F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Am new to bmws and RWD cars
Extreme Powerhouse

11-06-2020, 09:54 AM   #1
Hazemtechno
A newbie RWD driver
Egypt
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i f30

Am new to bmws and RWD cars

Hey guys so i just got a 2015 335i and i have a couple of questions cause am a newbie and excuse me if any of the questions sounded dump i have 0 experience with fast cars or RWD
1/ drifting and donuts is it bad for the car ? And if so why ?
And can i drift a automatic 335i ? Am not taling about long drift am just saying can i get side ways in turns and will it be bad for the car ?
2/ tunning and mods , i have the n55 so i would like to know what safe mods i can do and what i should avoid its currently at 300 hp and i wanna get it up to 400 hp so what should i get ?
3/ i wanna get rims but most of the good brands are really expensive so what brands that do good quality rims and there prices are decent for a college student
Appreciate any help guys thank u
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-06-2020, 11:04 AM   #2
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

I'll respond in order of importance.

3. I had good luck with VMR wheels for price/quality on a non-track car. I currently have Velgens so I'm monitoring their performance right now.

2. You've got a lot of tuning options with that car but I'll let others with more experience on the N55 add specifics but 400 seems very attainable.

1.2 You can drift an auto if the traction control is off.
1.1 Drifting is hard on a car because your asking the engine to maintain sustained high rpms, there's impact stress on trasmission and differential components and of course accelerated tire wear. Obviously drifting can also wear your suspension bushings and rod ends, wheel bearings, pretty much anything downstream of the differential.

Also I've never known anyone that drifted regularly that didn't put their car into a curb or wall at least once. So there's that.

Another thing to keep in mind is typically you want to modify your suspension so you have a firmer ride so you will have more predictable weight transfer when you initiate a slide. It's also good to know the steering limitation on a stock steering rack vs one with a wider turning ratio so you can catch your slide at aggressive angles. This mod usually means you will need to play with front wheel wells so the tires have enough room to take advantage of the extra turn radius.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2020, 11:08 AM   #3
Hazemtechno
A newbie RWD driver
Egypt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
I'll respond in order of importance.

3. I had good luck with VMR wheels for price/quality on a non-track car. I currently have Velgens so I'm monitoring their performance right now.

2. You've got a lot of tuning options with that car but I'll let others with more experience on the N55 add specifics but 400 seems very attainable.

1.2 You can drift an auto if the traction control is off.
1.1 Drifting is hard on a car because your asking the engine to maintain sustained high rpms, there's impact stress on trasmission and differential components and of course accelerated tire wear. Obviously drifting can also wear your suspension bushings and rod ends, wheel bearings, pretty much anything downstream of the differential.

Also I've never known anyone that drifted regularly that didn't put their car into a curb or wall at least once. So there's that.

Another thing to keep in mind is typically you want to modify your suspension so you have a firmer ride so you will have more predictable weight transfer when you initiate a slide. It's also good to know the steering limitation on a stock steering rack vs one with a wider turning ratio so you can catch your slide at aggressive angles. This mod usually means you will need to play with front wheel wells so the tires have enough room to take advantage of the extra turn radius.
Thank u man I really appreciate the help i will keep it in mind and am not gonna do it regularly i just wanna try to play with it for a bit in an emptying parking so i just asked to know if its safe or i shouldnt be doin it
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #4
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazemtechno View Post
Thank u man I really appreciate the help i will keep it in mind and am not gonna do it regularly i just wanna try to play with it for a bit in an emptying parking so i just asked to know if its safe or i shouldnt be doin it
Three things on empty parking lots

1. Better on a rainy day
2. Watch out for light poles. They're easy to miss, (or not miss)
3. Cops can give you citations for various things if they roll up on your doing donuts in parking lot. I caught a criminal mischief charge in my teens for doing something similar.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 05:23 PM   #5
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i

From the way you describe yourself, zero experience with cars, zero experience driving fast. My advice is don't do it, chances are high of burying yourself into a tree like this guy:
Attached Images

11-06-2020, 05:25 PM   #6
Hazemtechno
A newbie RWD driver
Egypt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanity View Post
From the way you describe yourself, zero experience with cars, zero experience driving fast. My advice is don't do it, chances are high of burying yourself into a tree like this guy:
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 05:37 PM   #7
teelos
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i

BMWs ain't cheap to mod and always buy quality parts, pay to play
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2020, 06:05 PM   #8
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

1. Better on a rainy day
3. Cops can give you citations for various things if they roll up on your doing donuts in parking lot. I caught a criminal mischief charge in my teens for doing something similar.
Cops dont give a damn in egypt, different rules down there lol
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 06:10 PM   #9
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

N55-

Beware of snapping an axle doing donuts, very expensive to fix.

