F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Does anyone know what this is?
Extreme Powerhouse

10-10-2020, 04:04 AM   #1
Lycoris
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xDrive M Sport

Does anyone know what this is?

Hi everyone. I'm SUPER new to BMW. I just bought my first BMW. A used 2016 435i XDrive M Sport.
I opened the center console and found this. I attached photos of it to this thread. It looks like some kind of electronic attaches to it but I don't know what it could be. There's a button and you press it to release a layer of it to reveal some kind of port.
Does anyone know what it could be?
Thanks!
Jin
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 04:27 AM   #2
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Looks like a lip balm?

Joke aside - it is for a phone charger.

10-10-2020, 05:18 AM   #3
Lycoris
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Oh I guess that makes sense. It would have been awesome if the previous owner left whatever was plugged to it lol... I can't even use it now. Thanks for you reply!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #4
alistairk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MSport, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
Oh I guess that makes sense. It would have been awesome if the previous owner left whatever was plugged to it lol... I can't even use it now. Thanks for you reply!
In fairness to the previous owner, they did leave you everything. When you order the "phone cradle" you just got a blank template cover and then had to buy the specific cradle for your particular phone and snap it in place of the template cover.

Since phones change so frequently now, BMW couldn't keep up with making a cradle for each phone and the switch to wireless charging allowed them to change what they offered which is what the above poster showed.

You can get that part (pt number 84102449887) and replace the template you have in there currently relatively easily if you have plastic pry tools and a can-do attitude!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 09:37 PM   #5
Lycoris
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairk View Post
Quote:
In fairness to the previous owner, they did leave you everything. When you order the "phone cradle" you just got a blank template cover and then had to buy the specific cradle for your particular phone and snap it in place of the template cover.

Since phones change so frequently now, BMW couldn't keep up with making a cradle for each phone and the switch to wireless charging allowed them to change what they offered which is what the above poster showed.

You can get that part (pt number 84102449887) and replace the template you have in there currently relatively easily if you have plastic pry tools and a can-do attitude!
thank you! I will change it out so I can charge my phone haha. I'm sure there's some YouTube videos to help me out.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 09:38 PM   #6
Lycoris
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairk View Post
Quote:

do I order the part from a dealership? I couldn't find it on bmw website for Canada. I appreciate everyone's help. this forum is great!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 07:12 AM   #7
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Not 100% sure but this might be what you are looking for:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=03_4184