E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Bosch sparks plugs : ZGR6STE2 vs ZR5TPP33 vs ZR5TPP33S

12-04-2020, 04:51 AM   #1
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: n54

Bosch sparks plugs : ZGR6STE2 vs ZR5TPP33 vs ZR5TPP33S

Hello,

I may change my spark plugs, it has been changed (with coils) 10.000 miles ago, but i ran sometimes for extended periods (like many months) some octane booster bottle in the past and it's known that it can foul plugs and made them orange. I have a small problem at low rpm (made another thread about that), so i want to exclude a spark plug problem by replacing them.

I want to stay Bosch, and on auto parts website i go, for my specific vehicle (N54) (based on plate search) i indicates that for Bosch, i have three choices :

ZGR6STE2 : 9$ cheapest in price, the OEM ones, that i have now in my car (some claims that the OE one from BMW dealer, stamped BMW are better and are a bit different)

ZR5TPP33 : 9.50$ supposed to fit my N54, but originally designed for N55, and 1-step colder than N54 ZGR6STE2.

ZR5TPP33S : 15$ same as above, but better quality/internals ?

Two questions here :

Since my car is FBO : (DP, FMIC, CP, MHD Stage 2+), is it good choice to go the ZR5TPP33/ZR5TPP33S choice that is 1-step colder or should i stick to the first choice ZGR6STE2 ?

If N55 plugs are good/better for N54, does it come already gapped to correct specs ?

I am asking cause i didn't find a lot of people experiencing the n55 plugs on a n54 engine.
      12-04-2020, 10:04 AM   #2
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio54 View Post
Hello,

I may change my spark plugs, it has been changed (with coils) 10.000 miles ago, but i ran sometimes for extended periods (like many months) some octane booster bottle in the past and it's known that it can foul plugs and made them orange. I have a small problem at low rpm (made another thread about that), so i want to exclude a spark plug problem by replacing them.

I want to stay Bosch, and on auto parts website i go, for my specific vehicle (N54) (based on plate search) i indicates that for Bosch, i have three choices :

ZGR6STE2 : 9$ cheapest in price, the OEM ones, that i have now in my car (some claims that the OE one from BMW dealer, stamped BMW are better and are a bit different)

ZR5TPP33 : 9.50$ supposed to fit my N54, but originally designed for N55, and 1-step colder than N54 ZGR6STE2.

ZR5TPP33S : 15$ same as above, but better quality/internals ?

Two questions here :

Since my car is FBO : (DP, FMIC, CP, MHD Stage 2+), is it good choice to go the ZR5TPP33/ZR5TPP33S choice that is 1-step colder or should i stick to the first choice ZGR6STE2 ?

If N55 plugs are good/better for N54, does it come already gapped to correct specs ?

I am asking cause i didn't find a lot of people experiencing the n55 plugs on a n54 engine.
I personally have never found a need to go a step colder and I am fbo mhd 2+. 94 oct.
I think it's a good choice to stay with Bosch plugs, I have never been a fan of NGK.
I have always used these and they have never steered me wrong....They claim the heat range is fine up to 475 hp.

https://burgertuning.com/collections...n54-spark-plug
      12-04-2020, 10:25 AM   #3
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
I personally have never found a need to go a step colder and I am fbo mhd 2+. 94 oct.
I think it's a good choice to stay with Bosch plugs, I have never been a fan of NGK.
I have always used these and they have never steered me wrong....They claim the heat range is fine up to 475 hp.

Hi BM bro !

I only tested the OEM Bosch like you, ZGR6STE2. (But i didn't bought them stamped Bosch-BMW at the BMW dealer (higher price), i got the Bosch online too)

That said, the two other plug i speak about in this post are OEM Bosch too, not NGK.

It's just that it's N55 plugs, and my auto parts website (well known) list them as compatible with N54.

Let's say i am not researching and buy the higher price ones, i would imagine that it's compatible without gapping, i would find weird that the shop won't tell it need gapping or something, but you never know

Since it's approximatively the same price for the second one, i wondered if it's worth the "upgrade" if it's one, or if it's maybe worst...

I am on 91oct stage 2+, and maybe it's safer to stick with the original one anyway.

Just curious to know if one tested thoses N55 plugs on a N54.
      12-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #4
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hi BM bro !

I only tested the OEM Bosch like you, ZGR6STE2. (But i didn't bought them stamped Bosch-BMW at the BMW dealer (higher price), i got the Bosch online too)

That said, the two other plug i speak about in this post are OEM Bosch too, not NGK.

It's just that it's N55 plugs, and my auto parts website (well known) list them as compatible with N54.

Let's say i am not researching and buy the higher price ones, i would imagine that it's compatible without gapping, i would find weird that the shop won't tell it need gapping or something, but you never know

Since it's approximatively the same price for the second one, i wondered if it's worth the "upgrade" if it's one, or if it's maybe worst...

I am on 91oct stage 2+, and maybe it's safer to stick with the original one anyway.

