ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-13-2008, 01:25 AM   #1
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

RE Diablo

Anyone try out the Rogue Engineering Diablo exhaust for the MZ4 yet? Essentially it's a pair of higher flowing rear cans, but price is good too...
      10-13-2008, 08:01 AM   #2
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a beast

Search, I put a thread up on it and so did killjohnnyforan
      10-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

I read yours. Nothing about performance. All sound. I'm more interested in performance.
      10-13-2008, 01:32 PM   #4
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
I read yours. Nothing about performance. All sound. I'm more interested in performance.
really not sure how much performanc eyou are looking for out of 2 cans...
      10-13-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Well, don't want to loose any first and foremost. RE doesn't have dyno charts to show the results of their/your system, which personally I think is suspect (that's based on an email I received from they today). Ultimately I'm looking to try and retrieve the 11 hp and 17 lb/ft of torque BMW NA robbed from us with the US spec exhaust system. But I'd prefer to not have to spend $4,000 to do it...
      10-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
killjohnnyforan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

us spec exhaust, the problems lies in the headers, not the cans dopey, if youre expecting that kind of power from cans you must be new at this
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 02:25 AM   #7
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjohnnyforan View Post
us spec exhaust, the problems lies in the headers, not the cans dopey, if youre expecting that kind of power from cans you must be new at this
Cans can bring about more horses on top, but may alter (decrease) the available hp/torque at the bottom end (highly probable...therefore foolish). For sure I wouldn't expect the RE exhaust to return anywhere close to the lost power over the Euro headers and midpipes, but my curiosity was more about what losses the RE system may achieve, if any. But thanks for being so nice about it.

Ultimately I'll get a price on the Euro headers and catalytic converters from here as opposed to the Turner Motorsport's high price ($4,160). I'm hoping it would cost less here, especially once I subtract the 19% tax.
      10-14-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
killjohnnyforan
First Lieutenant
Rep

any strait thru header will do. tintboy and myself have been running 100$ ebay headers without issue and hes had them much longer and ran race fuel thru them. so save your money there. get an ecu tune first so as not to soil yourself pissing in the wind b.c at stock it wont stray far from baseline. but honestly with just cans, youll be faster if you keep fuel at a 1/4 tank and cut the weight. if youre gonna get cans do it for sound. the RE diablo is feirce and those 80mm tips are sexy as hell
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
any strait thru header will do. tintboy and myself have been running 100$ ebay headers without issue and hes had them much longer and ran race fuel thru them. so save your money there. get an ecu tune first so as not to soil yourself pissing in the wind b.c at stock it wont stray far from baseline. but honestly with just cans, youll be faster if you keep fuel at a 1/4 tank and cut the weight. if youre gonna get cans do it for sound. the RE diablo is feirce and those 80mm tips are sexy as hell
      10-14-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
wyu177
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 m240i

I'd like to see additional videos (besides the one on RE's site) of the exhaust in action. Can someone please upload? Pretty Please!???
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 08:13 PM   #11
killjohnnyforan
First Lieutenant
Rep

i went throught the midtown tunnel WOT in second. good lord. i'll record it next time
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 09:46 PM   #12
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

rogue exhaust is so quiet. too quiet for me
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 07:41 AM   #13
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMazing07 View Post
rogue exhaust is so quiet. too quiet for me
have you heard it? cause you would be the first person to ever say that....
      12-02-2008, 09:08 AM   #14
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep

driving to work today, i look in my rearview mirror and see a GTR zooming to catch up from behind. He pulls up besides me and signals to lower my window. He says to me he was driving to his body shop and heard "one mean machine" and had to see what it was. i began to laugh. i really love this exhaust haha.
      12-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #15
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

I am looking forward getting this exhaust next summer but i am so worried about it being too loud and overly attractive to the crowd.(and police)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #16
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarlover View Post
I am looking forward getting this exhaust next summer but i am so worried about it being too loud and overly attractive to the crowd.(and police)
it is definatly aggressive. my gf claims she knows im coming to pick her up because she can hear my car coming from down the street. but imho, i don't think its obnoxiously loud. its sporty loud, the way a sports car should sound.
      12-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #17
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Why in gods name did you put ebay headers on a $50k car. God I wish I could hand people ebay headers and then a good set over the internet just so there is no doubt to how shitty they really are.

