Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Any experience with the TEIN Street Advance Z coilovers?

10-28-2020, 01:24 AM   #1
pcube
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, G20 320i

Any experience with the TEIN Street Advance Z coilovers?

TEIN has a set of coils for the G20 at a pretty good price. Has anyone tried them?

https://tein.jp/srch/glb_search.php?...ine=0&lang=eng

My last experience with TEIN was more than a decade ago with my WRX. They were awesome, never had issues in the 5 years or so I had them with multiple track sessions but that set of coils was pretty much top of the line. The Street Advance Z series looks to be TEIN's budget range, so not sure if the quality will be comparable.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 09:34 PM   #2
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcube View Post
TEIN has a set of coils for the G20 at a pretty good price. Has anyone tried them?

https://tein.jp/srch/glb_search.php?...ine=0&lang=eng

My last experience with TEIN was more than a decade ago with my WRX. They were awesome, never had issues in the 5 years or so I had them with multiple track sessions but that set of coils was pretty much top of the line. The Street Advance Z series looks to be TEIN's budget range, so not sure if the quality will be comparable.

I've had them on my old Acura and replaced them. They were too soft and didn't provide the adjustment or capability I thought. I did replace them with another set of Teins, the Flex series.

In addition, on my old e36 M3, I had a set of Tein SuperStreet coilovers that I wasn't to happy with either.

With that said, my opinion is to go with a European suspension manufacturer or someone is reputable.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 06:55 AM   #3
pcube
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeMan View Post
I've had them on my old Acura and replaced them. They were too soft and didn't provide the adjustment or capability I thought. I did replace them with another set of Teins, the Flex series.

In addition, on my old e36 M3, I had a set of Tein SuperStreet coilovers that I wasn't to happy with either.

With that said, my opinion is to go with a European suspension manufacturer or someone is reputable.
Weren't you able to adjust the damping with the set on your Acura? I've seen some reviews on youtube saying that the stiffest setting is really stiff.

My more recent coilovers have been European brands so I'm familiar, just very curious about the TEIN set mainly because of the unbelievably low price point.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 11:38 PM   #4
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Weren't you able to adjust the damping with the set on your Acura? I've seen some reviews on youtube saying that the stiffest setting is really stiff.

My more recent coilovers have been European brands so I'm familiar, just very curious about the TEIN set mainly because of the unbelievably low price point.
You could adjust dampening but, it wasn't stiff enough and you could tell by the ride that minimal effort was made in the development.

Everyone is different, maybe you'll like them. Based on my past experiences with Tein, I would stay away from the cheaper offerings. The pricier stuff is really good, but then you get what you pay for.
Appreciate 1
pcube57.50
      11-03-2020, 11:33 PM   #5
pcube
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeMan View Post
You could adjust dampening but, it wasn't stiff enough and you could tell by the ride that minimal effort was made in the development.

Everyone is different, maybe you'll like them. Based on my past experiences with Tein, I would stay away from the cheaper offerings. The pricier stuff is really good, but then you get what you pay for.
Thanks for sharing. Sucks to think that an established and reputable company would produce crap, even if it is to meet demand at a lower price point.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 08:58 PM   #6
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. Sucks to think that an established and reputable company would produce crap, even if it is to meet demand at a lower price point.
Yeah, I get why and don’t really blame them. For most it’s adequate, I just have experience with better and can’t go back.
Appreciate 0