F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > TPMS sensor question
ARMA SPEED

11-11-2020, 05:15 AM   #1
Moffo
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 440i

TPMS sensor question

Hey everyone. Just found out today that if one of my tires is under a certain tire pressure, I can't change the car's driving mode. That made me wonder if my new aftermarket wheels don't have a TPMS sensor redrill, would that make the car not read my tire pressure and thus cause me to not be able to change my driving mode? I felt like I did not need the TPMS because I have a tire inflator that reads my pressure and I check my wheels every 2 weeks or so regardless.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 05:54 AM   #2
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

My summer wheels did not have tams sensors until last year where I added them. The TPMS light warning will always come up when there are no sensors but it will NOT (did not in my case) affect you changing modes.

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 06:30 AM   #3
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moffo View Post
I felt like I did not need the TPMS because I have a tire inflator that reads my pressure and I check my wheels every 2 weeks or so regardless.
An answer to your main question is already given, but I think you completely misunderstand the intended application of TPMS!

TPMS is actually a safety feature. It is not there to inform you, that your tires are under- or over-inflated (it is you who set the datum and the system has no idea whether it is right or wrong). The TPMS is there to give you an early warning for a flat tire, before you notice the car pulls to one side or even worse – cause an accident with high speed! You can check the pressure of your tires every morning if you wish, but you still will not compensate for the lack of TPMS! I can’t think of a reason why one should consciously skip the sensors. Money inadequately saved.
      11-11-2020, 11:19 AM   #4
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Weird, I experienced the opposite of these two posts. When we had a cold snap 2 weeks ago my tire pressure went below 28psi and the tpms light came on. When the light came on i could not use sport+ mode. I can't remember if it wouldn't let me toggle into the mode at all or if i could toggle into it but the car did not change the driving dynamics. Everything was fine after I addressed the pressure issue and reset the tpms obviously.
      11-11-2020, 11:42 AM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

That's as it should be. If the tire pressure is low enough to set off the warning they're too low to be safe at high speeds or in tight cornering.
Appreciate 2
njdangelo436.00
BMWILUVU809.00
      11-11-2020, 12:11 PM   #6
M Smurf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

My winter set has no TPMS. THe first winter I was unable to use Sport mode as I believe is the intended design. Since then, Sport mode has worked. No idea why. Also, not looking for anwers.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 04:26 PM   #7
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Maybe they updated the behavior -- I have a 2016 and one time a tire was low and I was locked out of sport mode too. I pulled over and fixed the issue immediately. And after inflating the tire, I was STILL locked out, until I stopped and kicked off a TPMS reset / learning procedure, in the car. Unfortunately, I was on a freeway drive so had no sport mode for about an hour, until I got off at my exit and kicked off the re-learn procedure.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 03:43 AM   #8
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i

You can also disable TPMS in bimmercode phone app if you're getting aftermarket wheels. IMO, you don't need it, 90% of the cars on the road don't have it and they're all fine. It's a huge pain too when the sensor breaks, I've owned 5 bimmers and 3 of them had faulty tire pressure sensors popped up, it's hella expensive to replace, not worth it at all, easier to just disable it with an app.

Bimmercode app is for BMW owners without a warranty, all these convenience complex features, when they go, just disable it, my last bimmer, the driver side mirror kept folding by itself at random, so I disabled mirror folding in bimmercode, problem solved, I don't need to fork out hundreds of dollars every time some german electrical gremlin happens.

Last edited by Zanity; 11-13-2020 at 04:00 AM..
Appreciate 2
Moffo1.00
      11-13-2020, 07:26 AM   #9
M Smurf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanity View Post
You can also disable TPMS in bimmercode phone app if you're getting aftermarket wheels. IMO, you don't need it, 90% of the cars on the road don't have it and they're all fine. It's a huge pain too when the sensor breaks, I've owned 5 bimmers and 3 of them had faulty tire pressure sensors popped up, it's hella expensive to replace, not worth it at all, easier to just disable it with an app.

Bimmercode app is for BMW owners without a warranty, all these convenience complex features, when they go, just disable it, my last bimmer, the driver side mirror kept folding by itself at random, so I disabled mirror folding in bimmercode, problem solved, I don't need to fork out hundreds of dollars every time some german electrical gremlin happens.
Really? Without complex coding involved? I'd like to get rid of the light for 3 months!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 06:07 PM   #10
emfollin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M-sport

I’ve used bimmercode and don’t believe that is true, at least not in the easy coding side. Maybe in expert coding?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 05:32 AM   #11
njdangelo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanity View Post

90% of cars don't have front collision assist or automatic breaking but those features save lives just tpms. As inconvenient as not being able shift in .02 seconds is, it's a hell of a lot better than suffering a blow out on the highway at 80mph.

I'd say 3 tpms over 5 cars is a pretty good ratio. They aren't THAT expensive. Again in comparison to a tire failure and subsequent accident that $90 would be well spent. But to each their own
Skyhigh1889.50
      11-15-2020, 01:35 AM   #12
Moffo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
90% of cars don't have front collision assist or automatic breaking but those features save lives just tpms. As inconvenient as not being able shift in .02 seconds is, it's a hell of a lot better than suffering a blow out on the highway at 80mph.

I'd say 3 tpms over 5 cars is a pretty good ratio. They aren't THAT expensive. Again in comparison to a tire failure and subsequent accident that $90 would be well spent. But to each their own
Yeah definitely understand. I'll likely give a call to see if they can redrill once I get my wheels. Main reason why I did not go for the TPMS drill was because the guy recommended me not to in case I wanted to sell my wheels later on down the road which is a big factor.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 01:36 AM   #13
Moffo
Rep

Quote:
Weird, I experienced the opposite of these two posts. When we had a cold snap 2 weeks ago my tire pressure went below 28psi and the tpms light came on. When the light came on i could not use sport+ mode. I can't remember if it wouldn't let me toggle into the mode at all or if i could toggle into it but the car did not change the driving dynamics. Everything was fine after I addressed the pressure issue and reset the tpms obviously.
Was this on stock wheels?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 01:42 AM   #14
Moffo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
My summer wheels did not have tams sensors until last year where I added them. The TPMS light warning will always come up when there are no sensors but it will NOT (did not in my case) affect you changing modes.
What year was your car? Just afraid of how it locked me out again last time if I register new wheels with no TPMS
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 05:48 AM   #15
njdangelo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah definitely understand. I'll likely give a call to see if they can redrill once I get my wheels. Main reason why I did not go for the TPMS drill was because the guy recommended me not to in case I wanted to sell my wheels later on down the road which is a big factor.
You don't have to drill a hole in the rim. The tpms connects to the valve stem
      11-15-2020, 05:50 AM   #16
njdangelo
Captain
Rep

Blank

Quote:
Quote:
Was this on stock wheels?
I have two sets, one stock, one aftermarket with my winter wheels