F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Must-Do Performance Mods for $3k Budget
ARMA SPEED

11-05-2020, 06:51 PM   #1
BAKKI
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Must-Do Performance Mods for $3k Budget

Warranty on 440i just expired and looking to switch it up
I'm looking for the most cost-effective way to improve the driving experience & handling characteristics of the car.
Not too worried about aesthetics or maxing performance stats per se -- I just want to build a really fun car within a budget.
(disclaimer: I'm pretty new to this stuff so go easy on me)

Goals:
  1. A bit more power
  2. A bit more sound
  3. Sharper/sportier handling

I currently have:
- MT clutch stop ($10) -- perfect example of a cheap mod that really improved driving experience
Everything else is pretty much stock m-sport.

Upgrades I'm looking at:
Power/sound:
- CTS catted DP ($350) -- already have, got a sweet discount
- BM3 ($600)
- BMS intake ($170)

Handling:
- Light-weight 19s ($900)
- UHP tires, i.e. Firestone Indy 500s ($600) -- replacing my 18" run-shats
- B14 Coilovers ($1050) -- initially thought these were just for looks/stance. Doing some research clearly proved me wrong.
- H&R Sport Springs ($200) -- have heard mixed things about the handling impact for lowering springs in general

If I got everything I've been recommended I'd probably end up spending $5k+, which I sadly can't afford
Is there anything I've missed, and does my list make sense at all? I realize I can also probably knock down some of these prices by buying used / looking for Black Friday deals.

tldr; If you were given a stock 440i, $3000, and the goal of building the car that would put the biggest smile on your face, what would you do?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 07:22 PM   #2
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I'd say start with a downpipe and a tune like mhd or bm3. Especially since your a b58 as you can make great power with those 2 mods alone.
Appreciate 1
BAKKI18.50
      11-06-2020, 01:47 AM   #3
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Hope you have good fuel

I'd do:
Bootmod3
Downpipe
Exhaust

Skip intake. Higher IAt and no power. Skip everything else.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2020, 08:32 AM   #4
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

I would do something to take advantage of the current setup on your car. Something like autocross (very fun and safe) or track days (also very fun but less safe). Autocross is much less expensive than track days. I very much doubt you are currently able to experience the full capabilities of your car unless you are having fun at autocross or track days. Once you find your car's limits (and yours) you will have a better idea of where to spend your money.
Appreciate 2
Skyhigh1889.50
      11-06-2020, 08:39 AM   #5
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Hope you have good fuel

I'd do:
Bootmod3
Downpipe
Exhaust

I tend to agree with the upper recommendation, although I would generalise it a bit and put it in a different (reverse) order:
- Exhaust
- Downpipe
- Tune (Stage 1 or Stage 2)

Skip intake. Only placebo benefits and plenty of potential disadvantages.

This said, I wouldn't call any of the above a "must-do". I for one have not yet done all 3. However the 440i is really really begging for a less-modest exhaust. That's why I'd start there.
      11-06-2020, 11:44 AM   #6
BAKKI
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
I tend to agree with the upper recommendation, although I would generalise it a bit and put it in a different (reverse) order:
- Exhaust
- Downpipe
- Tune (Stage 1 or Stage 2)

Skip intake. Only placebo benefits and plenty of potential disadvantages.

This said, I wouldn't call any of the above a "must-do". I for one have not yet done all 3. However the 440i is really really begging for a less-modest exhaust. That's why I'd start there.
Thanks for the rec! I was originally thinking of getting an AWE axleback to pair with the DP+tune. From what I've seen on Youtube that combo sounds amazing.

But I've also heard that axlebacks don't really improve performance, so it'd mainly just be for sound. I'm wondering if that $1200 might be better spent on a set of coilovers that have a real impact on handling. I don't need something crazy loud either -- maybe I'll see how I feel about just a DP and tune first?

