BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

10-07-2020, 02:45 PM   #1
peeej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former E92 owner

Buy now or wait?

I have a question for everyone. Will you folks look to jump on this when it first releases or wait at least another year or so till they work out the kinks? I know usually newly introduced models have things they still have to refine
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 03:19 PM   #2
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

I started a thread on this topic almost a year ago and people chimed in. Check it out: https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1689059

In my case I'll probably wait to test drive the G80 Competition RWD in ~March and then once the AWD schedule is confirmed for next summer I'll place an order for an early AWD vehicle.

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      10-07-2020, 03:34 PM   #3
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C

as my current lease is up next March, the timing lines up for an order now so i half committed as of now (i.e. put in a deposit)

Even tho this is gonna be the first time I order a car without seeing it or testing it, I feel pretty confident about the product as most things you can think of are not brand new. The powertrain has been in F97/98 for a whole year now, ditto iDrive7 and G2X platform. If there are glitches with the drift analyzer, so be it

Also for a lease it's not gonna be a huge deal if there are some bugs unless you run into a lemon unit that's in the shop for weeks at a time.
      10-07-2020, 04:19 PM   #4
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

I am waiting because I want AWD and I want pricing to stabilize... I expect awd models to being hitting US dealers roughly a year from now and my instinct is there will be a few ppl who put in deposits for the first few awd models so my forecast is being able to get my hands on one reasonably discounted (>5% below invoice) is nov or dec 2021 delivery

My lease is actually up this dec 2020 and I have been playing around with some creative ideas to carry a year. So as much as I want an M3 might lease something else now and come back in 3 years for an M3 LCI 1.0 model
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 04:25 PM   #5
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I usually get one every year regardless but I know a lot use to get a little jaded when BMW would roll out "Comp" edition a year or so later. Everyone would be pissed who got the pre comp (or whatever upgrade) and the value would not be as strong for those. But now that BMW rolling out everything it seems up front I dont see why you would wait, unless you like to save a little money and dont feel you have to have it at the very beginning

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 05:01 PM   #6
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

I will wait for the AWD model but that’s it. I have one of the first produced F80’s and it’s been bullet proof so I have no reliability concerns, especially since the engine been out for quite a while in the X3M already.

If you hate the turbo lag in the S58 there could potentially be reason to wait for the rumored MHEV V2 implementation if you are buying and intend to keep the car for an extended period.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 07:20 PM   #7
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
I usually get one every year regardless but I know a lot use to get a little jaded when BMW would roll out "Comp" edition a year or so later. Everyone would be pissed who got the pre comp (or whatever upgrade) and the value would not be as strong for those. But now that BMW rolling out everything it seems up front I dont see why you would wait, unless you like to save a little money and dont feel you have to have it at the very beginning
Do you see any benefit to waiting for the xDrive? I know it will be quicker off the line and may handle better but I am no stoplight warrior. . I won't drive my car in the winter much at all and especially in bad weather because I own a couple of X5's.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10715.00
      10-07-2020, 07:47 PM   #8
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndi335I View Post
Do you see any benefit to waiting for the xDrive? I know it will be quicker off the line and may handle better but I am no stoplight warrior. . I won't drive my car in the winter much at all and especially in bad weather because I own a couple of X5's.
I will get AWD this time for the first time in a non SUV. Mainly because I’m looking forward to the earlier and harder acceleration out of corners. Fast or slow corner, street, track, wet or dry it will make a big difference and I think it’s going to be a hoot .

And in the unlikely event I feel like trashing my tires with drifts there’s an RWD mode for that...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 08:57 PM   #9
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
Buying when AWD is available to spec out. Hopefully by then could even do performance delivery. My current lease is up sept 2021. Seems like it should line up perfectly.

--
Owner of a 2022 M3 Competition AWD in Individual Voodoo Blue and Fiona Red leather
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 10:09 PM   #10
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
thats a good question. You look at the x drive vehicles on the various models now. For us most dont order the x drive bc there really isn't a need for it, its more for winter type conditions or more traction based situations etc.. . Now you get the M peeps they look at the x drive for a performance view so I think it would be more appealing to that demographic. if I had to guess (just a guess since we really have not seen much data between the two yet in real world conditions) the x would be more popular but I would imagine dealers in my region would prob sell more non x models but x models could be more popular where more x units are sold more now with other models.

its hard to not get skewed when it comes to trends when you are on the forum. The forum community is SOOO much more knowledgeable and in tuned with stuff then the general population. Shoot I learned so much from the peeps on here over the past decade, really is a amazing community. However the forum although large is very very small compared to the normal buying population.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 11:15 PM   #11
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
Quote:
thats a good question. You look at the x drive vehicles on the various models now. For us most dont order the x drive bc there really isn't a need for it, its more for winter type conditions or more traction based situations etc.. . Now you get the M peeps they look at the x drive for a performance view so I think it would be more appealing to that demographic. if I had to guess (just a guess since we really have not seen much data between the two yet in real world conditions) the x would be more popular but I would imagine dealers in my region would prob sell more non x models but x models could be more popular where more x units are sold more now with other models.

its hard to not get skewed when it comes to trends when you are on the forum. The forum community is SOOO much more knowledgeable and in tuned with stuff then the general population. Shoot I learned so much from the peeps on here over the past decade, really is a amazing community. However the forum although large is very very small compared to the normal buying population.
Thats true, I live in Virginia and I am sure dealers will sell more xdrives due to our unpredictable weather. Also performance wise i am sure that will be a decision factor.
04 BMW X5
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10715.00
      10-07-2020, 11:18 PM   #12
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Quote:
I will get AWD this time for the first time in a non SUV. Mainly because I'm looking forward to the earlier and harder acceleration out of corners. Fast or slow corner, street, track, wet or dry it will make a big difference and I think it's going to be a hoot .