And FYI if you did not install them yourself you probably don't know, but you probably have an O2 sensor SHOVED into your transmission housing (on the e46 anyway, haven't put a set on any Z4s) unless your shop was nice enough to take the extra time to cut the bung in half. Not to mention that you have to physically pound them onto the studs of the block to just get the flanges to fit and then muscle the outlet flanges together to get them to fit into the stock exhaust.

And a new one I experienced with the last set that came through, the idiots laid such a thick weld on cylinder 6 that the nut would not thread onto the studs, the only way to use them was to grind down a nut to clear the weld.

That's why we charge extra to install them and don't really warranty the work.

Oh did I mention the gaskets are HIGHLY prone to failure?

12-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #18
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Why in gods name did you put ebay headers on a $50k car. God I wish I could hand people ebay headers and then a good set over the internet just so there is no doubt to how shitty they really are.

And FYI if you did not install them yourself you probably don't know, but you probably have an O2 sensor SHOVED into your transmission housing (on the e46 anyway, haven't put a set on any Z4s) unless your shop was nice enough to take the extra time to cut the bung in half. Not to mention that you have to physically pound them onto the studs of the block to just get the flanges to fit and then muscle the outlet flanges together to get them to fit into the stock exhaust.

And a new one I experienced with the last set that came through, the idiots laid such a thick weld on cylinder 6 that the nut would not thread onto the studs, the only way to use them was to grind down a nut to clear the weld.

When did the topic go to Ebay headers?
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 04:40 PM   #19
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdm4k View Post
When did the topic go to Ebay headers?
Post 8.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #20
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Yea an the OP is looking for performance from exhaust, which headers are the best for. Which means he might be swayed by the "cheap" price of ebay headers. Just wanted to make sure those less experienced with them had some info on them.
      12-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #21
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post

This is so different from everything I have heard.... both Tintboy and killjohnny have the ebay headers and besides having to cut the bungs in half they had no problems putting them on. I was even down at Rogue Engineering a couple months back picking up a set of spacers and I asked them if I should drop the money on superspint headers or just buy the ebay knockoffs. They kept telling me just to buy the ebay headers because the extra cost extra cost of the supersprints is not justified unless i really wanted the stepped headers. They said they have installed lots of the ebay headers and have never had any big problems with them.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 07:29 PM   #22
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F360C View Post
This is so different from everything I have heard.... both Tintboy and killjohnny have the ebay headers and besides having to cut the bungs in half they had no problems putting them on. I was even down at Rogue Engineering a couple months back picking up a set of spacers and I asked them if I should drop the money on superspint headers or just buy the ebay knockoffs. They kept telling me just to buy the ebay headers because the extra cost extra cost of the supersprints is not justified unless i really wanted the stepped headers. They said they have installed lots of the ebay headers and have never had any big problems with them.
It depends on what you classify as a problem. I consider having to force the headers on the head a problem, do they go on? Yes. Would I be ok with using a prybar and hammer to get them on MY car? NO. They should slide on easily (like OEM, AA, and SS).

Having the stock exhaust pushing out against the tips of the headers causing unneeded stress on the head bolts I consider a problem. Having to either grind down a weld or a nut, a problem (major reduced clamping force). Having to chop an O2 bung in half and only being able to put o2s in two of the bungs leaving you no place to put a wideband. A Problem.

Sorry, I also forgot to mention that the walls of the ebay headers are less than half as thick as SS or AA headers which mean they make your exhaust sound like crap. That's actually where a lot of the e46 rasp comes from, and make no mistake of this as a joke.

But some people think if they fit and "work" then there is no problem and they are happy.

I originally planned on ebay headers too, then I installed and heard a few of each and quickly changed my mind.