BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-14-2020, 04:36 PM   #1
philooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: porsche

2021 BMW X5 45e USA - Artic black - philooo

I'll document my build order in this thread...

Dealer Negotiations:
- Multi-dealer talks in the south florida region. All talks were online only. NO WALK-IN (don't do that
- Tried to negotiate some local inventory X5 45e, but the discount was 5-6% at best.
- Started thinking about ordering instead, still 45e mainly becuase of the tax credit for EV ($7,500). Surprisinginly I got better offers right away, finally after initiating talk with 3 dealers at the same time I got offered 11% off MSRP before incentives (loyalty/penfed/bmw drive event).
- Surprisingly many dealer didn't even reply to my online requests. Walks-in are more profitable.
- Placed the order physically at the dealership with $500 down, barely a cashier printout as 'proof of ordering'. I heard some dealer sometime sell your ordered car, now I can see why, nothing really binds buyer/seller.

Car configuration:
Lots of reading on this forum to find the right options.
- 2021 year model for the 45e has much less options available. No acoustic glass, no B&W sound system, no soft-close doors, no night-vision, no more heat/cool cup-holders. I even read the alcanthara headliner is not including the sunroof rolling cover anymore... I checked that option so I hope it will not be the case on my build!
- Main decisions were on Laser headlights, included in the executive package, and extended merino leather.
Overall the laser headlight seems to be more of a gimmick considering the standard LED headlight are deemed very good. As for Merino, it is a nicer leather but it is more fragile and I'd rather a lower quality leather looking pristine than a great leather looking tired. Also I currently have Nevada leather in my E70 X5 and I am fine with it. If you have no kids/dogs go for Merino.

Ordering:
10/31/20: 45e Order Placed, $500 deposit, printed document showing 11% off msrp before incentives.
The dealership only gives you a printout of your build then called me later to give me my production numbers, very informal process. Luckily you can then follow on the bmw website with the production number and at least validate the order/options are correct.

Order tracking via the BMW Garage
11/02/20: Order scheduled for production
11/05/20: Called dealer to make an option change - order updated next day online.
11/11/20: Production begins (vin assigned) Genius Call (1-800-831-1117) -> ETA: Nov 24th 2020. Week 49 thread
11/24/20 6AM: Entering Assembly line.
11/24/20 6PM: Quality Check.
11/25/20 6AM: Awaiting Carrier Assignment
11/27/20 6PM: Dispatched From Factory
11/28/20: CA informed me the car will be at the dealer on 11/29 but my status is still 'Dispatched From Factory'
we'll see how accurate my CA is.
12/01/20: car is at the dealer

Closing/Finance
Deal was closed with the following numbers:
Car: 81,250
MSRP discount: 9047 ( 11% before rebates)
Rebates: penfed ($3,250) + drive event ($1,000): 4250
If you don't have penfed, BMW financing was offering $2,500 compatible with Loyalty $1,000 and Drive event ($1,000). For some reason I still can't understand, the dealer would nto offer me the 11% off msrp if I selected BMW financing.

Overall 16% discount before the hybrid tax credit - 45e hybrid tax credit: 7,500

Photo attached is NOT my car, but that is the same options and colors, and I think a much better shot than what I can ever take

Option List:
2021 BMW X5 45e (G05)
- artict grey
- M-sport package
- Premium pack
- Vernasca leather - black
- dark mesh aluminum
- 741M wheels 21"
- LED headlights (base)
- Driver assistance professional package
- luxury seating package
- parking assistance package
- trailer hitch
- rear manual side shades
- frotn/rear heated seats
- alcanthara headliner
- extended shadow trim
- M-sport brake in blue

Wished for but not available:
- acoustic glass +++
- carbon fiber trim +++
- glass control option standalone

Wished but decided to save some pennies AND also keep the car more maintenance free:
- Executive package, wanted the glass control but not laser light, which is cheap to buy but I worry about maintenance and the complexity of these headlights. Also I prefer the blacked out base headlights.
- Merino Leather, I would have taken this if I was older, without kids. But right now I just want to not have to worry about my leather.
Attached Images

Last edited by philooo; 12-05-2020 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 3
Jason40322.00
sunfarm26.50
      11-14-2020, 09:02 PM   #2
DCwell3er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05

Garage List
Congrats and hope you enjoy it! Did you go w/ the 45e? I see that's what you started negotiating on, but wasn't sure if that's what you ended up getting.
      11-24-2020, 05:47 AM   #3
philooo
Private First Class
Rep

reserved for delivery
      11-24-2020, 05:49 AM   #4
philooo
Private First Class
Rep

reserved for first impressions

- Hybrid drive is great. Not that muchpower when you force all electric but enough, and i can start my car in the garage without blasting fumes in the house.
- LED standard headlight seems more than fine
- Vernasca leather, is just ok, I hope the durability will be there because it does look cheap compared to Merino. I would love Merino but I know I am not the kind of guy who will be applying leather cleaner/moisturizer...
- artic grey color is great, especially with these rims as they are painted a very similar color
- glass control would have been nice to spike up the cabin but base command are very BMW-ishy and work well
- comfort massaging seat are just as comfy as my E70 comfort seat. great way to guarantee good seating position.
- harman kardon stereo is pretty good, not high-end but above average for sure. no need for more unless you want really deep bass.
- handling with air suspension is good, but not as tight as my active roll stabilisation in the E70.
- 21" rims are ok on good pavement, but it feel a bit rough on bumps, I may change to 20". Steering is a bit more responsibe but I think 20" should be the way to go for a comfort that will match the rest of the vehicle behavior.

... more impression in a few weeks

overall very happy,especilaly with the hybrid powertrain.

Last edited by philooo; 12-05-2020 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 1
sunfarm26.50
      11-25-2020, 05:55 AM   #5
philooo
Private First Class
Rep

reserve for customization / coding
      12-05-2020, 08:11 AM   #6
philooo
Private First Class
Rep

reserved for second impression, may be contradicting or validating the first impressions
      12-05-2020, 08:13 AM   #7
philooo
Private First Class
Rep

reserved for final conclusion...hopefully in 10 years when I sell the car