All that said, the metric I'm looking to maximize is fun/$$$, and if that happens to be putting my budget into exhaust note then so be it
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 11:48 AM   #7
BAKKI
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Hope you have good fuel

I'd do:
Bootmod3
Downpipe
Exhaust

Live in CA so only got 91

Am I still safe to go stage2+DP or should I dial it back?
Appreciate 1
FastF30521.00
      11-06-2020, 11:57 AM   #8
BAKKI
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
I would do something to take advantage of the current setup on your car. Something like autocross (very fun and safe) or track days (also very fun but less safe). Autocross is much less expensive than track days. I very much doubt you are currently able to experience the full capabilities of your car unless you are having fun at autocross or track days. Once you find your car's limits (and yours) you will have a better idea of where to spend your money.
Good advice. I really need to try tracking/slalom one of these days. Or at least hit the canyons more often.
But even as a DD I think I'm craving a little more exhilaration -- the f30 is a great car but currently feels a little subdued. Maybe because I'm coming from a '98 Z3 (way slower but so much fun)
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 01:16 PM   #9
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKKI View Post
Thanks for the rec! I was originally thinking of getting an AWE axleback to pair with the DP+tune. From what I've seen on Youtube that combo sounds amazing.

But I've also heard that axlebacks don't really improve performance, so it'd mainly just be for sound. I'm wondering if that $1200 might be better spent on a set of coilovers that have a real impact on handling. I don't need something crazy loud either -- maybe I'll see how I feel about just a DP and tune first?

All that said, the metric I'm looking to maximize is fun/$$$, and if that happens to be putting my budget into exhaust note then so be it
To be fair, if you prioritise quality, the 3K will not be sufficient for too many mods. If you are considering catted DP, a good quality one will set you back min 1000-1500. A quality cat-back exhaust (Remus, Akrapovic, etc.) is 2000-ish ..... You get my point.

Either way, my advice would be - do less, but do them right!! Especially if you intend to keep and enjoy your vehicle for longer. Louder is not necessarily better/nicer.

P.s. sound is fun! Especially if you respect the thin borderline between "sound" and "noise", which many unfortunately do not comprehend.
      11-06-2020, 02:11 PM   #10
bellguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 440I M sport

Quote:
To be fair, if you prioritise quality, the 3K will not be sufficient for too many mods. If you are considering catted DP, a good quality one will set you back min 1000-1500. A quality cat-back exhaust (Remus, Akrapovic, etc.) is 2000-ish ..... You get my point.

Either way, my advice would be - do less, but do them right!! Especially if you intend to keep and enjoy your vehicle for longer. Louder is not necessarily better/nicer.

P.s. sound is fun! Especially if you respect the thin borderline between "sound" and "noise", which many unfortunately do not comprehend.
100% agree on all this.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 02:31 PM   #11
mdchris
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi

Just get a muffler shop to peel open your stock muffler and weld shut the perforated sections, then close it back up and reinstall on the car. Exhaust sounds way better and will cost a fraction of buying a replacement axle-back system that ultimately just does the same thing.

I have an MHD tune on mine and really like it, and it's cheaper than BM3.

If you like to hear your turbo spooling and blowing off then get an aftermarket intake. No there is no performance improvement, but the sound is pretty fun.

I do think 19" rims look better but if you already like the look of your 18s don't go replacing the rims just to save a couple pounds. The chances you will be able to tell the difference driving it are pretty much zero.

What effect on handling are you looking for? For street driving nothing is going to make a bigger improvement than putting good tires on the car.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2020, 02:44 PM   #12
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
Agree 100%. Upgrade the driver before you upgrade the car. Being able to fully "uncork" the car in a responsible and safe environment is pretty eye opening.

The ONLY thing I would do immediately on the OP's list is to change the tires. The sooner you get rid of the run flats, the happier you'll be.
      11-06-2020, 02:53 PM   #13
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640 IX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
Agree 100%. Upgrade the driver before you upgrade the car. Being able to fully "uncork" the car in a responsible and safe environment is pretty eye opening.

