THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2020 230i xdrive - purchasing advice

12-11-2020, 11:35 PM   #1
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

2020 230i xdrive - purchasing advice

Hi everyone,

My wife has a 2012 128i with 50k KM. She is looking to buy an all wheel drive car, and obviously 230i xdrive is the closest to what she has now, but with all wheel drive. We found a demo with 1000km, and the dealer is discounting it well, so we might try to either finance or lease it. Any recommendations or things we need to consider before buying the car? Any issue with buying a demo? How is the reliability of this car? I appreciate any guidance.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 06:35 AM   #2
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
The car has only 1K km on it, 600 m. It is hard to do much damage in such a short interval. Will it come with a full warranty? Then I would not worry about the demo status. As for reliability, the 2-series has consistently rated as one of the most reliable vehicles around, according to Consumer Reports.
The major factor is price. The car is last year's model, so should have lost 25% of its value. Is the dealer offering that much discount or close to it? Then buy it! It should last as long as the 128.
Appreciate 1
m240nj104.00
      12-12-2020, 09:46 AM   #3
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
The car has only 1K km on it, 600 m. It is hard to do much damage in such a short interval. Will it come with a full warranty? Then I would not worry about the demo status. As for reliability, the 2-series has consistently rated as one of the most reliable vehicles around, according to Consumer Reports.
The major factor is price. The car is last year's model, so should have lost 25% of its value. Is the dealer offering that much discount or close to it? Then buy it! It should last as long as the 128.
Thanks for the reply. The car in-service date is Sep 30th. So it has 3 years and 10 months left from warranty. For some reason, when i test drove the car, it had an error about changing battery. They promised to change the battery before delivering the car. Otherwise the drive was pretty smooth. They are currently offering 16.5% off from MSRP. How much more discount do you think I can get? Is the battery error concerning?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 10:43 AM   #4
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
Thanks for the reply. The car in-service date is Sep 30th. So it has 3 years and 10 months left from warranty. For some reason, when i test drove the car, it had an error about changing battery. They promised to change the battery before delivering the car. Otherwise the drive was pretty smooth. They are currently offering 16.5% off from MSRP. How much more discount do you think I can get? Is the battery error concerning?
You may be able to push them to 20% or so discount if it is a 2020 model year car, especially if it has options that make it less than mainstream. I managed 25% discount on a 2007 Z4M in Feb 2008 that had 700km on it.

The battery issue is normal if the car has not been stored on a battery tender if it has been left parked for a few weeks or more at a time, since it arrived from the factory.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2020, 10:54 AM   #5
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
You may be able to push them to 20% or so discount if it is a 2020 model year car, especially if it has options that make it less than mainstream. I managed 25% discount on a 2007 Z4M in Feb 2008 that had 700km on it.

The battery issue is normal if the car has not been stored on a battery tender if it has been left parked for a few weeks or more at a time, since it arrived from the factory.
Thanks! Any option you guys feel it is a must have? I attached what this car has.
Attached Images

