F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Track handling package for 2016 340
Studio RSR

11-12-2020, 03:00 PM   #1
paulymu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i Xdrive Msport

Track handling package for 2016 340

Im interested in getting the track handling package for my 2016 340. I called the dealer to find out more info as well as get the price for MPPSK and if the track package was included. They quoted me the price for MPPSK at $2,950 plus about $600-700 for install but the track package wasn't showing up in their system. My question is, just what exactly does the track package consist of, and how can i get it if my car didn't come with it from factory? I have the adaptive suspension, so i can change the suspension feel from eco-comfort-sport, and sport plus. Is the track package just upgraded brake pads and rotors with colored calipers?

Thank you for your thoughts
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 03:34 PM   #2
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

M Sport Adaptive suspension
Variable Sport Steering
Brembo blue Msport brake calipers and pads
Extra small radiator for extra cooling
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 03:40 PM   #3
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Track package is optioned when ordering the car, it's not something that can be ordered from the dealer. You can add the brakes though. FWIW I have adaptive suspension and extra radiators but no track package.
If you have mucho $$$ you can fully retrofit track package.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 04:46 PM   #4
Moupe
Monobloc
United_States
Rep
Drives: '02 M Coupe - '19 F31 330ix

Garage List
Track package also includes Michelin Pilot Supersport tires wrapped over staggered 18" Orbit Grey 398 wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 05:55 PM   #5
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

You already have the adjustable suspension so all you need are upgraded brakes - calipers, rotors, and pads. You can either buy the BMW-branded version or just get the Brembo oem directly. On the 340i I believe the brake upgrade is pretty minor, so you might just want to paint the calipers and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 10:33 PM   #6
paulymu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i Xdrive Msport

Thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 11:55 PM   #7
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulymu View Post
Im interested in getting the track handling package for my 2016 340. I called the dealer to find out more info as well as get the price for MPPSK and if the track package was included. They quoted me the price for MPPSK at $2,950 plus about $600-700 for install but the track package wasn't showing up in their system. My question is, just what exactly does the track package consist of, and how can i get it if my car didn't come with it from factory? I have the adaptive suspension, so i can change the suspension feel from eco-comfort-sport, and sport plus. Is the track package just upgraded brake pads and rotors with colored calipers?

Thank you for your thoughts
The MPPSK is by far not worth it, you can get more performance gain from a JB+ or dinan sport tune piggyback for $200-300 compare to the $3000 cost of MPPSK. They are identical in gain method as well, just turn up the boost, nothing else. You're paying 10 times more just because it has a BMW logo on it.
      11-13-2020, 04:06 AM   #8
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
Track package is optioned when ordering the car, it's not something that can be ordered from the dealer. You can add the brakes though. FWIW I have adaptive suspension and extra radiators but no track package.
This. Get bm3 and flash the mppsk tune.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 05:05 AM   #9
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moupe View Post
Track package also includes Michelin Pilot Supersport tires wrapped over staggered 18" Orbit Grey 398 wheels.
Mine came with 19" 442m staggered runflats. Those were then promptly switched out to some summer performance tires.
      11-13-2020, 05:59 AM   #10
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Keep in mind that the so called "Track handling package" is simply what it says - a package of individual options. Such package was never offered in Europe (as far as I know), however all individual options are/were available when ordering. In other words - since you are not ordering a new vehicle - forget the "package" - look at the individual options for retrofitting and which of those may be of value to you.

Quote:
FWIW I have adaptive suspension and extra radiators but no track package.
It is the first time I hear the package included an extra radiator. Where is it and can you advise its configuration code, if it was ever a separate option? Would be curious to check if I have it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanity View Post
The MPPSK is by far not worth it, you can get more performance gain from a JB+ or dinan sport tune piggyback for $200-300 compare to the $3000 cost of MPPSK. They are identical in gain method as well, just turn up the boost, nothing else. You're paying 10 times more just because it has a BMW logo on it.
The method is not identical (there is timing involved as well, not just boost). But that's just for the record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Except that MPPSK is not just software. It includes a state of the art cat-back valved exhaust system, which alone is worth every penny. Of course there are alternatives on the market (Akrapovic, Remus, etc.), but you certainly don't get them by dowloading software over the phone and they cost close to what you'd pay for MPPSK, without the extra tune.

