E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > FBO E92 335i, wastegate rattle?

12-03-2020, 12:17 AM   #1
trenbalonace
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

FBO E92 335i, wastegate rattle?

This is a cold start. I'll try to get a sound recording while revving the car in neutral. When revving in neutral I get the impression it's the wastegates because I hear rattling after the revs drop. Am I going paranoid?

No performance loss or fault codes.

I searched around a bit and some people say it's normal to have some wastegate rattle but mine seems to be pretty audible in tunnels as well, bouncing off against walls between 1500-2000rpm. I should note that I have catless downpipes and a full Akrapovic exhaust so I only have a muffler.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10ZF...ew?usp=sharing

Some others that sound like mine:

Last edited by trenbalonace; 12-03-2020 at 12:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 09:42 AM   #2
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenbalonace View Post
This is a cold start. I'll try to get a sound recording while revving the car in neutral. When revving in neutral I get the impression it's the wastegates because I hear rattling after the revs drop. Am I going paranoid?

No performance loss or fault codes.

I searched around a bit and some people say it's normal to have some wastegate rattle but mine seems to be pretty audible in tunnels as well, bouncing off against walls between 1500-2000rpm. I should note that I have catless downpipes and a full Akrapovic exhaust so I only have a muffler.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10ZF...ew?usp=sharing

Some others that sound like mine:

I'm not sure what your question is but waste gate rattle isn't really "normal" it's just a common issue with these turbos. When it drives you crazy enough you will be swapping turbos with upgraded waste gates.
      12-03-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Adjust the wastegate rods.........that will get rid of the rattle. Search google, plenty of I do and videos on how to do it. Rear one is pretty easy, from one takes a little time but not horrible...you actually use a washer to space out the actuator on the front turbo since you can't easily adjust the rod.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2020, 01:40 PM   #4
trenbalonace
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
I'm not sure what your question is but waste gate rattle isn't really "normal" it's just a common issue with these turbos. When it drives you crazy enough you will be swapping turbos with upgraded waste gates.
So the turbo wastegates shouldn't even rattle slightly?
Can't believe it requires entirely new turbos to get rid of it.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 01:54 PM   #5
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenbalonace View Post
Quote:
So the turbo wastegates shouldn't even rattle slightly?
Can't believe it requires entirely new turbos to get rid of it.
Not really. Once they get bad enough they won't seal properly. I would try the above suggest and google some methods of possibly tightening them. I have no personal experience with this, I haven't developed a rattle yet *knocks on wood*.
Unfortunately the oem wastegates are a poor design and they can not be replaced without the turbos being replaced. If you do decide to go this route, check out the RB turbos with upgraded wastegates.
Obviously this is an expensive fix so I would explore those diy methods first.
      12-03-2020, 02:06 PM   #6
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Not really. Once they get bad enough they won't seal properly. I would try the above suggest and google some methods of possibly tightening them. I have no personal experience with this, I haven't developed a rattle yet *knocks on wood*.
Unfortunately the oem wastegates are a poor design and they can not be replaced without the turbos being replaced. If you do decide to go this route, check out the RB turbos with upgraded wastegates.
Yes they can. There are several kits online you can get in order to replace the oem wastegates.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...waAqXgEALw_wcB
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 02:09 PM   #7
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Quote:
Yes they can. There are several kits online you can get in order to replace the oem wastegates......yes, you will need a welder and come common sense, but it's possible.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-n54-wastegate-rattle-repair-kit-vargas-turbo-technologies-vtt-n54-wf2?ads_cmpid=1586640911&ads_adid=59893888775&ads_ matchtype=&ads_network=g&ads_creative=298302526031 &utm_term=&ads_targetid=pla-294680686006&utm_campaign=&utm_source=adwords&utm_ medium=ppc&ttv=2&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtqL-BRC0ARIsAF4K3WEChLbyNw83mEhbx36Sb3p9stCRe7dPOmpsjR k07uFXd_jVRGH78fwaAqXgEALw_wcB
Why on earth would you go through all that trouble and not replace/upgrade the turbos while you're in there? Such a labor intensive job to begin with. Seems little strange to go through all that just for wastegates on old oem turbos. .... but hey to each their own. I Never seen that before, thanks for sharing.
      12-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #8
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Genesis sedan 3.8 AWD

I've seen another "fix" on the BMW doctor channel.

I'm not 100, but I'm pretty sure your going to need to remove the front turbo in order to get that FCP kit on. Not sure you can access what you need to with the front turbo still in the car. Someone more knowledgeable then myself will surely verify that nugget.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 02:32 PM   #9
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Both turbos have to come out to install the new wastegate parts.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 03:13 PM   #10
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Genesis sedan 3.8 AWD

I didn't look at that FCP kit closely enough to notice that it has actual replacement waste gates. Duh, my bad. Of course they have to come out of the car and be totally opened up.

The other "fix" I had seen was some sort of apparatus that attached to the arm that actuates the waste gate and somehow provided tension to keep them closed and rattle free.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 06:51 PM   #11
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
That was a cold start right?

Can you post a warm start and rev it?

Mine was pretty bad, was hearing the rattle accelerating, so had the wastegates upgraded with Incolnel ones at a garage years back.

Had I known that RB turbos, I would have just got the OEM ones with upgraded Wastegates
Appreciate 0