To get to 400 HP you'll need to go FBO stage 2, will get you close enough
Catless DP, BM3, Chargepipe, intercooler, CAI (if you want)
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 06:19 PM   #10
Hazemtechno
A newbie RWD driver
Egypt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidr3 View Post
Quote:

1. Better on a rainy day
Cops dont give a damn in egypt, different rules down there lol
True as long as u know someone in the force u can pretty much do whatever u want 😂
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 08:37 PM   #11
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazemtechno View Post
True as long as u know someone in the force u can pretty much do whatever u want 😂
You’re profile says location is Florida. What is your actual location?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 09:42 PM   #12
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
You’re profile says location is Florida. What is your actual location?
Profile flag is egypt, cars plates say egypt, he says egypt, soooo gonna go out on a leg here and say he is in egypt?

Drifting/burnouts/doughnuts isnt exactly "good" for your car. Puts everything under high load and stress.

The odd drift/burnout/doughnut isnt going to destroy the car providing you have a little mechanical sympathy (if you can have such when doing this? lol)

Best tip for learning, do it in the wet and keep the speed slow and area big. Dont just go round and round, learn to go from side to side. You get a better feeling for how the car transfers weight and it might just save your ass one day.

Increase the speed and then move to the dry and start over with low speed ect ect ect.

That said, you pay to play
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 11:06 PM   #13
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, 330i xdrive

Same as someone else said, you sound like you've got little to no experience with actually driving a car hard, let alone skillfully, you're going to be a youtube video star in a few weeks with a car you never should've bought. (Since it's really really unlikely you've had 3 to 400 hp front wheel drive cars prior)
Also it's unlikely you'll be getting any snow to practice sliding in, take it to a track or nice open empty parking lot. don't settle for doing donuts, settle for putting the car exactly where you want it when you want it.
I've drifted everything I've ever driven except my work rig (18 wheeler), wet grass and mud are super slick, but have next to zero predictable grip, so only good for playing.
Loose gravel over hardpacked dirt, good for getting a feel and you don't need to go crazy fast. Try a track and field track, 30 to 50 kph and just hold it out sideways around the curves.
Sand isn't ideal, it gets in to everything and could potentially lead to serious problems.
Snow is the best IMO, wet heavy snow on a mild day/night. If it's not too deep, you'll be on the pavement but still able to get sideways.
I can't get my 330i xdrive sideways on dry pavement yet, it's our only car and to get it sideways would mean doing a lot more speed sideways than I'd feel comfortable with.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 08:40 AM   #14
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Why don't you first get used to the car since you admit yourself having no experinace with a RWD.
Drifting is really only controllabel with a LSD. Without it is rather jerky and surpring, you will have to put the car under much more pressure. Then you sould add more camber at the front otherwise you don't have a enough grip.
      11-07-2020, 08:52 AM   #15
Hazemtechno
A newbie RWD driver
Egypt
Rep

Thanks for the tips i think i will just take it easy for a while on the car learn how to handle it first and if anyone got anything else to say that will help even if its harsh i dont mind the criticism thanks for ur help 🙏🏻
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 09:05 AM   #16
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
It might look funny and stock on youtube but usually these cars are modified:

https://drivetribe.com/p/5-essential...SK-xrPnd9XyKxw

300 HP are abolutely sufficient.
      11-09-2020, 01:10 PM   #17
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep

There's a turn circle down by Houston Hobby airport that when it rains becomes an involuntary drift circle for the first 20 minutes. I've had to opposite lock my Nissan pickup a dozen or so times around there.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 11:25 AM   #18
j2dad5389
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

For the wheels: VMR or Avante Garde. Excellent looking wheels and some good looking BMW Reps as well.

For 400hp: Bootmod3 Stage 2, charge pipe, FMIC, and a catless downpipe. Should get you close to 400, but most likely 380ish.

Donuts/Drifting: I'm not sure. I can't imagine it'd be good for your car, though.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 12:29 PM   #19
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2dad5389 View Post
Donuts/Drifting: I'm not sure. I can't imagine it'd be good for your car, though.
It's perfectly safe on snow...until you find a hidden curb or parking block....
      11-11-2020, 10:28 PM   #20
340i9114s
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i M sport, TH

This sounds like an accident waiting to happen

I think you should carefully learn how to drive your car before you even think of adding any mods.
Appreciate 0