BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Windshield Wipers Position Calibration

09-19-2020, 01:30 PM   #1
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Windshield Wipers Position Calibration

After getting a huge rock chip that started spreading I took my X7 into the dealership to have them replace the windshield. Now the wiper arms are misaligned and the behavior of the "Auto" wipers setting position is off.

I noticed the issue a few minutes after driving off the lot so I made a U-Turn and drove back. They agreed that the resting position of the wiper arms was to high and took it back in and removed the arms and re-positioned them to the lowest attachment point.

Looks to me like they failed to perform all the required steps after the windshield replacement. I'm sure one of those steps was to calibrate the wiper arm position.

These techs need to start reading and following the procedures outlined in the instructions. Now I'll have to bring it back in to have them finish the job. The dealer is 105 miles away from me. See my video with my audio explanation of the problem and how they should work.

What do you think my chances are of getting the dealer to come to me and fix their "FU** UP". Probably slim to none. I'm sure it can be done with a laptop and ODB module. Maybe I can code it with BimmerCode?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 02:42 PM   #2
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

mine looks and does the exact same thing. it has since day one. this has annoyed me but thought it was the way it was supposed to be. this isn't the normal functionality?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 04:23 PM   #3
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
mine looks and does the exact same thing. it has since day one. this has annoyed me but thought it was the way it was supposed to be. this isn't the normal functionality?
I've had my car for almost a year but I could have sworn it could not see blade connector while in "Auto" mode.

The dealer sent me a video of one of the X7s on the lot and it looks like mine in the video but not as pronounced.

When you get into a car that you drive everyday you notice things that are different. This is one of those things. I think there is a programmable option or something. Why would the arms go down in the "0/Off" position and be able to wipe from that position and return to the off position when you move it back to off but not be able to do the same thing from Auto?

Maybe some other owners will chime in and tell us what their X7s look like in the two positions.

Last edited by mitch57; 09-19-2020 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: additions
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 04:43 PM   #4
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

i believe in the off position they are tucked under the hood. in auto they are in a "stand-by" state so they are higher up. this is how i assumed it worked and justified the positioning.
Appreciate 1
MystroX56289.50
      09-19-2020, 07:40 PM   #5
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
i believe in the off position they are tucked under the hood. in auto they are in a "stand-by" state so they are higher up. this is how i assumed it worked and justified the positioning.
That may be the case. However, I don't remember seeing the wipers as they are now. I always drive with the wipers in the "Auto" position. That's why I raised the concern with the Dealer.

What I'm thinking is that they didn't attache the passenger side wiper in the correct position which should be close to the bottom of the windshield glass. Because of this, the driver's side wiper can't be placed on the spindle spline in the correct position because it will hit the passenger side wiper.

The good news is that my Dealer is going to arrange to have one of their techs come to me and reinsert the the wipers in the lowest possible position. I would call that Great Service. Especially since I live 105 miles from the dealer.

I'll be sure to post an update here after they reinstall the wipers.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 06:29 PM   #6
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
So I just took a look at this today and my wipers perform just like this as well. Admittedly, I never noticed this before (it did not seem out of place) and it seems like normal operation to me (and I also had my windshield recently replaced as well)....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      09-20-2020, 11:15 PM   #7
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Haven't checked my X7, but as long as I remember in all my other vehicles this is the way they functioned as shown in the video. First time it annoyed me was back in 2007 in an LX470. Ever since through my Q7, LX's, XC90, Cayenne, Touareg, Etc... They all acted the same.

I agree They might've been set in an extremely low position previously, but from my experience with different models through the years it seems like a normal behavior in the video.

Ultimately it's your vehicle, your preference to set it to your liking.
      09-26-2020, 02:42 PM   #8
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

UPDATE:

First off, I would like to give a shout out to my BMW dealer (BMW Northwest) for outstanding service and support.