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 11:04 AM   #6
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Choice of optional content is quite personal so cannot say what is a "must" for someone we don't know. Your location prompted me to look up how often it snows in Vancouver and the articles show it is so rare that the city doesn't have an adequate supply of snow clearing equipment found in the rest of Canada. Annual snowfall is less than one centimeter!! Therefore, thinking like a city manager, I wonder why pay for and drag around the weight of all wheel drive all year long for that maybe one or two days? I assume you don't invest in dedicated winter tires in Vancouver, so the XDrive won't help her when she needs to safely stop/turn anyway....just a bit of help getting going, but such a rare benefit for that cost and maintenance!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2020, 11:11 AM   #7
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Choice of optional content is quite personal so cannot say what is a "must" for someone we don't know. Your location prompted me to look up how often it snows in Vancouver and the articles show it is so rare that the city doesn't have an adequate supply of snow clearing equipment found in the rest of Canada. Annual snowfall is less than one centimeter!! Therefore, thinking like a city manager, I wonder why pay for and drag around the weight of all wheel drive all year long for that maybe one or two days? I assume you don't invest in dedicated winter tires in Vancouver, so the XDrive won't help her when she needs to safely stop/turn anyway....just a bit of help getting going, but such a rare benefit for that cost and maintenance!
I have an e92 M3, so not great for snow at all. And we usually go to mountains / skiing pretty often, so that is why we are looking an xdrive for her car. She has winter tires for her 128i, so hopefully the same winter tires can fit the new car as well. So xdrive + winter tires should be good for driving to ski resorts.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 11:16 AM   #8
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I have an e92 M3, so not great for snow at all. And we usually go to mountains / skiing pretty often, so that is why we are looking an xdrive for her car. She has winter tires for her 128i, so hopefully the same winter tires can fit the new car as well. So xdrive + winter tires should be good for driving to ski resorts.
Ah, I get it and that makes good sense. If you are going out of town, luggage, etc, have you also considered XDrive versions of X1, X2, and/or X3 across a range of prices? Some heavy promotions lately on X3.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2020, 11:17 AM   #9
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:
I assume you don't invest in dedicated winter tires in Vancouver, so the XDrive won't help her when she needs to safely stop/turn anyway....just a bit of help getting going, but such a rare benefit for that cost and maintenance!
If you drive outside of Vancouver, you have to have winter tyres to go east or north through the mountains from 1 Oct to 31 Mar (30 Apr on some high snow fall roads). The temperature also hovers in the single centigrade digits for a lot of the winter. Advisable equipment if not staying in the city all winter.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 11:18 AM   #10
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
If you drive outside of Vancouver, you have to have winter tyres to go east or north through the mountains from 1 Oct to 31 Mar (30 Apr on some high snow fall roads). The temperature also hovers in the single centigrade digits for a lot of the winter. Advisable equipment if not staying in the city all winter.
Yes, I see and I mistakenly assumed it was a "city car" purpose and I was corrected. The old addage about "assume" still stands true!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 11:20 AM   #11
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ah, I get it and that makes good sense. If you are going out of town, luggage, etc, have you also considered XDrive versions of X1, X2, and/or X3 across a range of prices? Some heavy promotions lately on X3.
She doesn't like the look of them, and she prefers sportier cars. And to be honest, I feel 2 series is the only good looking car BMW has in its current lineup.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 11:27 AM   #12
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
She doesn't like the look of them, and she prefers sportier cars. And to be honest, I feel 2 series is the only good looking car BMW has in its current lineup.
OK, just considering all possibly useful alternatives. With a new battery, warranty, and good negotiating, it seems you have found the optimal car! Congrats, good luck, and many happy and safe kilometers of driving ahead!
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2020, 11:51 AM   #13
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
OK, just considering all possibly useful alternatives. With a new battery, warranty, and good negotiating, it seems you have found the optimal car! Congrats, good luck, and many happy and safe kilometers of driving ahead!
Thank you! negotiating more today... hoping to get to 20% discount.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 12:51 PM   #14
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
If you drive outside of Vancouver, you have to have winter tyres to go east or north through the mountains from 1 Oct to 31 Mar (30 Apr on some high snow fall roads).
This is a common misunderstanding. All season tires (M + S) are legal on all roads in BC during the winter.
      12-12-2020, 01:38 PM   #15
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertw View Post
This is a common misunderstanding. All season tires (M + S) are legal on all roads in BC during the winter.
Legally, yes, they allow M+S marked tyres but the BC Government recommends tyres marked with the 3-peak mountain snow flake, as Drive BC says "Remember, you are responsible for equipping your vehicle properly for the conditions you are driving in.". There are many mountain passes in BC where winter tyres are needed if you want to have control in icy conditions.

Also from ICBC (https://www.icbc.com/brochures/Pages/winter-tires.aspx) "Winter tires and insurance - Driving without winter tires won’t mean you’re automatically at-fault in a crash. However, if you get in a crash where winter tires could have helped, not having them may affect whether, or how much, you are at-fault.".

