BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)    Ceramic Coating for Non-Garage Kept Car?

12-12-2020, 08:40 AM   #1
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Garage List
Hey all, looking for some clarity on the subject per the title. I was originally expecting to be in a new house with garage before the end of this year. Unfortunately 2020 happened and it's delaying this process by a year.

With that said, my new vehicle will be kept outdoors without any natural shade or covering for at least a year. I do not have any options to change this (ie - car port etc.).

I found some videos about leaving water beading on the car etc after a rainstorm and or letting it dry on the coating can cause imperfections in the coating. There are periods of time where the car may sit outside for a day or two after some rain and will be in direct sunlight.

Is any of this really a concern? More so than carnauba wax? Previous car has been in this condition for 3 years and I mainly hand wash using optimum no-rinse or similar sealant products from chemical guys, have never had issues with those products.

Thanks in advance.

Edit - I did try searching multiple posts, but most of them seem to be asking about value and general concerns. Nothing that I saw specifically about an outdoor kept car. I apologize if this has been asked before.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 10:32 AM   #2
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

A good ceramic coating will help to protect from waterspots etching into the clearcoat, bird droppings, and the general elements of living outside. Most coatings on the market will bead water instead of sheet water off. Sheeting would be more preferred for an outside vehicle because of less waterspots to deal with after drying. My advice would be to find a coating, follow all the necessary steps before applying or have it done professionally. Now unless you find a coating that is better at sheeting water, you can apply additional products over a coating to add a sacrificial layer or change the hydrophobic properties. Something like Artdeshine Nano Gloss paint sealant would be a good option for a topper to help sheet water off the car instead of having thousands of tight little beads just sitting there. You will need to refresh your topper every few months though.

Our F32 has a ceramic coating topped with a polymer sealant. It lives outside and I've never had a problem removing waterspots from rain.

If you don't feel comfortable performing the recommended necessary steps before applying a coating (full wash, decontamination, clay or autoscrub, some form of polishing whether that be a full blown paint correction or just a quick trip around the car with a cleaner wax/polish) please get it professionally done so you're not wasting your time and money. Your coatings visual results, performance and durability are heavily dependent on proper surface prep.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2020, 01:34 PM   #3
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM11285 View Post
A good ceramic coating will help to protect from waterspots etching into the clearcoat, bird droppings, and the general elements of living outside. Most coatings on the market will bead water instead of sheet water off. Sheeting would be more preferred for an outside vehicle because of less waterspots to deal with after drying. My advice would be to find a coating, follow all the necessary steps before applying or have it done professionally. Now unless you find a coating that is better at sheeting water, you can apply additional products over a coating to add a sacrificial layer or change the hydrophobic properties. Something like Artdeshine Nano Gloss paint sealant would be a good option for a topper to help sheet water off the car instead of having thousands of tight little beads just sitting there. You will need to refresh your topper every few months though.

Our F32 has a ceramic coating topped with a polymer sealant. It lives outside and I've never had a problem removing waterspots from rain.

If you don't feel comfortable performing the recommended necessary steps before applying a coating (full wash, decontamination, clay or autoscrub, some form of polishing whether that be a full blown paint correction or just a quick trip around the car with a cleaner wax/polish) please get it professionally done so you're not wasting your time and money. Your coatings visual results, performance and durability are heavily dependent on proper surface prep.
Thanks for this detailed response. I would be getting the coating done professionally along with paint correction and proper curing time as they hold the car for an additional day.

I don't mind applying additional toppers as you mentioned, but does that essentially ignore the benefits of ceramic coating it in the first place or will it still visually benefit from the deeper gloss look?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 05:59 PM   #4
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graaf_Autowerks View Post
Quote:

Thanks for this detailed response. I would be getting the coating done professionally along with paint correction and proper curing time as they hold the car for an additional day.

I don't mind applying additional toppers as you mentioned, but does that essentially ignore the benefits of ceramic coating it in the first place or will it still visually benefit from the deeper gloss look?
It won't adversely affect the added gloss from the coating or the level of protection, only adding to it. There are some products that can enhance the gloss or slickness even further. A few products to check out would be: Artdeshine nano gloss, Xtreme Solutions Topper, Sonax Polymer Net Shield just to name a few.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2020, 08:16 PM   #5
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graaf_Autowerks View Post
Quote:

It won't adversely affect the added gloss from the coating or the level of protection, only adding to it. There are some products that can enhance the gloss or slickness even further. A few products to check out would be: Artdeshine nano gloss, Xtreme Solutions Topper, Sonax Polymer Net Shield just to name a few.
Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 06:28 PM   #6
nealjay
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m440

ceramic coating. before I did I had stains free tree sap and thats super hard to get offend annoying. rain is horrible I have a drive way but not garaged
Appreciate 0