BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 vs GLS 450

10-05-2020, 11:10 PM   #1
Karrint
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 4.8is

X7 vs GLS 450

I know this is not a new discussion, but would like more opinions and comparison of these two vehicles (2020/21 models). I've driven both multiple times, and was most keenly aware of the differences when I did so immediately back to back. Initially thought I preferred the Benz, but that back to back experience swayed me to the BMW. Definitely a more connected/sporty and fun feeling driving the BMW, Mercedes was more of a luxury ride. I felt the size of the Benz more. I found the quality of interior materials was higher on the BMW. BMW also offers more choices for interior colors. MBUX was interesting, and I really liked the augmented reality for the nav, but I would need more time with it to learn how to really use it (coming from years of idrive). Benz is definitely sophisticated and offers a bit more interior space. I really wish you could option out those cheap plastic bits over the wheel wells on the 450. Nice car, but didn't feel it earned its "S." Both cars have pros and cons. I know this is a BMW forum and so views may be biased in that direction, but for those of you who have touched and driven both I'd welcome your honest input.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 11:38 PM   #2
ducatiti
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

I've test driven both. X7 felt more agile, to include the sound it made when accelerating. In terms of looks, I only like the rear design / tail lights of the GLS but that's about it. If the X7 had the MBUX, this comparison would be a landslide
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 07:17 AM   #3
malba2366
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3, X7

I felt the x7 drove better, the Mercedes has more cargo space/third row is marginally better for taller people (wasn’t really a concern for me as my family is not very tall). I prefer the bmw interior especially the third row sunroof which makes it a much better place to sit. The MBUX looks nicer and the augmented nav is a cool feature, but I prefer the BMW system for being easier to use and less distracting while driving. Additionally there will be a big actual price difference because there are big incentives/discounts on The X7 right now the GLS the best I could get is 3% off because it is still very new.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 10:33 AM   #4
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

I owned three MB SUV's, a GL 550, and two GLS 550's. I also tested the new GLS 450 (after trading our GLS 550 on MY19 BMW X7 50i) and feel we made the right choice. The MB GLS is a very nice SUV but lacks in a few areas. The interior is not as attractive as the X7 (IMO), the GLS doesn't support wireless CarPlay and displays CarPlay only on 2/3 of the 12.3" screen. The touchpad in the GLS isn't as easy to use as the X7 scroll wheel while driving. The augmented reality feature is nice but I prefer Waze via CarPlay so I know what's up ahead. The second row of the GLS with captains seats has the cup holders up higher compared to the X7 with captains seats where the cup holder is on the floor. The GLS gets my vote in this design. And the GLS has more space behind the third row which is a plus as well. But overall the GLS is kind of boring looking IMO. But either SUV will be a great vehicle so go with your gut and don't worry what others say. It's your cash.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 11:38 AM   #5
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

I had two 2020 GLS450's on order before I ordered my X7. Spent a decent amount of time testing both. X7 had better driving feel but MB soaked up the bumps a bit better. Interior material quality was higher in the X7 than GLS.
We originally ordered GLS450 from two dealers due to it having more space behind the 3rd row, but after months of delays and absolutely no communications from MBUSA or the dealers, we decided to order an X7. While the X7 was also delayed by COVID related factory shutdown, it actually arrived at the dealer earlier than either MB (which was ordered 6+ months before the X7 was ordered). I feel you get more for the $$ on the X7 as you can equip it with more options for less $ than the GLS450.
We have no regrets getting the X7 over the GLS.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      10-06-2020, 01:43 PM   #6
Karrint
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
I had two 2020 GLS450's on order before I ordered my X7. Spent a decent amount of time testing both. X7 had better driving feel but MB soaked up the bumps a bit better. Interior material quality was higher in the X7 than GLS.
We originally ordered GLS450 from two dealers due to it having more space behind the 3rd row, but after months of delays and absolutely no communications from MBUSA or the dealers, we decided to order an X7. While the X7 was also delayed by COVID related factory shutdown, it actually arrived at the dealer earlier than either MB (which was ordered 6+ months before the X7 was ordered). I feel you get more for the $$ on the X7 as you can equip it with more options for less $ than the GLS450.
We have no regrets getting the X7 over the GLS.
I had a similar negative experience with MB. I originally ordered a GLS back in March, supposed to be delivered in June. I followed up in May and they informed me it had been pushed back to late August due to factory closures as a result of COVID. Totally understandable. What really upset me, however, is that MB then went on to cancel all 2020 orders. Ok fine, except—and a big EXECPT—nobody from MB or the dealership I ordered from contacted me to alert me. I didn't find out until I reached out to check my order status in mid August, and it took 4 days for my salesman to even respond to my inquiry. Very poor customer service, IMO. He said they could order a 2021 and tried to talk it up into how this actually would be a better car and better deal for me, but I have to admit the whole thing turned me off. That's what made me go revisit the X7.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 03:34 PM   #7
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrint View Post
I had a similar negative experience with MB. I originally ordered a GLS back in March, supposed to be delivered in June. I followed up in May and they informed me it had been pushed back to late August due to factory closures as a result of COVID. Totally understandable. What really upset me, however, is that MB then went on to cancel all 2020 orders. Ok fine, except—and a big EXECPT—nobody from MB or the dealership I ordered from contacted me to alert me. I didn't find out until I reached out to check my order status in mid August, and it took 4 days for my salesman to even respond to my inquiry. Very poor customer service, IMO. He said they could order a 2021 and tried to talk it up into how this actually would be a better car and better deal for me, but I have to admit the whole thing turned me off. That's what made me go revisit the X7.
If you look at the mb forums, there are still a good # of folks with orders for 2020 GLS and GLE that haven't been built or delivered and have no status updates. MB seems to be still having supplier issues.

The slightly larger size of the GLS was what we were looking for, but we had enough with the non communication and constant delays.

We're happy with the X7. Still wish there was 2-3 inches more space behind the 3rd row so we could fit a cooler behind it. But we'll make do.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 04:10 PM   #8
Karrint
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrint View Post
If you look at the mb forums, there are still a good # of folks with orders for 2020 GLS and GLE that haven't been built or delivered and have no status updates. MB seems to be still having supplier issues.

The slightly larger size of the GLS was what we were looking for, but we had enough with the non communication and constant delays.

We're happy with the X7. Still wish there was 2-3 inches more space behind the 3rd row so we could fit a cooler behind it. But we'll make do.
I feel for those still waiting. I don't know what will happen to their 2020 build if it was already underway when factories closed, but I do know that all 2020 builds still in queue were completely cancelled. Those affected by this will need to submit a totally new order. I'm very understanding of the situation as it's due to pandemic and beyond control, but the lack of communication and transparency is a completely different matter. When my salesperson finally did return my call and told me all orders had been cancelled early in the summer, he also said something to the effect of "oh, you didn't get the email we sent out regarding that?" 🙄 ...Yeah sure there was an email. If this is any indication of MB customer service I think I'll be extra glad I stuck with BMW—been driving them for many years now, and overall have been very happy. Hopefully the X7 will not disappoint.
Appreciate 0