After addressing the issue with the Service Advisor he offered (without me asking first) to send a tech to my home to adjust my wipers. I made an appointment with the tech for 11:00AM yesterday at my home. Keep in mind that I live 110 miles from the dealership and the tech had to drive through both Tacoma and Seattle traffic to get here.

The tech arrived at my house driving another X7 at 11:10 am yesterday morning. We took measurements of the wipers positions, in both his X7 and mine, in the "0"/Off position, Auto position and Service position. They were both within a couple of mm of each other.

We discovered that a few things take place that caused my concern and reasoning for bringing up the issue of being able to see the wiper in normal driving while in the Auto Setting.

The reason I did not see the wiper in my windshield while in the raised/Auto setting prior to getting the windshield replaced is because it was not visible before the windshield replacement. That’s because it was in the “0”/Off position when I brought the vehicle in. Even though the wiper stock was in the “Auto” position/mode. See below for an explanation:

We discovered yesterday morning that there is an additional “Automatic” setting that takes effect as soon as you open the door to exit the vehicle. If you have the wipers set to the “Auto” position and the wipers get used while you are driving, the wiper arm will raise just above the hood as seen in my video which is the “Auto/Standby” position. The wiper will remain in this position for the remainder of your drive time.

At the end of the drive, with the wipers in the “Auto” position, put the vehicle in park, turn off the ignition and open the door to exit. As soon as you open the door the windshield wiper arms drop to the “0”/Off position under the hood where they can no longer be seen from the drivers position.

Upon entering the vehicle for the next drive the wiper arms remain in the off position, tucked under the hood, even though the wiper stock is still in the “Auto” position. The wiper arms will remain in the off position, tucked under the hood, until the rain sensor activates the wipers again which will raise the arms above the hood to the “Standby” position until you exit the vehicle again which will again put them in the "0"/Off position.

Since we did not have any rain for several weeks prior to me bringing the vehicle in I never saw the wiper arms sticking up above the hood. I had been driving around with the wipers in the “Auto” position but since there was no rain the wipers never rose to the “Standby” position above the hood. So…. When I picked up the car and saw the wiper arms raised way above the hood I said to myself. “I don’t remember the wipers sticking up like that before.” Because they were not like that for the last several weeks. In addition, they did have the drivers arm set way to high when they put it back on the splined shaft.

My OCD took control of my memory muscle telling me the wipers were not like that before. Which they weren’t for the last several weeks. Now that I know how they work, I can now rest in peace. Problem solved! Third world problems…!
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      02-20-2024, 07:37 AM   #9
hamada128
Registered
Rep
Drives: X7

I recently had the windshiled replaced at the dealer, is this the right position for the driver's side wiper in the OFF position?
I recall it used to be compleetley hidden before they replace the windshield.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 09:55 AM   #10
jrmMD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X5 40i, '22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Which dealership?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
That may be the case. However, I don't remember seeing the wipers as they are now. I always drive with the wipers in the "Auto" position. That's why I raised the concern with the Dealer.

What I'm thinking is that they didn't attache the passenger side wiper in the correct position which should be close to the bottom of the windshield glass. Because of this, the driver's side wiper can't be placed on the spindle spline in the correct position because it will hit the passenger side wiper.

The good news is that my Dealer is going to arrange to have one of their techs come to me and reinsert the the wipers in the lowest possible position. I would call that Great Service. Especially since I live 105 miles from the dealer.

