E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > banjo fittings for VTT catch can¿

12-26-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 440

banjo fittings for VTT catch can¿

i'm finally going to purchase a much needed external pcv VTT catch can kit.
curious if the banjo fittings are necessary for the installation on an N54 or just a nice to have? The price seems to jump up pretty quick if you add these as an option, but also didn't want to have my shop stop halfway through the install cuz they needed em or something. thank you all and Merry Christmas!
      12-26-2020, 05:48 PM   #2
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_sojah View Post
i'm finally going to purchase a much needed external pcv VTT catch can kit.
curious if the banjo fittings are necessary for the installation on an N54 or just a nice to have? The price seems to jump up pretty quick if you add these as an option, but also didn't want to have my shop stop halfway through the install cuz they needed em or something. thank you all and Merry Christmas!
I personally would go with burger motorsports over vtt. They have a poor reputation on this forum.
Also if you are getting catch can go with one on the vacuum side. The boost side catch can will catch next to nothing. Waste of money in my opinion. Ideally boost and vacuum set ups would be best, but if you are choosing one id go with the vacuum side. Most of the oil being sucked through is during vacuum not boost. A well working pcv like the rbturbo one will stop
Most on the boost side.
      12-27-2020, 12:19 AM   #3
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
I personally would go with burger motorsports over vtt. They have a poor reputation on this forum.
Also if you are getting catch can go with one on the vacuum side. The boost side catch can will catch next to nothing. Waste of money in my opinion. Ideally boost and vacuum set ups would be best, but if you are choosing one id go with the vacuum side. Most of the oil being sucked through is during vacuum not boost. A well working pcv like the rbturbo one will stop
Most on the boost side.
Thanks for the recommendation, i already have an ecs OCC on the vacuum side and it looks really pretty but has caught exactly zero in a whole year. I still have blow by and occasionally smoking and a local n54 homie showed me his VTT pcv side setup and said he had same thing as me before getting that kit and that it fixed all his problems. That was the info i was basing my purchase off of.

So you vote the rbturbo one?

This is the one i presently have installed that catches zero on my car.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...dk/?pdk=AAAGAQ

Last edited by rusty_sojah; 12-27-2020 at 12:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 10:52 AM   #4
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Most on the boost side.
Thanks for the recommendation, i already have an ecs OCC on the vacuum side and it looks really pretty but has caught exactly zero in a whole year. I still have blow by and occasionally smoking and a local n54 homie showed me his VTT pcv side setup and said he had same thing as me before getting that kit and that it fixed all his problems. That was the info i was basing my purchase off of.

So you vote the rbturbo one?

This is the one i presently have installed that catches zero on my car.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...dk/?pdk=AAAGAQ
If that's the one you have, that is for boost side not vacuum. That's why you are catching so little.
Here is the burger motorsports one.
You can also buy both together but this just just the vacuum one.

https://burgertuning.com/collections...m-side-occ-kit
      12-27-2020, 11:47 AM   #5
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
If that's the one you have, that is for boost side not vacuum. That's why you are catching so little.

Ok, thank you sir!

That makes a lot more sense to me now. Wow i can't explain how confused i was by all that previously. So glad i i asked the pro's/bro's on here first.

So here is another question for ya. Does that occasional blow by and burning off of the oil cause carbon build up, or is that caused by something else entirely? Reason i ask is that a buddy stuck a camera inside my shit and it was super clean and hardly any carbon buildup but that was just days before the blow by mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 01:38 PM   #6
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ok, thank you sir!

That makes a lot more sense to me now. Wow i can't explain how confused i was by all that previously. So glad i i asked the pro's/bro's on here first.

So here is another question for ya. Does that occasional blow by and burning off of the oil cause carbon build up, or is that caused by something else entirely? Reason i ask is that a buddy stuck a camera inside my shit and it was super clean and hardly any carbon buildup but that was just days before the blow by mod.
Yup this is where the carbon build up comes from. The "boost" side vents into the rear turbo which is one way it gets into the intake track.
Majority comes when the car is under vacuum, that's what this kit would help with.
If you want to stop the problem completely, you can take off your valve cover and there is a kit to block all the holes in the intake port.
I would Google it but there is little holes in each intake port that vent the valve case and a lot of the oil comes from there. The kit includes little screw plugs to block all of those. However this is a lot more labour than just adding catch cans.