The ONLY thing I would do immediately on the OP's list is to change the tires. The sooner you get rid of the run flats, the happier you'll be.
I have a 440IX and totally agree changing tires is the single best thing you can do. I got 235/45-18 in a softer non runflat compound and it made more of a difference than adding the MPPSK Performance Kit from the factory which I also recommend but really pricey.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 03:18 PM   #14
BAKKI
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchris View Post
Just get a muffler shop to peel open your stock muffler and weld shut the perforated sections, then close it back up and reinstall on the car. Exhaust sounds way better and will cost a fraction of buying a replacement axle-back system that ultimately just does the same thing.

I have an MHD tune on mine and really like it, and it's cheaper than BM3.

If you like to hear your turbo spooling and blowing off then get an aftermarket intake. No there is no performance improvement, but the sound is pretty fun.

I do think 19" rims look better but if you already like the look of your 18s don't go replacing the rims just to save a couple pounds. The chances you will be able to tell the difference driving it are pretty much zero.

What effect on handling are you looking for? For street driving nothing is going to make a bigger improvement than putting good tires on the car.
Definitely looking to upgrade the tires ASAP. Currently looking at a square set of 255/35/19 Firestone Indy 500s for $600.

My goals for handling are:
- more responsive steering
- better road feedback

I don't care too much for ride quality -- in fact I'd rather have a harsher ride if it helps me achieve the above.

The reason I'm looking to upsize to 19s is precisely to improve road feedback at the expense of ride quality (I've heard going from RFTs to go-flats makes for a softer ride anyways.)
Weight-reduction wasn't my primary goal per se, but I found a great set of 20lb 19s for about $900 https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1750133. The new wheel/tire setup would shave ~9lb unsprung mass off each corner compared to my stock setup, which I figure I should notice at least a little bit.

Does my thinking make sense? Again, pretty new at this so happy to learn.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 03:24 PM   #15
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinebuilder View Post
I have a 440IX and totally agree changing tires is the single best thing you can do. I got 235/45-18 in a softer non runflat compound and it made more of a difference than adding the MPPSK Performance Kit from the factory which I also recommend but really pricey.
Could you elaborate? What benefits/improvements did you experience in comparison to run-flats?
      11-06-2020, 03:28 PM   #16
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchris View Post
Yeah, right! Just drill some random holes in the pipes and muffler - does the same thing. The whole gas flow and acoustics science is just fake news.
      11-06-2020, 07:57 PM   #17
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640 IX GT

Quote:
Could you elaborate? What benefits/improvements did you experience in comparison to run-flats?
I will try to explain. Run flats are fine if your area is prone to flats (dodgy areas of cities for example) but they are not performance tires. With my BMW 440iX I found that the 18" tire size is a good compromise between road holding and comfort for my area so I kept this size. The roads here are bumpy, crowned, poorly paved with potholes through dense wooded areas. I switched to softer sticky rubber and slightly wider tires to allow you to go at speed without being bumped around in an unsafe manner. Getting a stiffer suspension, thin side walled large wheels or more horsepower does not help. Really the roads I travel are better suited to a BMW M240 or a Subaru WRX due to their smaller overall size. A BMW 440 is really more suited to A and B roads like a GT and not the B and C roads I travel. I bought the BMW 440 as I wanted 4 wheel drive and a manual transmission. I looked at the BMW M240 but it was only available in rear wheel drive with a manual transmission. I prefer four wheel drive as its safer in black ice conditions we get in New England. Its much easier to spin out in a rear wheel drive car in icy conditions than a 4 wheel drive if you accelerate to fast.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 08:33 PM   #18
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Quote:
Live in CA so only got 91

