F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > DCT on the 2 series? vs xHP
proTUNING Freaks

10-14-2020, 05:40 AM   #1
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

DCT on the 2 series? vs xHP

does anyone know why the god awful new FWD 2 series gran coupe gets a DCT, yet for the new M cars they are going back to ZF?

when i drove an M4C vs my 440i pretty much the only standout thing for me was the amazing DCT.
i'm just surprised that they are putting a DCT in their lower models now and ZF's for the top?
or are ZF's with new software in the M cars every bit as quick as DCT's now?

and if that's the case..........if i remap mine with xHP can i really make it as quick as an M4's DCT? iv'e been struggling to find clear videos on youtube showing the effects of xHP.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 07:29 AM   #2
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

Where have you seen a 2 series with a DCT? From what I've seen they have an Aisin sourced 8 speed auto instead of the ZF.

xHP will improve the shift times and clamping force to make the ZF8 respond faster.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 07:56 AM   #3
drdino
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
218i gets the DCT:
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 08:54 AM   #4
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

well i found this in bmwblog https://www.bmwblog.com/2017/05/12/b...on-ukl-models/

All of BMW’s front-wheel drive-based models, under both the BMW and MINI brands, are based on what BMW calls the UKL architecture. This front-wheel drive-based architecture underpins everything from the BMW X1 and 2 Series Tourings to every MINI product. For the most part, the UKL platform has been highly successful for BMW, providing impressive performance and dynamics in spacious and affordable cars. So it seems that BMW has decided to give all UKL-based cars a bit of a boost with a new, seven-speed dual-clutch transmission.

Up until now, every UKL-based car has had either a six-speed or eight-speed torque-converter automatic transmission. Now, though, BMW is replacing those transmissions with a new dual-clutch unit that will provide a decrease in weight, faster shifts and increased fuel-economy. This new DCT will make its debut in the BMW X1 sDrive18i and the BMW X1 sDrive20i in Europe but could come ‘Stateside in the X1 xDrive28i and MINI products. Bigger engined vehicles will also get a Sport variant of the DCT, that comes with a sportier shift algorithm and paddle shifters. With a DCT, now BMW’s smaller cars compete better with Audi, who also uses a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic in all of its newer vehicles, such as the new A3 and Q2.

2016 bmw X1 xDrive28i test drive images 09 750x500

Getrag will be the one supplying the DCT for BMW, which replaces the Aisin-sourced automatics previously used. Although, Getrag will only be supplying BMW with transverse-engine vehicles, while longitudinal-engine vehicles, such as all rear-wheel drive-based BMWs, will continue to use ZF-sourced transmissions.

This is a good move by BMW, as it will help bring fuel economy up while also bringing emissions down, as a dual-clutch transmissions is easier for an engine to run than a heavy torque-converter auto. The EU is cracking down on CO2 emissions and BMW needs to do something to better its vehicles. While a DCT won’t make a massive difference, compared to a standard auto, every little bit helps. Plus, it will also increase performance and give the cars a sportier feel. The DCT will be available on all UKL-based BMWs and will be available on both front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive variants.

so...............why continue to use ZF in the RWD cars?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 09:42 AM   #5
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
The DCT may be only on the 218i which isn't available in the US. By the looks of things it is the only engine to get the DCT. I really doubt it's the same DCT found in the M cars.

For the US market both the consumer website and the corporate site with the press releases specifically mention the transmission paired to the 228 and the M235 will be an 8-speed automatic.

The end of the press release you posted gives a clue as to the Getrag vs ZF question. It's packaging. The Getrag unit being used is designed for a transverse engine and the ZF is designed for a longitudinal engine. The packaging of those gearboxes is different. Since the new FWD 2 series architecture and power train are borrowed from Mini, they probably use the same units as well.

To answer your performance question regarding the ZF, it is very good in it's G2X application. Last year I drove an M2 with the DCT and a G20 M340 back-to-back. The DCT in the M2 was a bit quicker and sharper when using the paddles, but only by a fraction.

At the same event I drove the X3M, which the BMW Corporate rep told me would have the same drivetrain as the M3/4. The X3M is brutally fast and the ZF shifted VERY quickly.

I'm sure the programming in the ZF found in the M cars will be different than more mundane cars in the BMW line, especially depending on which drive mode is selected. This is already the case with other customers who use the ZF 8 speed. That transmission used in Chrystler vehicles does not behave the same way as the same unit installed in a BMW.

Last edited by Desertnate; 10-15-2020 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
jmack548.50