Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Catted downpipe without a tune?

11-10-2020, 09:41 AM   #1
lucasplagenza
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW m340i

Catted downpipe without a tune?

Hello everyone, so i'm not planning on tuning my car at all, but I am planning on an mpe and hopefully a downpipe. I'm aware that going catless without a tune is unhealthy for the engine and pretty pointless anyways without a tune, so my question is would it be safe to go with a catted downpipe (active autowerks) with everything else stock? My follow up question is would the AA downpipe be worth it in terms of sound, i'm not really looking for any power gains, just want the car to be a bit louder.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 10:49 AM   #2
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasplagenza View Post
Hello everyone, so i'm not planning on tuning my car at all, but I am planning on an mpe and hopefully a downpipe. I'm aware that going catless without a tune is unhealthy for the engine and pretty pointless anyways without a tune, so my question is would it be safe to go with a catted downpipe (active autowerks) with everything else stock? My follow up question is would the AA downpipe be worth it in terms of sound, i'm not really looking for any power gains, just want the car to be a bit louder.
You'll pick up about 15 HP - and the sound of a carted DP through the stock non MPE is really nice IMHO- much more authoritative you will no doubt the DP has been installed - that's my setup.

MPE muffler and stock DP has a nice deep tone vs the stock muffler - I've heard this in person

Carted DP through MPE muffler - I have no personal first hand experience. Could be glorious could potentially be a bit too much for some - I would be anxious to hear
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 10:52 AM   #3
lucasplagenza
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Quote:
You'll pick up about 15 HP - and the sound of a carted DP through the stock non MPE is really nice IMHO- much more authoritative you will no doubt the DP has been installed - that's my setup.

MPE muffler and stock DP has a nice deep tone vs the stock muffler - I've heard this in person

Carted DP through MPE muffler - I have no personal first hand experience. Could be glorious could potentially be a bit too much for some - I would be anxious to hear
do you have the AA downpipe? if so i'd love to hear some sound clips
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 10:58 AM   #4
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Quote:

do you have the AA downpipe? if so i'd love to hear some sound clips
Big fan of AA - great products great guys. But not available when I ordered mine, I have a CG-Precision DS1 (catted).

That said I also have an early build 2020 with an old rev of software - so it pops and bangs quite aggressively in sport and sport+ (quiets right down in comfort)

That said if you ever want to compare a 2020 catted DP through stock muffler vs 2021 stock with MPE in person - I am in Huntington Beach by the pier and can have the two cars here

Ps- I think I posted a video of my set on IG maybe here too let me see if i can find a link

**Edit** okay I found the post and bumped it - figured that was better than posting a another copy of the video

Last edited by chenry; 11-10-2020 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0