E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Could it be my HPFP?

10-21-2020, 11:46 AM   #1
SwedishWoodChopper
SwedishWoodChopper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i N54

Could it be my HPFP?

I have a 2008 335i E90 pretty stock for the most part, JB4 running backend flash mode map 2 (targeting 17psi, not the brightest move, but she takes it), MHD backend flash, VRSF DP's, tial bov, alpina B3 trans flash for my auto trans.

I've been noticing over the past few months when ever I open up on the highway to do a pull, my engine will start misfiring and sputtering like crazy, sometimes it'll even go into limp mode, I read the BMW codes via the JB4 dash readout and have pulled a "29DC" code "Cylinder Injection Cut Off, Fuel Level Too Low" which makes me think it's a flow issue, because this issue occurs even after I've filled up, full tank, 3/4 tank, 1/2 tank, she throws the same code.

I was able to run a 2sec interval log thru the JB4 interface, and noticed my high pressure fuel was slightly going down when I was doing a pull, the low pressure fuel log went down when high pressure went up, I assume from the high pressure side drawing in fuel, and then when the high pressure side went down, the low pressure fuel was on the high side of its pressure range.

Basically the low pressure fuel ran from 57-77psi, which everything I've seen on all the forums says is pretty normal, but the high pressure fuel dipped below is operation range close to the peak of the RPM's during that pull, meaning, when I got close to my top logged RPM during the pull, the high pressure fuel started shitting it's pants and then came back on, at one point it even reached 2,700psi, but when it dipped it was only putting out 1,200-1,350psi.

Basically, could this be my HPFP going? Or is it something else like injectors or the LPFP?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 12:05 PM   #2
trb1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

In for an answer. My HPFP seems to be doing the same thing with normal LPFP range. I'm running meth and 20 psi out of a 6062 though.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 02:26 PM   #3
stewbets
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi, '04 545i

Yeah, if you're seeing your rail pressure drop to 1200 PSI while your LPFP pressure is above 50 PSI, it's pretty safe to say your HPFP is on its last leg and needs replacement.
      10-21-2020, 03:01 PM   #4
SwedishWoodChopper
SwedishWoodChopper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbets View Post
Yeah, if you're seeing your rail pressure drop to 1200 PSI while your LPFP pressure is above 50 PSI, it's pretty safe to say your HPFP is on its last leg and needs replacement.
Yuckers, I just pulled the trigger on buying it, luckily FCP Euro has a sale going and they sent me a coupon a day or so ago. But ya, I was seeing less than 1500 on the rail. Thank you for the reply, I'll keep you both posted with the results as soon as I'm back up and running.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 03:05 PM   #5
SwedishWoodChopper
SwedishWoodChopper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trb1 View Post
In for an answer. My HPFP seems to be doing the same thing with normal LPFP range. I'm running meth and 20 psi out of a 6062 though.
It's the pits, I just ordered a new one from FCP Euro, so we'll see, but you must be having a sweet time with the 6062, I wanted to go twin MMP, or Vargas, but my buddy who has an 09 335i went thru 2 or 3 sets of Vargas twins, they were warrantied so he didn't shell out each time, but I saw that and heard about MMP's exploding and was like, uhhh.... yikes!!! Single turbo it is.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:16 PM   #6
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishWoodChopper View Post
Yuckers, I just pulled the trigger on buying it, luckily FCP Euro has a sale going and they sent me a coupon a day or so ago. But ya, I was seeing less than 1500 on the rail. Thank you for the reply, I'll keep you both posted with the results as soon as I'm back up and running.
I'm about to get the same kit lol
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:19 PM   #7
SwedishWoodChopper
SwedishWoodChopper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
Quote:
I'm about to get the same kit lol
Get it now, there's a 5% discount, plus you get 50$ back when you send in your core, not trying to sound like a sales rep, but it has a better aftertaste with a few bucks off.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:38 PM   #8
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Get it now, there's a 5% discount, plus you get 50$ back when you send in your core, not trying to sound like a sales rep, but it has a better aftertaste with a few bucks off.
Ya for sure, they've had the sale going for a few days now. Are you getting any sensors to go along with it?
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 08:02 AM   #9
trb1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Quote:
It's the pits, I just ordered a new one from FCP Euro, so we'll see, but you must be having a sweet time with the 6062, I wanted to go twin MMP, or Vargas, but my buddy who has an 09 335i went thru 2 or 3 sets of Vargas twins, they were warrantied so he didn't shell out each time, but I saw that and heard about MMP's exploding and was like, uhhh.... yikes!!! Single turbo it is.
Do yourself a favor and just buy a single turbo kit. less headaches in the long run. 6062 is a lot of fun. perfect size imo.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 10:39 AM   #10
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 10:56 AM   #11
SwedishWoodChopper
SwedishWoodChopper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
Quote:
I'm not trying to dump on either of those companies, I'm just expressing what I've seen and heard, my buddy got his first set of Vargas GC 2.0's and they came in with the waistgate actuators clocked wrong, then I think the compressor wheel either self detonated, or chewed up the compressor housing, probably not properly balanced, and then after that he ended up having no stop issues with the replacements, he swapped to a 6266 single kit
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 01:05 PM   #12
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
I'm not trying to dump on either of those companies, I'm just expressing what I've seen and heard, my buddy got his first set of Vargas GC 2.0's and they came in with the waistgate actuators clocked wrong, then I think the compressor wheel either self detonated, or chewed up the compressor housing, probably not properly balanced, and then after that he ended up having no stop issues with the replacements, he swapped to a 6266 single kit
I don't think I've seen any good reviews of Vargas turbos, all of them seem to say they are bag of unreliable crap. Doesn't surprise me.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 04:03 PM   #13
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Just had the same issue. It's your HPFP. Did you also get weird start up fluctuations. Also check to see what your rail pressure was at idle. Mine was skipping all over the place for a week before I had that same highway misfire trying to do a pull.
Appreciate 0