Last edited by aerobod; 12-12-2020 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 03:00 PM   #16
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep

what do you guys think about this deal?
Attached Images

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 03:22 PM   #17
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

It's shown differently than I am accustomed, so I don't know what the "finance fee" is that is not part of a lease or financing agreement. The documentation fee is absurd. Half a thousand dollars to push a few papers around? It was $80 on my last BMW. What are the "other dealer options"? If they are nonsense such as sealant or fabric/leather protection, I doubt they were applied to a loaner vehicle. I would reject them outright. I know Canada has noteable taxes compared to the US, but "air tax"?? They tax you for the air the car displaces?
Appreciate 2
      12-12-2020, 03:40 PM   #18
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It's shown differently than I am accustomed, so I don't know what the "finance fee" is that is not part of a lease or financing agreement. The documentation fee is absurd. Half a thousand dollars to push a few papers around? It was $80 on my last BMW. What are the "other dealer options"? If they are nonsense such as sealant or fabric/leather protection, I doubt they were applied to a loaner vehicle. I would reject them outright. I know Canada has noteable taxes compared to the US, but "air tax"?? They tax you for the air the car displaces?
other dealer options is for the freight. No way to take that out unfortunately. I tried several times. And if we were paying cash, we did not have to pay the finance fee. But the rate was very low that we decided to finance it (0.24% for 5 years).

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 03:45 PM   #19
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
other dealer options is for the freight. No way to take that out unfortunately. I tried several times. And if we were paying cash, we did not have to pay the finance fee. But the rate was very low that we decided to finance it (0.24% for 5 years).
They may say it's freight, but I don't believe them. That is a dealer-created form, not from BMW of Canada, so it is highly suspect. The destination charge on my most recent BMW was on the window sticker at $995. This is way beyond currency exchange. Between that and the ridiculous documentation fee, I'd let them chase me as I walk out the door. Before leaving, you should ask to see the invoice to see what BMW of Canada actually charges for freight.
Appreciate 2
      12-12-2020, 03:52 PM   #20
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
They may say it's freight, but I don't believe them. That is a dealer-created form, not from BMW of Canada, so it is highly suspect. The destination charge on my most recent BMW was on the window sticker at $995. This is way beyond currency exchange. Between that and the ridiculous documentation fee, I'd let them chase me as I walk out the door. Before leaving, you should ask to see the invoice to see what BMW of Canada actually charges for freight.
This was the quote I got from them 2 days ago (I have been negotiating on this car from 2 weeks ago). You can see the same $2495 under Freight.
Attached Images

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 04:07 PM   #21
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
This was the quote I got from them 2 days ago (I have been negotiating on this car from 2 weeks ago). You can see the same $2495 under Freight.
I see it. I don't believe it. It's a dealer prepared form, which you can tell as BMW of Canada would not show the discount. They merely are sweetening their own deal to allow for more possible negotiating space, which you have achieved. But the freight is exhorbitant. See an actual BMWNA sticker below for destination in the US for a 2018 vehicl. The differences for 2020 and Canada don't justify that amount. The doc fees remain outrageous.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-12-2020, 04:10 PM   #22
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Although the standard Freight & PDI rate on bmw.ca for British Columbia is $2,145, dealers can set their own rate, so they have padded that by $350. Besides sales tax, I would look at the total out-the-door price and negotiate on that value, ignoring any specific charges they may add. I normally just set a price point I'm willing to pay and have them adjust their discount as they feel fit and however they want to allocate it. You can't get them to ditch the Air Tax (government mandates environmental fee for anything equipped with air conditioning), and the Advance Disposal fee is probably $5 per tyre government recycling fee that won't change, but every other price is dealer controlled to some degree.

Look at it at the moment as a 17.4% discount if you get rid of the nonsense Lender, Finance and Documentation fees and set Freight/PDI to $2,145

Maybe offer $45,000 out-the-door including taxes, then settle for $46,000 everything included. They can then back-calculate any fees or discounts any way they want.

Last edited by aerobod; 12-12-2020 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 1