BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Will there be any US Marketing program for the CS?

10-11-2020, 11:04 AM   #1
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Will there be any US Marketing program for the CS?

This is one thing that has been pretty baffling to me overall with the CS - no advertising, no magazine reviews, no real training or dealer point of sale items, no configurator, nothing. Do we think there will be any magazine review cars eventually, or is this the silent car release in the US? The only thing they did was the initial website splash and one bit of car show stuff back in November last year, and then radio silence.

Thoughts?
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 1
2taCoS279.00
      10-11-2020, 11:46 AM   #2
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
This is one thing that has been pretty baffling to me overall with the CS - no advertising, no magazine reviews, no real training or dealer point of sale items, no configurator, nothing. Do we think there will be any magazine review cars eventually, or is this the silent car release in the US? The only thing they did was the initial website splash and one bit of car show stuff back in November last year, and then radio silence.

Thoughts?
I heard Oct/Nov for US reviews. A bummer in my opinion that most everyone had to commit to a purchase before knowing anything about the car. I would have loved a direct comparison between ccb and non ccb from a DD perspective. Feel, wet weather, noise, etc. Hope I made the right choice for me since car is in production. No ability to go back and change.
Appreciate 1
2taCoS279.00
      10-11-2020, 11:50 AM   #3
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I heard Oct/Nov for US reviews. A bummer in my opinion that most everyone had to commit to a purchase before knowing anything about the car. I would have loved a direct comparison between ccb and non ccb from a DD perspective. Feel, wet weather, noise, etc. Hope I made the right choice for me since car is in production. No ability to go back and change.
If you really have buyers remorse on it, just watch some of the junkyard stuff and buy a set of salvage parts and retro. Bet you can do the full thing for under 8K that way. Search car-part.com on the regular, or some of the other options around that. You won't have a lot of competition for those parts, and people WILL wreck out these cars in the first year.

I think the big thing that is interesting about the lack of marketing is just how many of my BMW and car enthusiast friends have NO idea the car exists at all, and when they find out about it get excited. Things like it finishing 3rd in the Top Gear speed week will certainly help it's "mystique" in the long term.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 12:03 PM   #4
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you really have buyers remorse on it, just watch some of the junkyard stuff and buy a set of salvage parts and retro. Bet you can do the full thing for under 8K that way. Search car-part.com on the regular, or some of the other options around that. You won't have a lot of competition for those parts, and people WILL wreck out these cars in the first year.

I think the big thing that is interesting about the lack of marketing is just how many of my BMW and car enthusiast friends have NO idea the car exists at all, and when they find out about it get excited. Things like it finishing 3rd in the Top Gear speed week will certainly help it's "mystique" in the long term.
Instructor at PDC didn't even know about the CS. Someone that day asked him if they were getting one and it was the first time he had heard anything. That really surprised me.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 12:16 PM   #5
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

IMO this will ultimately help the status of the CS when allot of people figure out how very good it is and where it stands in BMW line up now and in the future.

Its one year production in relatively "low" numbers, lack of advertising, not being on configurator etc.

Best play would be wait and pick one up for discount but for me have been thinking about getting back in/adding BMW to current garage line up and this checks allot of boxes for now and possibly future so will purchase new.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 12:28 PM   #6
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMD View Post
IMO this will ultimately help the status of the CS when allot of people figure out how very good it is and where it stands in BMW line up now and in the future.

Its one year production in relatively "low" numbers, lack of advertising, not being on configurator etc.

Best play would be wait and pick one up for discount but for me have been thinking about getting back in/adding BMW to current garage line up and this checks allot of boxes for now and possibly future so will purchase new.
I think you might be right. It's tough to say when the best time to jump in might be. Might have to settle on a particular spec. The military sales got the hot ticket. I think that shows how aggressive the discounts could get. On the flip side as soon as the US magazines start turning out reviews there could be a rush to get one.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 12:42 PM   #7
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

All depends what it is worth to you etc. Some people are paying 5K markup, a few cases even more. Everyone else outside of military right now are at MSRP. If you go into the M2C lease thread etc you'll see that the discounts have faded on those and it's less than 10% now (I think they were saying 5-8%). So I wouldn't expect the CS to see discount beyond that for the cars that remain. My dealer sat on their heritage for months, and weren't willing to go to 10% from what I know of what was happening there. So basically, those of us at MSRP are at worst "out" 8k when the cars depreciate, which is the same as optioning in the CCB's. So don't option those in, and the differential one year out is probably not that large.

