F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Had a pub lunch and this happens.....
ARMA SPEED

09-25-2020, 12:43 PM   #1
john lummis
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D Xdrive M Sport

Had a pub lunch and this happens.....

This afternoon my mate treated me to a pub lunch, we were half way through the main course when the landlady came up and asked ' Do you have a grey BMW ?' , I said ' yes' , she said ' someone's just hit it '.

The car park was virtually empty, the pub had only been open 15 minutes when we arrived and I had parked well out of the way of every other car as always.

well, it turned out that a big Izuzu Trooper was manoevreing around my car just as her 12 month old boy decided to have a screaming tantrum in the back of the trooper .

Instead of stopping, she carried on and decided to look over her shoulder at the child and hit my car.

She didn't drive off but came in the pub and told the Landlady ( who had seen her do it anyway) and then waited until I went outside, all details exchanged and she was very apologetic, she even had the insurance certificate with her so that was convenient.

so, in 4 hours , I visited Williams BMW at Rochdale, spoke to the assessor, took photo's, then spoke to Williams's claim handlers who are going to deal with her insurance company for me, When it goes in I will get a courtesy car for the duration of the repair and it's not going to cost me a penny.

The lunch was fantastic by the way .
Attached Images

Last edited by john lummis; 09-25-2020 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 12:51 PM   #2
john lummis
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

why does the pictures turn like that, they are not like that in my photo file, it's annoying
      09-25-2020, 12:54 PM   #3
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

You do realise that when you declare a 'no fault' collision when you renew your insurance, they will put up the premium. It happened to my daughter. When we queries it they said that statistics show that those who have 'no fault' collisions are more likely to have another, hence they are higher risk.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      09-25-2020, 12:55 PM   #4
john lummis
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

I've not informed my insurance for that reason , it's just going through hers dealing with the repairers
      09-25-2020, 12:59 PM   #5
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by john lummis View Post
I've not informed my insurance for that reason , it's just going through hers dealing with the repairers
Your insurance company will be notified and it'll be logged against your vehicle on the motor insurance database I think.

When it comes to renewal time, it'll be a standard check and will come up as a non- fault claim, even if not through your insurer.

Don't think you can avoid it.

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 01:02 PM   #6
Fez_7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Sorry to hear John. I always try to park out the way too but for some reason you will always get someone parking or manoeuvring right next to you

Hope it all gets fully sorted. At least you managed to get hold of their details etc. It reminds me of the time I came back to my car in a retail park to find my headlight smashed and bumper scraped with no witnesses or note leaving me to fork out for the repair through no fault of my own. Didn't even bother trying to ask for CCTV or anything as I knew it wouldn't get me anywhere

If you don't want to put a claim in on insurance you could get some quotes from local reputable body shops and bill her for the repair. This is what I did when this happened to me AGAIN when a colleague reversed into me at work cracking the front bumper. Luckily a mate did witness it that time and told me straightaway (the guy had driven off but did confess in the morning claiming he wasn't aware it was my car and since there was no damage to his tow bar) but this turned out to be a happy ending since he was happy to pay me in full for the quote and I got my bumper upgraded to an M Sport rather than just getting the damage repaired.
      09-25-2020, 01:04 PM   #7
john lummis
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

I've had a similar thing happen around 7 years ago, the other parties insurance just repaired my car, it had no effect on my premium, in fact my premium went down and it wasn't logged by my insurers, if things have changed since then, then they've changed, we will see.
      09-25-2020, 01:08 PM   #8
john lummis
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Fez, she was driving her Dad's company car, He is the managing director of two companies, her Mum was also in the Izuzu so it will be fine.
The claim handlers work on behalf of Williams BMW, they will deal with Allianz ( her Dads company insurance provider)
      09-25-2020, 01:55 PM   #9
DC78
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 430D Coupe

Somebody reversed out a parking space as I was driving past last November.

Front wing, door, back wing, 2 wheels and back bumper all scraped (pretty minor).

Claimed on other party insurance, made no difference to my renewal. I ran quotes with and without declaring a non-fault accident and it made zero difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 02:08 PM   #10
john lummis
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

I've not been asked for my insurance details , I have insurance obviously but it seems, up to now, they are not needed, the claim handlers have her details and have said all repair costs and their costs will be claimed off her insurance. it was all very amicable, I'm just pleased she stopped and waited.
      09-25-2020, 02:23 PM   #11
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

Whether people 'tell' their insurance or not or try going through Dave's brothers uncle Tim's dog walkers dad who knows a repairer who fixed it on the hush hush wink wink, come renewal time you'll either get asked when shopping round if you've had an accident, or your insurers will renew on the basis of everything being the same ie you've not had an accident. If you reply no you haven't, then you'd be lying and if somehow they did find out, and you'd just put a big claim in, you may find you're footing it yourself.
Each their own I get it, but personally I have insurance in case I do need the value of the car covering (or higher if it's personal injury) so what's the point in trying to pull a fast one, just take the hit on the small increase and sleep soundly knowing your pride and joy is, legitimately, covered
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN13549.00
      09-25-2020, 02:57 PM   #12
Dan991
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330d f30

