F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Autocrossing 2014 328d
proTUNING Freaks

10-08-2020, 06:59 AM   #1
tenman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Autocrossing 2014 328d

All,

Since I've sold my E90 M3 and narrowed down to one car, I've been having the itch to do something fun with the daily for shits and giggles, 2014 328d Msport RWD. Looking for autocross advise. I plan to go out bare stock other than the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ I've replaced the runflats with. Maintenance is fully up to date (70k miles) and I think the factory M sport brakes will be sufficient for now.

Thanks!
Andy
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 07:53 AM   #2
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I've never driven a recent BMW 4-cyclinder diesel. What is the power band like RPM-wise?

I only ask because my previous diesel experience in older BMW's, VW's, Vauxhals/Opels, etc all had really short gearing and low RPM red-lines.

The SCCA Region I drive with has access to a massive parking lot and we have pretty long courses which occasionally get pretty fast by autocross standards. Most people still run the whole thing in second gear, but some of the cars with shorter gearing have been known to bounce off the rev limiter in places. In a low geared diesel you could find yourself either on the limiter a lot or having do more shifting which could cost you time.

Tire-wise you should be OK, but you'll be at a disadvantage to folks driving stickier summer or the 200 DOT tires which seem to be really popular in my region. I just run PS4S and I'm probably giving up 1~2 seconds to an equivalent driver on the 200 DOT tires.

I used to believe the car had a lot to do with success in Autocross and if you weren't in a Miata or a BRZ/FRS/86, you'd be at a disadvantage. Then I started looking a the top raw times at our event and saw the cars there were a MK7 GTI, an 86, C5 Z06, a hugely modified Mustang GT from two generations ago, and an E90 M3. Nothing in common there other than amazing drivers.
      10-14-2020, 09:05 AM   #3
tenman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
I've never driven a recent BMW 4-cyclinder diesel. What is the power band like RPM-wise?

I only ask because my previous diesel experience in older BMW's, VW's, Vauxhals/Opels, etc all had really short gearing and low RPM red-lines.

The SCCA Region I drive with has access to a massive parking lot and we have pretty long courses which occasionally get pretty fast by autocross standards. Most people still run the whole thing in second gear, but some of the cars with shorter gearing have been known to bounce off the rev limiter in places. In a low geared diesel you could find yourself either on the limiter a lot or having do more shifting which could cost you time.

Tire-wise you should be OK, but you'll be at a disadvantage to folks driving stickier summer or the 200 DOT tires which seem to be really popular in my region. I just run PS4S and I'm probably giving up 1~2 seconds to an equivalent driver on the 200 DOT tires.

I used to believe the car had a lot to do with success in Autocross and if you weren't in a Miata or a BRZ/FRS/86, you'd be at a disadvantage. Then I started looking a the top raw times at our event and saw the cars there were a MK7 GTI, an 86, C5 Z06, a hugely modified Mustang GT from two generations ago, and an E90 M3. Nothing in common there other than amazing drivers.
This is the info I found online: 255 foot-pounds of torque from 1250 to 4200 rpm. It's got pep but most on the low end. I've seen some others on here tracking the X drive diesel wagons, so figured I'd have no issues. I got the first event this weekend here in Charlotte.
Appreciate 0