E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > best way to go about replacing a single rod

11-03-2020, 02:36 AM   #1
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i

best way to go about replacing a single rod

Hey guys so I recently did my rod bearings, and if anyone saw my previous post you would know I messed them up, and gave myself rod knock. When I tore it down to see what I did wrong I noticed that one of the caps looked like it didn't seat correctly and therefore smushed all the tiny imperfections that make the cap sit completely flush (I know it's not sitting flush because of plasti gauge results). So my question is, how would you guys suggest to go about this problem ?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 07:10 PM   #2
woodex m.e.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyc0 View Post
Hey guys so I recently did my rod bearings, and if anyone saw my previous post you would know I messed them up, and gave myself rod knock. When I tore it down to see what I did wrong I noticed that one of the caps looked like it didn't seat correctly and therefore smushed all the tiny imperfections that make the cap sit completely flush (I know it's not sitting flush because of plasti gauge results). So my question is, how would you guys suggest to go about this problem ?

I'd just spend a little cash and get a full forged set. You're already in there and it's not a lot of money.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 07:12 PM   #3
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodex m.e. View Post
Quote:

I'd just spend a little cash and get a full forged set. You're already in there and it's not a lot of money.
Pretty sure all that stuff is forged anyway..right?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 07:16 PM   #4
woodex m.e.
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes it is, but they are not created equally. Same as a Porsche 911 and a VW Beetle are both cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 07:19 PM   #5
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes it is, but they are not created equally. Same as a Porsche 911 and a VW Beetle are both cars.
Maybe, but I'll only be making 500whp so I think I'll be okay. I was looking for tips for pulling the head and if it's worth leaving the engine the car. The oil pan and subframe are already off.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 07:26 PM   #6
woodex m.e.
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Maybe, but I'll only be making 500whp so I think I'll be okay. I was looking for tips for pulling the head and if it's worth leaving the engine the car. The oil pan and subframe are already off.
Well I've always been a fan of just pulling the engine to do any major work. It's so much less stressful and you do tend to do a better job during a rebuild. The amount of time extra it takes to do it in the car makes up for just removing it. Sometimes anyways. Everyone has their own cup of tea though. I have not had the head off on this car so I can't really help.

Also I just dynoed at 490 and I'm already itching to turn up the boost. It's hard to stop at one spot when there is so much more to be had.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 07:29 PM   #7
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Well I've always been a fan of just pulling the engine to do any major work. It's so much less stressful and you do tend to do a better job during a rebuild. The amount of time extra it takes to do it in the car makes up for just removing it. Sometimes anyways. Everyone has their own cup of tea though. I have not had the head off on this car so I can't really help.

Also I just dynoed at 490 and I'm already itching to turn up the boost. It's hard to stop at one spot when there is so much more to be had.
lol I know what you mean, I thought FBO was fun but I just put in rb twos, yet to drive it with them bc of my current problem sadly.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 07:11 AM   #8
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Your best bet is to pull the motor.
Appreciate 2
Tyc0147.00
feuer4275.50
      11-08-2020, 10:28 AM   #9
feuer