Ah that sucks. At least she was decent enough to come in an own up. Most people these days would have done a runner.
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2020, 03:38 PM   #13
bigjimmer80
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY

As others have said your premiums are going up. I had a new driver hit the front of me last year, she admitted liability etc, came to renew this year and it went up by a few hundred. Total bollocks.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 04:35 PM   #14
SantaEugence
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjimmer80 View Post
As others have said your premiums are going up. I had a new driver hit the front of me last year, she admitted liability etc, came to renew this year and it went up by a few hundred. Total bollocks.
Few hundred? That's quite an increase for a non-fault, I take it that was with shopping around as well?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 04:44 PM   #15
john lummis
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

We will see, Santa, it's not pulling a 'fast one', when you are renewing you're asked if you've made a claim, to which the answer would be no, you could be asked if you've had an accident to which the answer would be no, I haven't had an accident, I was eating a very nice gourmet steak pie at the time my car was damaged.
The other parties insurance is going to repair my car, I don't see the problem, if I'm asked a question I will answer it honestly, if I'm not asked a specific question, it's not lying not answering a question that's not been asked.

If I don't need the assistance of my insurance company there's no point telling them that I don't need them .
      09-25-2020, 05:20 PM   #16
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

I just found this on Admiral's website:

https://www.admiral.com/magazine/gui...s-myths-busted

Not sure if this applies just to Admiral, or whether its law that you have to tell your own insurer.
Attached Images

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
mcscoobs169.00
      09-25-2020, 05:33 PM   #17
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post
You do realise that when you declare a 'no fault' collision when you renew your insurance, they will put up the premium. It happened to my daughter. When we queries it they said that statistics show that those who have 'no fault' collisions are more likely to have another, hence they are higher risk.
It happen to me just before my renewal and change of car, bmw garage sorted car but my insurance went up by £150 because of that. I have only informed my insurer about it and claim/repair was logged against other driver. Same answer as why my premium went up, you are more likely have another one
Now i feel like "magnet for idiots crashing into my car".

Quote:
If I don't need the assistance of my insurance company there's no point telling them that I don't need them .
I have informed my insurer about accident but call handler did not take note of that and my existing renewal was refused, Sainsbury's fuck-up but costed me a lot of hassle and finding new insurer which was even more expensive (sainsbury covered the difference but crappy experience encountered).

Last edited by adam.b; 09-25-2020 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 07:05 PM   #18
SantaEugence
Major
Rep

Quote:
We will see, Santa, it's not pulling a 'fast one', when you are renewing you're asked if you've made a claim, to which the answer would be no, you could be asked if you've had an accident to which the answer would be no, I haven't had an accident, I was eating a very nice gourmet steak pie at the time my car was damaged.
The other parties insurance is going to repair my car, I don't see the problem, if I'm asked a question I will answer it honestly, if I'm not asked a specific question, it's not lying not answering a question that's not been asked.

I do get what you're saying, and I'm not trying to be a stickler, however I'd suggest the terms of your insurance will 100% contradict what you've written there - onus is on you to declare it whether they ask you the correctly worded question or not. I doubt they'd ever find out and I'm sure you'll have many more delicious gourmet steak pies in the future without any issues, but it's worth knowing 'tis all.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 07:18 PM   #19
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

what a fascinating story. you should write for readers digest.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 11:09 PM   #20
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

OP 999 times out of a 1000 you will get away with it.

The sticking point could be if in the future you are unfortunate enough to be involved in a serious issue that involves sometting like Personal Injury and they start digging.

As others have said Insurance is there for peace of mind and withholding anything that could be deemed a material fact will always prejudice that.

Please make your Insurance company aware of the situation, any resultant increase in premium will undoubtedly leave a nasty taste in your mouth but you will not be giving the Insurance company grounds for any refusals further down the line.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 02:33 AM   #21
Dan991
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330d f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
OP 999 times out of a 1000 you will get away with it.

The sticking point could be if in the future you are unfortunate enough to be involved in a serious issue that involves sometting like Personal Injury and they start digging.

As others have said Insurance is there for peace of mind and withholding anything that could be deemed a material fact will always prejudice that.

Please make your Insurance company aware of the situation, any resultant increase in premium will undoubtedly leave a nasty taste in your mouth but you will not be giving the Insurance company grounds for any refusals further down the line.
I'd have to agree with Sennen. Play it safe rather than be sorry. If injury comes into a claim later down the line and it went to court or something you could be talking mega money. You'd feel like a fool for not declaring it. Obviously entirely up to you, but I know what I would do.
Appreciate 1
Sennen1735.00
      09-26-2020, 04:42 AM   #22
john lummis
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

I can't see how an injury claim could come into it, I was about 70m away from the car, it was parked up with no one in it, the damage is only minor to both vehicles, purely cosmetic although she could have strained her neck whilst turning round to look at her child in the rear of her car just before she hit mine.