F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Upgrading headunit
GetBMWParts

10-09-2020, 01:46 AM   #1
Victor06
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Question Upgrading headunit

I have a 2014 328i with the basic screen (6.5in). I found someone who totaled their 2014 BMW 328i. They are selling the screen with navigation, headunit and control knob. Would I be able to upgrade my car and is it worth it? Or am I better of upgrading just the screen and getting a software with AppleCar play?

Thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 12:24 PM   #2
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Did you check his videos?
      10-11-2020, 05:16 PM   #3
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor06 View Post
I have a 2014 328i with the basic screen (6.5in). I found someone who totaled their 2014 BMW 328i. They are selling the screen with navigation, headunit and control knob. Would I be able to upgrade my car and is it worth it? Or am I better of upgrading just the screen and getting a software with AppleCar play?

Thank you in advance
I don't know your electronics expertise but 3 things:
1) there are many diy videos
2) those videos make things seem easier
3) coding is required

I don't know if the unit will work but as long as you can deal with these things, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 10:36 PM   #4
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Get an OEM head unit with Apple car play and touch screen.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 11:26 PM   #5
atanatos
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw 428i

Recently installed Apple car play. Love it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 11:37 PM   #6
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by atanatos View Post
Don't have connected drive, this is what I need.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 09:41 PM   #7
ggrcrash
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 x-drive

Almost anything is POSSIBLE, depending on how deep your pockets are... However not without a some issues...Does your car have connected drive might need a combox too. Some issues with coding (small) but still issues. If your car didn't come with NAV, you will need a separate GPS antenna and also a wifi one, depending on the year. Head unit has to be coded to your VIN...(can't use small programs like "Bimmercode" to do it either....I could be wrong on that...need to do a search.) But it CAN be done with computer programs. Might need a new harness, cable for USB in glovebox ect. If your car is HK or his was, either case speakers and amp might be also needed. Not really sure its worth the trouble, but it might be to you. You could always go apple carplay/androidauto box, a larger 8.8 factory screen and switch to the larger idrive button for cheaper and less hassle. The screen and the larger idrive button from a junkyard/crashed 3 series, but depending on your car, certain part numbers you can use, not others (screen can be coded with "Bimmer code" button is a straight swap depending on the year of your car... but carplay/androidauto box also have their little issues, but if you are not OCD, they shouldn't bother you too much. Unless of course you are getting a killer deal on the NBT EVO unit...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 09:47 PM   #8
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
What did you purchase to do this?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 09:49 PM   #9
atanatos
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidr3 View Post
Quote:
What did you purchase to do this?
I just bought this and installed it like what bimmertech offers. Fraction of the price but the exact same thing lol

C$ 336.66 42% Off | Carlinkit Carplay Wireless Decoder For BMW F01 F10 F12 F15 F16 F20 F22 F25 F26 F30 NBT System Android Auto/Mirrorlink/Airplay
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOdszM3
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 08:07 AM   #10
danohfx
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi

Head Unit replacement

Quote:
Hi, when you replaced your HU did you lose the features from the original unit ie;vehicle service/settings etc?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 05:37 PM   #11
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by danohfx View Post
Hi, when you replaced your HU did you lose the features from the original unit ie;vehicle service/settings etc?
If it's another OEM unit, it will work exactly the same. If you are removing the main radio unit, then you probably would lose your settings (don't quote me though). But you can back them up to a USB stick from the profiles menu and restore them again.

If it's an Android screen replacement, then you flip to the OEM, and it works like OEM, and then back to the Android side for the other apps like Android Auto and Carplay (Carplay is available on newer NBT versions).
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2022, 03:58 AM   #12
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

I bought an Eonon unit 2 years ago to replace my 6.5" display. I'm not that happy with it. I completely lost the stock function to disable my angel eyes.

