F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Minecraft....... What's it all about.?
Extreme Powerhouse

11-27-2020, 04:03 PM   #1
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i MPPSK.

Minecraft....... What's it all about.?

I got this for my daughter as she loves adventure style games on her Switch. Zelda is a BIG hit with her. I've heard lots about Minecraft and she has mentioned that her mates play it too. Pocket money spent and it arrived today.

Progress so far:

Nightime keeps arriving, spooky creatures appear and beat us up.
We dug a big hole, and got stuck.
Drowned.
Smacking blocks of stone with a dead chicken.
Fell in some lava.
Stole some guys carrots.

My daughters mates (8yr olds) play it loads and apparently they love it but we're failing to have much fun.

I suspect there is WAY more to it than we've found but to be honest it's only been an hour.
A quick google mentions crafting tables and furnaces..!!??!! I cannot find them anywhere. Do we need to build these... ?

Bring back Mariokart baloon popping.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 04:17 PM   #2
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

My boys 4 and 9 are obsessed with it, my 9 year old watches other people play it on YouTube. It looks crap, there’s better graphics on duck hunt and the dude doing the talking pisses me off but they love it.

The Nintendo Switch versions seems even more addictive with Mario World.

There’s all kinds on it, you can catch and cook animals, have it where you can be hunted so have to hide and fight, dig and find lava.....my 4 year old was rowing in a boat earlier.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 04:51 PM   #3
daveface
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

My boys play it and love it, I would say play it in creative mode (you can fly, build anything and not get killed) that should give you an idea of how to do things then you can switch to survival mode (which it sounds like your in now).
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 04:53 PM   #4
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveface View Post
My boys play it and love it, I would say play it in creative mode (you can fly, build anything and not get killed) that should give you an idea of how to do things then you can switch to survival mode (which it sounds like your in now).
This, play in creative, much more fun.

I've built some pretty awesome structures on our PS3 (even if I do say so myself)
      11-27-2020, 04:54 PM   #5
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Attached Images

11-28-2020, 03:14 AM   #6
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post
My boys 4 and 9 are obsessed with it, my 9 year old watches other people play it on YouTube. It looks crap, there’s better graphics on duck hunt and the dude doing the talking pisses me off but they love it.
My kids do exactly the same with this game and Roblox and Fortnite.

I get them (and myself) a 3080 GPU and this is what they use it for
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 05:38 AM   #7
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Isn't it like Lego online, people just seem to build with blocks in it.
      11-28-2020, 06:30 AM   #8
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

^^ nice structure !!

Some progress today...
Mainly involving my 8yr old daughter just running around digging holes and trying to fight everything (she's just come from completing Zelda - Breath of the Wild)

I'm still not convinced I see the point. I think becuase it's just such a free for all with no real mission/reward structure found as yet.
She joined her friends world, and they built a square house.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 03:29 PM   #9
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

It takes a bit of getting used to but my two boys are obsessed now and I actuallylike it now I know how to do a few bits. They also watch all the you tubers playing who are the most irritating people on the planet.
Sign of the times but watching some annoying American kid constantly shout whilst playing minecraft is beyond me. (I appreciate I am not the target audience )
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 04:25 PM   #10
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
It takes a bit of getting used to but my two boys are obsessed now and I actuallylike it now I know how to do a few bits. They also watch all the you tubers playing who are the most irritating people on the planet.
Sign of the times but watching some annoying American kid constantly shout whilst playing minecraft is beyond me. (I appreciate I am not the target audience )
The Manc bloke they watch as about 12 million subscribers
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 02:04 AM   #11
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post
My boys 4 and 9 are obsessed with it, my 9 year old watches other people play it on YouTube......
THIS!

There are some real annoying grown up fuckers on youtube doing endless hours of videos..........the wee boy gets sent into another room as i cant stand the voices. Stampy springs to mind.
Appreciate 1
F20MAW73876.50
      11-29-2020, 06:55 AM   #12
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

She's not delved into the youtube vids yet.. (we're a kids tablet and phone free house so far)
Now creating some massive house on the side of a cliff with a castle attached, swimming pool on the roof and lit up like a christmas tree...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 04:22 AM   #13
twix228
Registered
Rep
Drives: Toyota venza 2012 (2.7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medslow View Post
I got this for my daughter as she loves adventure style games on her Switch. Zelda is a BIG hit with her. I've heard lots about Minecraft and she has mentioned that her mates play it too. Pocket money spent and it arrived today.

Progress so far:

Nightime keeps arriving, spooky creatures appear and beat us up.
We dug a big hole, and got stuck.
Drowned.
Smacking blocks of stone with a dead chicken.
Fell in some lava.
Stole some guys carrots.

My daughters mates (8yr olds) play it loads and apparently they love it but we're failing to have much fun.

I suspect there is WAY more to it than we've found but to be honest it's only been an hour.
A quick google mentions crafting tables and furnaces..!!??!! I cannot find them anywhere. Do we need to build these... ?

Bring back Mariokart baloon popping.
My son also played Minecraft before and at some point lost interest because he didn't have time to get things when they started killing him. At that point, I started looking for solutions like cheat codes. Then I came across a creative mod in which you can fly, get any item and never die. Previously, I had not heard anything about such a mode as a creative mod, and as soon as I found out I decided to try turning it on, but I realized that the version of my game was not suitable, and I decided to download hamachi minecraft and I managed to turn it on, and now he is happy.Try to do the same! Hope this helps you !

Last edited by twix228; 02-16-2021 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 04:32 PM   #14
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Well, she's not stopped with it since she found Creative Mode.
I see the point now of Creative Mode, if your treat it as a basic block building simulator, or world explorer then it works well.

She has built endless houses and contraptions, firework displays, mine carts and also built portals to the 'Nether' and 'End'.. (the Nether is freaky, and she doesnt hang about long!)
Found strongholds, pirate ships and underwater fortresses.

The Survival Mode is another story and more game like I suppose.. But the learning curve and speed required to get sorted before nightime is way too much for an 8yr old in my view, maybe if she memorises the Youtube tutorials but we havnt introduced her to YouTube yet. And will try for as long as possible.

She's recently found the mini games section.. Throwing snowballs at people in a team based challange.. Also hide and seek.

From a 40yr ex gamer POV though, I really think it needs a v2 release.
Better chat (typing on a console takes forever and get interrupted) and I feel the graphics could do with being less blocky, I know it's the intended look and style but I find it frustrating and too simple.
Appreciate 0