I'll be sure to post an update here after they reinstall the wipers.
I live in the PNW as well, had the dealership on the Eastside replace the windshield on my X5 (they picked up a heater fault for the front facing camera, good catch), but they also put the driver side wiper too high, it was smacking the pillar. Not really noticeable until it started to rain more here in the PNW. Took it back and they moved it down in <5 min. Not my favorite service center however, considering going back to Seattle, or maybe try the new dealership in Lynnwood (I'm north of Everett)

And my X7 behaves as you describe, wipers lower under hood when off, higher when car is running and they have been activated and are on AUTO. Drop down when car turns off, or if turn off wipers. Was told that is 'working as designed'
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2024, 06:27 PM   #11
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmMD View Post
Not my favorite service center however, considering going back to Seattle, or maybe try the new dealership in Lynnwood (I'm north of Everett)

I also live north of Everett. I would be interested in hearing your opinion of the Lynnwood dealership. I'm currently using BMW Northwest but am getting tired of that long drive in Seattle/Everett traffic.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 11:56 AM   #12
jrmMD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X5 40i, '22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
I also live north of Everett. I would be interested in hearing your opinion of the Lynnwood dealership. I'm currently using BMW Northwest but am getting tired of that long drive in Seattle/Everett traffic.
Haven't tried them yet. Asked for a quote on pre-paid maintenance (on my 2019 X5), and got one...not a cheap one, but probably average

Seattle seemed to have a good Service Dept, but they are in the middle of nowhere. I do not recommend the Sales Dept there. Bellevue has been mixed, but I know they would not have sent a tech up to change my wiper after the windshield replacement like NW did, that's amazing. Had the Lynnwood Acura dealer do same a few years back. Above and beyond for sure
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 12:44 PM   #13
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
Quote:
UPDATE:

First off, I would like to give a shout out to my BMW dealer (BMW Northwest) for outstanding service and support.

After addressing the issue with the Service Advisor he offered (without me asking first) to send a tech to my home to adjust my wipers. I made an appointment with the tech for 11:00AM yesterday at my home. Keep in mind that I live 110 miles from the dealership and the tech had to drive through both Tacoma and Seattle traffic to get here.

The tech arrived at my house driving another X7 at 11:10 am yesterday morning. We took measurements of the wipers positions, in both his X7 and mine, in the "0"/Off position, Auto position and Service position. They were both within a couple of mm of each other.

We discovered that a few things take place that caused my concern and reasoning for bringing up the issue of being able to see the wiper in normal driving while in the Auto Setting.

The reason I did not see the wiper in my windshield while in the raised/Auto setting prior to getting the windshield replaced is because it was not visible before the windshield replacement. That’s because it was in the “0”/Off position when I brought the vehicle in. Even though the wiper stock was in the “Auto” position/mode. See below for an explanation:

We discovered yesterday morning that there is an additional “Automatic” setting that takes effect as soon as you open the door to exit the vehicle. If you have the wipers set to the “Auto” position and the wipers get used while you are driving, the wiper arm will raise just above the hood as seen in my video which is the “Auto/Standby” position. The wiper will remain in this position for the remainder of your drive time.

At the end of the drive, with the wipers in the “Auto” position, put the vehicle in park, turn off the ignition and open the door to exit. As soon as you open the door the windshield wiper arms drop to the “0”/Off position under the hood where they can no longer be seen from the drivers position.

Upon entering the vehicle for the next drive the wiper arms remain in the off position, tucked under the hood, even though the wiper stock is still in the “Auto” position. The wiper arms will remain in the off position, tucked under the hood, until the rain sensor activates the wipers again which will raise the arms above the hood to the “Standby” position until you exit the vehicle again which will again put them in the "0"/Off position.

Since we did not have any rain for several weeks prior to me bringing the vehicle in I never saw the wiper arms sticking up above the hood. I had been driving around with the wipers in the “Auto” position but since there was no rain the wipers never rose to the “Standby” position above the hood. So…. When I picked up the car and saw the wiper arms raised way above the hood I said to myself. “I don’t remember the wipers sticking up like that before.” Because they were not like that for the last several weeks. In addition, they did have the drivers arm set way to high when they put it back on the splined shaft.

My OCD took control of my memory muscle telling me the wipers were not like that before. Which they weren’t for the last several weeks. Now that I know how they work, I can now rest in peace. Problem solved! Third world problems…!
mitch57 Thanks for the detailed explanation!
Appreciate 0