F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 rear license plate vibration sound when trunk/boot is shut.
ARMA SPEED

10-13-2020, 01:43 PM   #1
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

F30 rear license plate vibration sound when trunk/boot is shut.

Wanted to inquire if anyone else noticed this. The trunk has a nice thump to it when it is being shut closed. However, I noticed the license plate on the trunk produces a sort of vibration like sound when trunk it slammed shut, almost like a hollow rattle that takes away from the nice thump. If I close my trunk while touching the plate, it sounds beautiful. I tried removing the license plate and tightening the plastic US holder bracket and that vibration sound is gone for a month or two, but over the course of driving seems to loosen itself and starts to make that sound again. Wondering if anyone found a way to make it sound more solid long term? I am considering retrofitting power boot so that will eliminate the high intensity thump vibration since the closing will almost become soft close, but until then this is the only complaint I have not been able to resolve. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 02:04 PM   #2
HarryTee
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4CP & 2017 440i GC

I think the problem should be very simply sorted by firmly securing the license plate, and only you or someone who can actually observe how the plate is currently held and think of a better way to secure it. I don't think anyone here on the net can work out the problem better than you can (because we can't see what you see). Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 02:18 PM   #3
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

They make little rubber/foam washers that go between plate and the holder, that will eliminate most of the vibration.
If the whole bracket is loose, try adding thread-locker to the holder bracket screws.
Appreciate 0