Am I still safe to go stage2+DP or should I dial it back?
Don't you have E85 everywhere? Get a tune and some E85 and your all good to go...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 03:24 AM   #19
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I will try to explain. Run flats are fine if your area is prone to flats (dodgy areas of cities for example) but they are not performance tires. With my BMW 440iX I found that the 18" tire size is a good compromise between road holding and comfort for my area so I kept this size. The roads here are bumpy, crowned, poorly paved with potholes through dense wooded areas. I switched to softer sticky rubber and slightly wider tires to allow you to go at speed without being bumped around in an unsafe manner. Getting a stiffer suspension, thin side walled large wheels or more horsepower does not help. Really the roads I travel are better suited to a BMW M240 or a Subaru WRX due to their smaller overall size. A BMW 440 is really more suited to A and B roads like a GT and not the B and C roads I travel. I bought the BMW 440 as I wanted 4 wheel drive and a manual transmission. I looked at the BMW M240 but it was only available in rear wheel drive with a manual transmission. I prefer four wheel drive as its safer in black ice conditions we get in New England. Its much easier to spin out in a rear wheel drive car in icy conditions than a 4 wheel drive if you accelerate to fast.
This seems to be a very specific use-case scenario.... can't see how this would be sufficient to give a general advice that changing the tires would make a great difference to everyone. Besides that, note that the OP is after performance and fun, not comfort and stability, which is what seems to be your motivation.

Not that I don't believe you that non-RFTs are better (read it many times), but nothing of what you described seems to be applicable to the OP's query. I myself am considering prematurely getting rid of the RFTs next year, but I'd be mainly after improved performance and handling too and hopefully some less road-noise... luckily do not live in England either
      11-07-2020, 07:00 AM   #20
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This seems to be a very specific use-case scenario.... can't see how this would be sufficient to give a general advice that changing the tires would make a great difference to everyone. Besides that, note that the OP is after performance and fun, not comfort and stability, which is what seems to be your motivation.

Not that I don't believe you that non-RFTs are better (read it many times), but nothing of what you described seems to be applicable to the OP's query. I myself am considering prematurely getting rid of the RFTs next year, but I'd be mainly after improved performance and handling too and hopefully some less road-noise... luckily do not live in England either
Non-runflats make a big different in enjoyment of the ride. OP seems to be after improved enjoyment, so the tire recommendation seems spot on.

Like this thread and responses so far. Subscribing.

I second recommendations for tires, exhaust, chip
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 05:32 PM   #21
sulu17
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

I am interested in this too.
I have base 2016 340i with base suspension and wheels. I like the car but I think handling is too soft.

I was thinking about m sport performance suspension retrofitt.

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...kgUGFnZQ%3D%3D

Would this be good option?
Also there is option of getting springs with the package. Should I get them? would those make big difference?

Please help!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 05:45 PM   #22
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

Quote:
Warranty on 440i just expired and looking to switch it up
I'm looking for the most cost-effective way to improve the driving experience & handling characteristics of the car.
Not too worried about aesthetics or maxing performance stats per se -- I just want to build a really fun car within a budget.
(disclaimer: I'm pretty new to this stuff so go easy on me)

Goals:
  1. A bit more power
  2. A bit more sound
  3. Sharper/sportier handling

I currently have:
- MT clutch stop ($10) -- perfect example of a cheap mod that really improved driving experience
Everything else is pretty much stock m-sport.

Upgrades I'm looking at:
Power/sound:
- CTS catted DP ($350) -- already have, got a sweet discount
- BM3 ($600)
- BMS intake ($170)

Handling:
- Light-weight 19s ($900)
- UHP tires, i.e. Firestone Indy 500s ($600) -- replacing my 18" run-shats
- B14 Coilovers ($1050) -- initially thought these were just for looks/stance. Doing some research clearly proved me wrong.
- H&R Sport Springs ($200) -- have heard mixed things about the handling impact for lowering springs in general

If I got everything I've been recommended I'd probably end up spending $5k+, which I sadly can't afford
Is there anything I've missed, and does my list make sense at all? I realize I can also probably knock down some of these prices by buying used / looking for Black Friday deals.

tldr; If you were given a stock 440i, $3000, and the goal of building the car that would put the biggest smile on your face, what would you do?
For my 435i I did

wheels and tires $1800
bm3 $600 + extra maps for stage 2 $50
vrsf fmic $300 (lightly used)
vrsf dp $250
er charge pipe $350

That's $3350 but at stage 1 it's only $3050. I don't mind my full time m sport suspension so thats last for me.