Just curious to know if one tested thoses N55 plugs on a N54.
Your talking a pretty small price difference. I would just go with the ones proven to work for peace of mind. I personally have no clue about the n55 plugs.
The gap on the Bosch 3 prong plug cannot be changed away.
      12-04-2020, 04:08 PM   #5
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Your talking a pretty small price difference. I would just go with the ones proven to work for peace of mind. I personally have no clue about the n55 plugs.
The gap on the Bosch 3 prong plug cannot be changed away.
Yep, i am just asking by curiosity bro.

It seems no one have any clue about the N55 spark plugs... it's maybe good or not, but hard to find out cause nobody have some infos on them.
      12-04-2020, 04:20 PM   #6
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i

I would say any of them are fine as long as you gap correctly, that is if your running more boost.
Appreciate 1
studio54201.00
      12-04-2020, 09:13 PM   #7
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep

yep Tyc0 i am running more boost than stock because stage 2+, but i prefer to run stock spark plugs then, i don't want to have to rule with the gap thing.....
in this thread i just wanted to know if the bosch 1-step colder n55 plugs need gapping or not...
      12-04-2020, 09:22 PM   #8
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
yep Tyc0 i am running more boost than stock because stage 2+, but i prefer to run stock spark plugs then, i don't want to have to rule with the gap thing.....
in this thread i just wanted to know if the bosch 1-step colder n55 plugs need gapping or not...
I believe any spark plug will need gapping at higher boost levels, I believe the gap is 22 thousands. But you could always put them in and see if the boost blows out the spark or not. Worst case you get a misfire and have to gap them, which is extremely easy.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 09:48 PM   #9
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyc0 View Post
I believe any spark plug will need gapping at higher boost levels, I believe the gap is 22 thousands. But you could always put them in and see if the boost blows out the spark or not. Worst case you get a misfire and have to gap them, which is extremely easy.
Yep, you are right, in every thread i read, they speak about 0.022 gap or something but you can't gap the first one i talk about, because it has 3 dents or something, the two other can be gapped, i just wonder if it came already gapped or not (and it's one step colder than the first one).
      12-04-2020, 09:51 PM   #10
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yep, you are right, in every thread i read, they speak about 0.022 gap or something but you can't gap the first one i talk about, because it has 3 dents or something, the two other can be gapped, i just wonder if it came already gapped or not (and it's one step colder than the first one).
Then just buy one of the other two, and whichever you choose put them in stock, see if you get misfires, and if you do then you'll have to gap them.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 05:02 AM   #11
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
What boost levels? 30-35psi? I have TT that I use every day and also for track, road course, 8 years and probably 50 track days, no issues at 20psi
Quote:
Some people are obsessed with gapping spark plugs. They even gap the oem 3 prong lol I also have ST that runs ok on these 3 prong oem spark plugs on GForce boost controller 28psi
Appreciate 1
335e92tx1036.00
      12-05-2020, 05:33 AM   #12
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
What boost levels? 30-35psi? I have TT that I use every day and also for track, road course, 8 years and probably 50 track days, no issues at 20psi

Some people are obsessed with gapping spark plugs. They even gap the oem 3 prong lol I also have ST that runs ok on these 3 prong oem spark plugs on GForce boost controller 28psi
lol i thought it wasn't possible to gap the 3 prong one, concerning me, it's the opposite, i am obsessed to not have to rule with gapping, so if the N55 came already gapped to correct specs i may buy these n55 ones, but if it's not already gapped, i prefer to buy first one to avoid the extra work and error margin.

nobody here seems to have tested these n55 plugs on the n54, so i will probably stick with the first ones anyway it's safer i guess
      12-05-2020, 08:28 AM   #13
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
lol i thought it wasn't possible to gap the 3 prong one, concerning me, it's the opposite, i am obsessed to not have to rule with gapping, so if the N55 came already gapped to correct specs i may buy these n55 ones, but if it's not already gapped, i prefer to buy first one to avoid the extra work and error margin.

nobody here seems to have tested these n55 plugs on the n54, so i will probably stick with the first ones anyway it's safer i guess
I didn’t say you are obsessed but there are too many of these threads of people gapping their spark plugs and recommending others to gap to .18 or .20 or whatever without any logs and tuning knowledge. If have the data from the particular engine and depending on the tune then make adjustment on the spark plugs. If not leave as is.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 08:00 PM   #14
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
If your using 30-35 psi as an example then yes the gap would presumably have to be tighter..but I doubt anyone is hitting 30-35psi with twins..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 06:29 PM   #15
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

From RSL a while back - https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...postcount=2809

these are thinwire bosch

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bosch-pa...2120039634kt2/

Quote:

Enjoy the life in canada bro.

It wont work in TX
And 94 in .ca is not common.. normally the 92 is sucky.

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8

Last edited by 335e92tx; 12-24-2020 at 06:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 09:57 PM   #16
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e92tx View Post
From RSL a while back - https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...postcount=2809

these are thinwire bosch

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bosch-pa...2120039634kt2/

Quote:

Enjoy the life in canada bro.

It wont work in TX
And 94 in .ca is not common.. normally the 92 is sucky.
I hear ya! Your heat and humidity will not help anything either lol.
I'm glad we have some 94 around but I'm not sure how great it is... although the butt dyno does feel nicer on the 93 map vs the 91.