F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Windshield Cracked-Need advise/suggestions
proTUNING Freaks

11-11-2020, 06:09 PM   #1
jsanatx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F32-Sapphire Black

Windshield Cracked-Need advise/suggestions

Hi all, fairly new to the forum, asking for advise/suggestions on getting the windshield replaced/repaired on my F32. Driving on the highway and out of nowhere a rock hits my windshield on the passenger side. Immediately, the rock chip developed a horizontal crack to either side of the chip. The horizontal crack leading away from the crack (going toward the driver's side) is growing. In 2 days it went from 3 inches to about 6 inches. I know I can take it Safelight and they'll probably say the windshield needs to be replaced, I don't have an issue with that. The problem is going to come when I file a claim with my insurance. They will probably want to replace it with some aftermarket piece of crap. I want original equipment (OE).

What advise do y'all have for dealing with the insurance company? Have y'all been successful getting the insurance to pay for OE? If, by some miracle, I can get the insurance company to pay for OE, do I go to my local dealer to order?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 06:17 PM   #2
MEN54
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330 xi

Gorilla glue,,,

bro, get insurance involved and get it replaced....
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 06:23 PM   #3
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

It depends on your particular insurer. I think ours only does OEM depending on the age of the car.

That said, between my wife and I we’ve probably had a couple dozen windshields replaced over the years. Once I needed 3 replacements in 3 months - after the 3rd one the insurance company opened an “investigation” I guess for fraud but I never even heard from an investigator. Anyway, I’ve never been able to tell any difference between OEM (with the bmw logo) vs not - it’s not like BMW has a windshield factory, they buy glass from those same aftermarket companies and slap a logo on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 07:02 PM   #4
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanatx View Post
Hi all, fairly new to the forum, asking for advise/suggestions on getting the windshield replaced/repaired on my F32. Driving on the highway and out of nowhere a rock hits my windshield on the passenger side. Immediately, the rock chip developed a horizontal crack to either side of the chip. The horizontal crack leading away from the crack (going toward the driver's side) is growing. In 2 days it went from 3 inches to about 6 inches. I know I can take it Safelight and they'll probably say the windshield needs to be replaced, I don't have an issue with that. The problem is going to come when I file a claim with my insurance. They will probably want to replace it with some aftermarket piece of crap. I want original equipment (OE).

What advise do y'all have for dealing with the insurance company? Have y'all been successful getting the insurance to pay for OE? If, by some miracle, I can get the insurance company to pay for OE, do I go to my local dealer to order?

Thanks in advance.
Contact your insurance co. Don’t know what year you’re car is. Sometimes We think too much. Tell them you want oem.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 06:49 AM   #5
tardboi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive MSport

Mine cracked like yours, started on edge and grew to halfway across the windshield over a matter of days.

I wanted OE replacement and my agent entertained it, but said I had to file with safelite first. I didn't really have enough time to wait though so accepted aftermarket.

It's fine; HUD is a little out of focus, but rain sensor is normal.

Overall I'd accept aftermarket again.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 08:22 AM   #6
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Some insurance will work you even if your car is over the age limit or you can pay the difference between OEM and aftermarket...usually about 20-30%
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 10:04 AM   #7
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Some insurance will work you even if your car is over the age limit or you can pay the difference between OEM and aftermarket...usually about 20-30%
That has been my experience too.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 10:06 AM   #8
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
It depends on your particular insurer. I think ours only does OEM depending on the age of the car.

That said, between my wife and I we’ve probably had a couple dozen windshields replaced over the years. Once I needed 3 replacements in 3 months - after the 3rd one the insurance company opened an “investigation” I guess for fraud but I never even heard from an investigator. Anyway, I’ve never been able to tell any difference between OEM (with the bmw logo) vs not - it’s not like BMW has a windshield factory, they buy glass from those same aftermarket companies and slap a logo on it.
Haha, I felt the same way with my old w46. It was a rock magnet. I think I went through 6-7 windshields in the 16 years I owned it. My old mustang GT never had a windshield replaced and was 20 years old when I sold it??? Same thing with our van. No rhyme or reason since all the cats drove on the same highways and same long trips over the years.
Appreciate 1
chiefneil771.50
      11-12-2020, 10:40 AM   #9
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
Haha, I felt the same way with my old w46. It was a rock magnet. I think I went through 6-7 windshields in the 16 years I owned it. My old mustang GT never had a windshield replaced and was 20 years old when I sold it??? Same thing with our van. No rhyme or reason since all the cats drove on the same highways and same long trips over the years.
I cringe everytime I hear a rock hitting my windshield... Then the first thing I do is stop and look for cracks... Keeping in mind repair is free with my insurance thru safelight, only if it can be repair and not on my line of sight....😅
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 11:01 AM   #10
M Smurf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanatx View Post

Thanks in advance.
Mine was just replaced last week in my driveway.

First, find out from your insurance whether or not you have full glass coverage. Most do.

Second, ask about getting a Pilkington branded glass which as I understand it is OE without the BMW logo.

I have HUD and works the same as well as the rain sensing wipers.

I would also contact your BMW indy or even the dealer to find out who they use. Your dealer wont do this in house.

Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 11:07 AM   #11
Fredo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I'm in ATX as well. Earlier this year, my e46 got a long crack on the windshield. It ran all the way from the driver's to the passenger's side.

I took it to BMW of Austin. It was around $667 OTD. It won't hurt to ask an estimate there. I only have liability, I didn't went thru insurance.

FYI, my car passed the state inspection with the cracked windshield. In TX the windshield is not included in the safety inspection.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 01:19 PM   #12
whatevs
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw 328

Had windshields replaced for my Jeep and they always pushed me to Safelite. Couldnt convince them to use the dealer and OEM. As others mentioned, could be based on your insurer.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 02:51 PM   #13
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Safelite does it cheaper, so the ins. cos. want to use them. Depending on your policy & company, you can use a different installer & get OEM glass (or dealer glass, if you pay the difference between the allowable & actual cost). With many BMW dealers offering internet discounts I was able to get dealer glass cheaper than the ins. co. allowable for aftermarket glass.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 06:35 PM   #14
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Mine cracked and Novus fixed the crack. But it started spreading really fast before they could get out.

All they did was drill a tiny indent at the leading edge of the crack and slobber some of their windshield glue over the crack. The crack soaked-up the glue automatically -- then he just took a razor blade and scraped off the old glue.

Next time this happens I'll just spend the $15 at the autoparts store and do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 09:18 PM   #15
Livetodrive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i X Drive

Garage List
Safelight replaced my windshield with an OEM unit. No issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 04:58 PM   #16
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
My Car has Fuyao. I don't have HUD, but quite frankly I don't care much for having the little BMW logo in the corner of my windshield. As far as I know Fuyao also supplies OEMs ...
My previous E90 had its windshield OEM broken, then I replaced with Pilkington... I don't have problems with any one...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 11:24 AM   #17
Dave turbo
Rep
Drives: F30

USAA

I have USAA coverage. They will only approve $483. A glass shop is able to do it for $620 and use aftermarket glass along with factory parts for the molding, which is about $75.

$620 doesn't seem too much. The dealer wants about $2000 for factory parts and glass.

Any success in getting a little more covered?

The car is a F30 with no HUD, only a rain sensor.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 07:40 AM   #18
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

I've had great luck in using collision shops to replace/repair windshields. Considerably less expensive than a dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 07:20 AM   #19
schernov
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340zhp, 2009 135i

Get a quote from the dealer , send it to the ins company. Tell them you are dropping it off at the dealer and they can negotiate with them.
Dealers outsource it anyway.
Appreciate 0