any help here would be AWESOME
Interesting. I just put one of these into my 2017 430i and this is one of the few pieces that worked properly out of the box. They provided an 8" extension cable so that the connector didn't need to be modified. I just wish their "documentation" had actually contained information on what it was for.

Quote:
- GPS ❌. This, by far, is COMPLETELY beyond my know-how. Basically, I've ran their supplied extension cable from the head unit, fished it to the passenger side, tucked it under carpet, removed the backseats, removed the liner between the cabin & trunk, & fished it to the TCB module located in the trunk . Based on some interwebs research, it appears a Fakra splitter is needed to maintain the car's connection to ConnectedDrive as well as enable the GPS (???) I've also ordered a GPS antenna with the magnetic base, in the event the splitter doesn't work. Both additional components cost $8-9/ea, so...
When I did my retrofit, I unplugged the cable from the TCB module and plugged it into the extension cable. The GPS tracks properly. The SOS doesn't work yet, but I haven't had my coding session yet.

From their F33 directions:
Quote:
The GPS extension cable will have to be connected between the Blue GPS port on the bottom right corner of the head unit and the cable that feeds into port A231*4B on the TCB module in the back of the car. (Please note that the extension cable will connect to the cable not the port).
If I had known before I bought the conversion that there was an extension cable that needed to be run from the front to the back, I wouldn't have bought this. IMHO, this sort of penny-pinching is foolish. To save ~$5, they added 1-2 hours of work.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 02:51 PM   #6
SayedNaimi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series 430i

Any help would be appreciated

I’ve recently purchased a 430i from auction and most interior parts have been stolen with wires cut. I have bought a nbt media kit with the wiring that is arriving tomorrow and I am thinking to solder the wires together however from the photos it looks like some of the wires are different colour to my one. The part was taken off a 420d. The diagram shows the same head unit for both vehicles however 1-2 hsd wires are also different. I have just realised my car has a reversing camera so I may have more wires than the one I bought.

The big plug behind the head unit cannot be purchased from bmw as I’ve asked and no parts representative can find it on the system.

I would appreciate all the help I can get on this.
Appreciate 0