And in the unlikely event I feel like trashing my tires with drifts there's an RWD mode for that...
True.. this makes me feel I may miss out on exactly what you are saying and I may regret checking the xDrive box.
04 BMW X5
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 12:57 PM   #13
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Quote:
Thats true, I live in Virginia and I am sure dealers will sell more xdrives due to our unpredictable weather. Also performance wise i am sure that will be a decision factor.
Im in this dilemma myself where Im thinking about xdrive for weather reasons. the car comes with sport 4s tires though which means id have to buy a set of winter tires even with xdrive and if im buying a set of winter tires anyway rwd would be fine lol I have an M240i xdrive now and got caught in a snowstorm or two with my MPSS tires and it was absolutely terrifying. Xdrive cannot save you when you have zero traction haha Its probably gonna come down to the additional cost of xdrive...if its 3k or less id go for it but i wouldnt be surprised if it was like 5k
Appreciate 1
JDUNITNOW3453.00
      10-09-2020, 02:14 PM   #14
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkap27 View Post
Quote:
Im in this dilemma myself where Im thinking about xdrive for weather reasons. the car comes with sport 4s tires though which means id have to buy a set of winter tires even with xdrive and if im buying a set of winter tires anyway rwd would be fine lol I have an M240i xdrive now and got caught in a snowstorm or two with my MPSS tires and it was absolutely terrifying. Xdrive cannot save you when you have zero traction haha Its probably gonna come down to the additional cost of xdrive...if its 3k or less id go for it but i wouldnt be surprised if it was like 5k
I imagine the AWDs will have an option to come from the factory with All Seasons on them. I'll probably still augment those with a set of proper winter tires though.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 02:18 PM   #15
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

I think I might get it now - my lease is up literally almost the exact time, 1-2 months apart from release or I can wait until summer.

Problem is we won't get much in ways of deals, so I'd expect my 950/month for loaded 18 comp lease to jump to the 1200 range, which is ok, but it would suck in 2 years when people are paying 950-1000 again.

That said, the alternative is keeping my f80 but then I'm opening myself up to trade in values and may end up losing more $ in the long term.. although mine only has 8500 miles and I don't imagine I'd add a ton in another year.
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 02:54 PM   #16
Beerflakes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2021 M550i (soon)

I've received a couple decent deals on HEA models, but am probably waiting a bit until I can order exactly what I want. That may or may not include AWD.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 02:56 PM   #17
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
I imagine the AWDs will have an option to come from the factory with All Seasons on them. I'll probably still augment those with a set of proper winter tires though.
Yea I'm trying to find that out... that would be a nice option to have
Although strictly performance wise I would think the rwd with summer tires is going to outperform the awd on all seasons in all situations except for the drag strip. Im not sure what all seasons they would even use...the Michelin a/s 4's won't fit the front wheel. I dont drive in snow all that much so that extra $$$ for the awd would probably be overkill for strictly weather reasons but maybe the performance gains will swing me...I kind of get the impression that they're underrating the performance specs a bit on the rwd models to get people to hold out for the awd model.

Also im pretty sure the drift mode in the awd car is going to give you zero traction assistance which im sure most people will love but you lose out on the option to go rwd with a variable amount of traction control. In a lot of ways it feels like paying extra to knock down the 0-60 time a bit to me but maybe thats just me if you do a lot of snow driving id definitely go awd + snow tires. Also if you have an obnoxious tesla fanboy friend with a model 3 performance id go awd too haha I wonder how the quarter miles will compare

Last edited by jkap27; 10-09-2020 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 07:06 PM   #18
m3ct
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition xDrive Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeej View Post
I have a question for everyone. Will you folks look to jump on this when it first releases or wait at least another year or so till they work out the kinks? I know usually newly introduced models have things they still have to refine
My 2015 f80 was one of the first deliveries in the area in early summer 2014, and never had a single issue with the car in my 6 years of ownership. There will be always be new tweaks and upgrades every year, so i never regretted being an early adopter over waiting an extra year for cooler looking tail lights or whatever. To each is their own!
Appreciate 1
peeej58.00
      10-17-2020, 02:49 PM   #19
khanyam4
Ring Leader of G8X Trolls
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: NA

If money is not an issue enjoy it now. I'm personally a fan of lci cars whether money is an issue or not.
Appreciate 1
JCZ51482.50
      10-17-2020, 09:37 PM   #20
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

I never wait and have never regretted it. I also get the itch and want the new shiny thing. I admittedly have no patience and my lease is up. I've never wanted the comp model which could have delayed a purchase in the past, but this time it seems to be the logical choice and its available from the start. I have a Jeep as a second vehicle so I'm not worried about the AWD variant. And have there ever really been significant "kinks" worked out in the first year that they've changed that much for the second year model? LCI maybe, but not that much for year 2.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 06:25 AM   #21
Belugs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i, 2012 528i

Garage List
If ur lease is up, why wait? I guess u have to ask yourself, is the AWD and whatever other minor kinks that need to be straightened out worth waiting a year? I would go for it!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 08:58 AM   #22
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-SP0RT View Post
I started a thread on this topic almost a year ago and people chimed in. Check it out: https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1689059

In my case I'll probably wait to test drive the G80 Competition RWD in ~March and then once the AWD schedule is confirmed for next summer I'll place an order for an early AWD vehicle.
I will wait for the AWD M3C . I love my current m340 xdrive. It would not be a track car so not terribly interested in weight, would be my daily driver. The idea of getting a car similar to mine but faster and sharper handling, also more upscale interior is attractive. Dark over dark will help understate the grill
Appreciate 0