Of course if you want it quick, cheap and dirty - you can go for a tune only. But it is very misleading to compare.... oranges to banannas.
      11-13-2020, 07:44 AM   #11
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post

It is the first time I hear the package included an extra radiator. Where is it and can you advise its configuration code, if it was ever a separate option? Would be curious to check if I have it.....
Two extra radiators, behind each fog light grill. THP also deletes the fog lights for proper cooling of said radiators. I have both the radiators and the fogs.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 07:46 AM   #12
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Two extra radiators, behind each fog light grill. THP also deletes the fog lights for proper cooling of said radiators. I have both the radiators and the fogs.
Do you have the radiators from factory? What is the respective Option name and code?
      11-13-2020, 07:48 AM   #13
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
M Sport Adaptive suspension
Variable Sport Steering
Brembo blue Msport brake calipers and pads
Extra small radiator for extra cooling
It also deleted the fog lights. Purely cosmetic and not mechanical like the OP is discussing, but something else for anyone reading this thread in the future looking for answers. Not sure if the removal of the fog lights really improves the airflow all that much over the cooling stuck in those side ducts.
      11-13-2020, 07:56 AM   #14
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Do you have the radiators from factory? What is the respective Option name and code?
Yes, car came with them from factory, but it's not a listed option. I think some cars got them randomly. Some got none, others got one side only, others got both, depending on market/geography...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 08:01 AM   #15
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, car came with them from factory, but it's not a listed option. I think some cars got them randomly. Some got none, others got one side only, others got both, depending on market/geography...
This is probably part of a "hot climate" package configuration. Can you check if you have that?

I have the opposite - cold climate package but a bit unsure what it contains.... higher rating alternator and maybe bigger battery, plus something else...
And obviously - no additional radiators
      11-13-2020, 08:08 AM   #16
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I think it is a regional thing and it varies by year too.

Some cars like mine and im_an_aliens have two. I've seen some non-THP M-sports with either one or two additional radiators; pre-LCI had one and the post-LCI had two. I don't know if I've seen any N55 or B58 M Sport cars that didn't have at least one.

It's been a year or more since I pulled VINs, but I think some US based cars have BOTH the cold climate and hot climate option code.

It sounds like this is highly regionalized. I wonder how Canadian cars or cars from warmer climates like southern Europe, Southern Asia or the Middle East are equipped?
      11-13-2020, 08:11 AM   #17
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
This is probably part of a "hot climate" package configuration. Can you check if you have that?

I have the opposite - cold climate package but a bit unsure what it contains.... higher rating alternator and maybe bigger battery, plus something else...
And obviously - no additional radiators
I have both hot and cold climate option, probably has something to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 08:14 AM   #18
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Keep in mind that the so called "Track handling package" is simply what it says - a package of individual options. Such package was never offered in Europe (as far as I know), however all individual options are/were available when ordering. In other words - since you are not ordering a new vehicle - forget the "package" - look at the individual options for retrofitting and which of those may be of value to you.

Quote:
FWIW I have adaptive suspension and extra radiators but no track package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanity View Post
The method is not identical (there is timing involved as well, not just boost). But that's just for the record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Except that MPPSK is not just software. It includes a state of the art cat-back valved exhaust system, which alone is worth every penny. Of course there are alternatives on the market (Akrapovic, Remus, etc.), but you certainly don't get them by dowloading software over the phone and they cost close to what you'd pay for MPPSK, without the extra tune.

Of course if you want it quick, cheap and dirty - you can go for a tune only. But it is very misleading to compare.... oranges to banannas.
For what it is worth I purchased the mppsk. I have 2018 340 that is in warranty, thus I wanted a warranty approved addition to the car. The exhaust is great no complaints there at all. I have had it more than a year now and I remain very happy with that purchase. The extra power is great too. I don't track the car and this is my daily driver so I feel this was the ideal purchase for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 08:31 AM   #19
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Quote:
My 340 has one extra radiator behind the passenger side fog light. I have the fog lights too. Is this only on the LCI versions?? I have to admit off the top of my head I am not sure what this extra radiator does. Too early in the morning here.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 09:00 AM   #20
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Well, for the record, I have LCI and no additional radiators as far as I can tell (where do you see them from anyway, since the fog lights trim is not perforated!?)

I however have the "842 cold climate version".
      11-13-2020, 09:26 AM   #21
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Are you saying the black plastic area your fog lights are mounted in is a faux mesh and is actually fills that entire portion of the facia with a solid piece of plastic?

With my car (without the fog lights) the smaller side openings on each side of the front facia are a wide-open plastic mesh and you can clearly see a radiator behind each one. The mesh is so open I frequently get leaves stuck in there during the fall and have to pull them out to keep the radiator clear.

BMW sedans/coupes are not very common around here, and M Sports are pretty rare, so I'm having a hard time remembering how you can see the radiator on a non-THP car. I can't remember if there was an opening in the trim where you'd see the radiator(s) or if you had to get under the car and look up for the radiator and/or the plumbing for it. While shopping for a car I do remember looking for the radiators to prove/disprove a dealer's package listing for a car.
      11-13-2020, 10:00 AM   #22
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

The drivers side contains the Auxiliary Radiator (N55 only) which is connected in parallel with the main central radiator.

The passengers side contains the additional Oil Cooler, provided with the Hot climate option (option S833A, on my 2016 F36 w/THP).

On my car, THP added the Variable Sport Steering, M Sport Brakes, Sport Auto trans, Adaptive M Suspension, and alternate wheels/tires. I also have M Sport package, and both Hot & Cold Climate options, and no fog lights.