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 04:44 PM   #13
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
I bought an Eonon unit 2 years ago to replace my 6.5" display. I'm not that happy with it. I completely lost the stock function to disable my angel eyes.
How so? Looking at their site it looks like they just sell those Chinese Android head units. I have one from Aliexpress, and you can toggle back to iDrive with the console buttons. Other than my car being old enough that audio needs to come through the aux input with it, looks/feels/smells OEM at that point. OEM used the digital input.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 04:31 AM   #14
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
How so? Looking at their site it looks like they just sell those Chinese Android head units. I have one from Aliexpress, and you can toggle back to iDrive with the console buttons. Other than my car being old enough that audio needs to come through the aux input with it, looks/feels/smells OEM at that point. OEM used the digital input.
It does have the OEM interface and the android side. On the OEM side, when you go under lighting to disable the DRL's (angel eyes) that function no longer works and I cannot turn off my angel eyes.

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 03:08 PM   #15
tardboi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Why would you want to do that??
Appreciate 1
Wires1645.50
      02-13-2022, 05:50 PM   #16
_iggnat_
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 420i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor06 View Post

Thank you
I have a 2014 F32 which had the Business Nav. I literally bought something off AliExpress and it's fucking brilliant. So it's the 8,8" screen (they also have the new 10" one) and it's basically a new unit, BUT you don't have to remove the old one. It's like having two infotainment systems and you switch between them by long pressing the menu button (or whatever shortcuts you may find). On the Aliexpress one i have full screen apple carplay and a lot of other shit I don't use and on the stock one i have the exact original things the car had before.

Pros: system moves quick, full screen wired AND wireless apple carplay, nice and bright, really good touch screen although i only use idrive controller

Cons: microphone is terrible as it is built in and you will have to explain this to all of your friends who are complaining about not hearing you properly; it does lower the audio quality by a bit but it's almost unpercievable after getting the built in equalizer settings right
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 04:46 AM   #17
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardboi View Post
Why would you want to do that??
To make the car less noticeable and for other reasons for night driving.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 06:13 AM   #18
WillLowe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by _iggnat_ View Post
I have a 2014 F32 which had the Business Nav. I literally bought something off AliExpress and it's fucking brilliant. So it's the 8,8" screen (they also have the new 10" one) and it's basically a new unit, BUT you don't have to remove the old one. It's like having two infotainment systems and you switch between them by long pressing the menu button (or whatever shortcuts you may find). On the Aliexpress one i have full screen apple carplay and a lot of other shit I don't use and on the stock one i have the exact original things the car had before.

Pros: system moves quick, full screen wired AND wireless apple carplay, nice and bright, really good touch screen although i only use idrive controller

Cons: microphone is terrible as it is built in and you will have to explain this to all of your friends who are complaining about not hearing you properly; it does lower the audio quality by a bit but it's almost unpercievable after getting the built in equalizer settings right

For the microphone issue go into the settings on the android screen and disable the change it to use the cars bluetooth instead of the android. It then uses the original car equipment for calls
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 07:28 AM   #19
_iggnat_
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 420i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillLowe View Post
Quote:

For the microphone issue go into the settings on the android screen and disable the change it to use the cars bluetooth instead of the android. It then uses the original car equipment for calls
Thank you! I never thought of that, I will try 😂 These are my first few posts on this platform although I have been using it for years. Such helpful people!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 07:30 AM   #20
WillLowe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 435d

From memory I think the code for settings on most units Is 1314
Appreciate 1
Wires1645.50
      02-16-2022, 05:33 PM   #21
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thank you! I never thought of that, I will try 😂 These are my first few posts on this platform although I have been using it for years. Such helpful people!
That gives you the best operation. Then the car is used for all bluetooth, and calls show up on the HUD if you have one.

Catch22 is you can no longer use wireless AA/wireless carplay after doing this since it needs to run through the android bluetooth module to work.

The workaround (which works a million times better anyways) is buy a AAWireless or Motorola MA-1 wireless USB dongle and plug into the head unit. You then pair your phone to that, and it looks like USB AA or carplay to the head unit. That works flawlessly.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 03:00 AM   #22
tangobretta
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D

Quote:

Hi, Would you send a link of the item you purchased please. Thanks,
Appreciate 0