My personal view on the situation - I want the car, I love what it is, and the difference in price between MSRP and some theoretical "optimal" discount that may or may not materialize is pretty trivial to the total cost of ownership. I had/have no interest in spending time or effort trying to save money on the purchase of this car. The fact that the price was effectively no haggle, sign and drive, was in fact a huge bonus in the purchase experience.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 01:14 PM   #8
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Haggling can really suck the enjoyment out of a purchase.
Appreciate 1
ChiTownM1045.50
      10-11-2020, 01:18 PM   #9
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
If you really want to save money, then be genuinely patient, wait 1-3 years for these to pop on the used market and grab one as they come up. Odds are it'll be less than MSRP. All the same argument - buy now pay MSRP. Buy in a few months, maybe pay 5% less. Buy in 1-3 years, pay some amount even less. Wait 5 years pay less. Wait 30 years, pay 200% more, wait that didn't work .
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 01:48 PM   #10
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Odds are it'll be less than MSRP.
Odd are better you'll have no idea how it was broken in and treated over the first couple years of life. I am OK buying used cars in the some situations, but not for something I plan to keep long term that has this level of abusability, for lack of a better word.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 01:51 PM   #11
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Odd are better you'll have no idea how it was broken in and treated over the first couple years of life. I am OK buying used cars in the some situations, but not for something I plan to keep long term that has this level of abusability, for lack of a better word.
Yep! Totally agree. I'm also OCD about the paint and so forth.

I was trying to illustrate the slippery slope of the argument. If you have the time and patience... every year is probably saving you money. But you are bringing up a good point about a different tradeoff of condition coming in to play potentially that is harder to weed back out.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2615.50
      10-11-2020, 02:59 PM   #12
thxbuff2001
Dictator for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: To many

Quote:

Thoughts?
They just dont care about the car. Its just 2000 pieces of another M. And there are alot of loosers going to buy it. :>
09 Ferrari SCUDERIA Rosso Corsa
23CayenneGTSCoupe
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 05:18 PM   #13
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Thoughts?
Better chances for those who know about its existence and want one, to get hold of one.
      10-11-2020, 05:24 PM   #14
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxbuff2001 View Post
And there are alot of loosers going to buy it.
Ah the irony.
Appreciate 2
Davil6332.00
nelsdvn229.00
      10-11-2020, 05:36 PM   #15
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
Ah the irony.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 08:13 PM   #16
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
We are all loosers as we aren't tight with our money.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 08:29 PM   #17
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
We are all loosers as we aren't tight with our money.
In my case in addition to other things
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 08:50 PM   #18
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Better chances for those who know about its existence and want one, to get hold of one.
In some grand artful conspiracy, this would certainly mean that the cars would end up in the hands of the "true" enthusiasts first instead of flippers and bandwagoners. Then you turn on the information late and whatever is left get picked up by whoever comes to the table late.

I work with marketers on luxury product, and I use to work with a senior marketing manager from BMW USA that came to our company... I can tell you BMW doesn't think that deeply in that respect
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 04:37 AM   #19
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
I work with marketers on luxury product, and I use to work with a senior marketing manager from BMW USA that came to our company... I can tell you BMW doesn't think that deeply in that respect
Call the luxury product item "Limited Deluxe Edition" or "Summer Only Edition" or something the like, even if only packaging changed. Eventually adopt a system requiring customers to enroll to be 'eligible' to get the product (while in reality no real selection is made). Refuse a part of them randomly saying that "unfortunately, due to high demand, all items of this exclusive edition are already spoken for. But we ensure that you are part of the 'priority privilege customers section' for our next exclusive edition". Eventually get the 'members' a fancy key hanger or lanyard which they preferably attach to their house keys (regularly showing off the brand). If the company is lucky enough that the hype for the brand really kicks in: allows the company to produce smaller (high quality) quantities selling at very profitible prices.

'Marketing 101' to get customers the feeling that (s)he's special, almost feel privileged / honoured to 'manage' to buy a commodity. Cf. the pick-up line: "You're no star - You're a universe !".

Back in 2015, Porsche US (PCNA) offered a right of first refusal to all those on the Porsche 918 Spyder VIP 'early access' program, allowing these privilege customers to secure a Cayman GT4 allocation ($84,600) ahead of the normal 'line' ("It is my pleasure to offer you, per your 918 Spyder VIP privileges, the opportunity to be among the first to acquire the new Cayman GT4."). PCNA offered them one week to decide and allocated the remaining US-allocated expected production to US dealers (source: here).

Porsche Cars North America - 2015:
      10-12-2020, 06:37 AM   #20
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Oh yeah, there are companies that do. It's an art form. I was just saying that from my conversations with him it certainly didn't sound like BMW did.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 08:23 AM   #21
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

As part of the 918 VIP program, 918 owners had first shot at all of the special cars (e.g., 911R), the GT4 being the least significant. This was one incentive PAG used to get pcar enthusiasts to buy a 918. 918 sales were slow-going at first, but we all know what happened to that market not long after they dried up. There are many Porsche enthusiasts who regret not buying one (it's been discussed on Rennlist ad nauseam) not only because 918 values sky-rocketed, but because of the many fruits produced by this right of first refusal privilege.
Appreciate 1
Artemis28911.50
      10-12-2020, 08:34 AM   #22
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
That's the best part! Father always said if the salesman isn't cursing your name when you drive away you left money on the table.

I genuinely love getting the best deal I can on a car. The hunt is a big facet of the car buying experience for me.

Everyone is different though, understanding what makes your experience a good one is all that really matters.
Appreciate 2
Bimmed Out1908.50
sdhotwn2127.00