BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Brake fluid damage?

09-16-2020, 08:57 AM   #1
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Brake fluid damage?

Had my M2 into the dealer last night and have some cloudy white spots on one of my 437m wheels now. Does this sound like it could be from brake fluid getting on it? I assumed they’d remove the wheels before a brake job but trying to figure out how it might have happened. It will not wipe off and I’m not going to try and buff it until I see what the dealer says... but my guess is they’ll try to pass it off as not their fault.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 09:13 AM   #2
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Have you tried washing your car?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 09:40 AM   #3
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I haven’t touched it yet outside of trying to wipe it off with a damp towel. Wanted to get feedback before messing with it. BMW washed the car so might just be some dried on wheel cleaner or something.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 09:44 AM   #4
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasnub View Post
I haven’t touched it yet outside of trying to wipe it off with a damp towel. Wanted to get feedback before messing with it. BMW washed the car so might just be some dried on wheel cleaner or something.
I'd bet it's some dried wheel cleaner. The wheels/coating on the 437m's are pretty tough, I highly doubt its anything permanent. I'd just clean it up with some wheel cleaner rather than deal with the dealership on it.

I once accidentally left some wheel cleaner/iron remover on my wheels for half a day (didn't rinse it well enough). It left a rusty colored residue on them that looked pretty bad. It came off fairly easily with a quick spray down and wipe.

If it still doesn't come off, then yes, by all means, contact them.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 10:46 AM   #5
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
I'd bet it's some dried wheel cleaner. The wheels/coating on the 437m's are pretty tough, I highly doubt its anything permanent. I'd just clean it up with some wheel cleaner rather than deal with the dealership on it.

I once accidentally left some wheel cleaner/iron remover on my wheels for half a day (didn't rinse it well enough). It left a rusty colored residue on them that looked pretty bad. It came off fairly easily with a quick spray down and wipe.

If it still doesn't come off, then yes, by all means, contact them.
Funny you’d respond, this was over at Erhard in Bloomfield Hills...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 11:06 AM   #6
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Funny you’d respond, this was over at Erhard in Bloomfield Hills...
Yeah, I dont go there. I go to BMW of Ann Arbor (Part of the Suburban Collection) and never have them wash my car anyways.

Erhard of Farmington Hills is pretty close to me, but I had issues with getting my car in there in a timely manner for simple things. Dereck West, my service advisor over at Ann Arbor has been great to me. Highly recommend.

Also, if you're in the market for a new vehicle, Mo Beidoun is a great guy. (Actually will see him this weekend at Grattan Raceway for an HPDE)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 12:14 PM   #7
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Try washing it first. Brake fluid corrosion would be something you could feel as it eats the paint and dissolves it
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 12:32 PM   #8
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Brake fluid eats paint to primer and or bare metal. If this just washes off it was certainly not brake fluid. Wipe it with a dry cloth first.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 04:42 PM   #9
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I dont go there. I go to BMW of Ann Arbor (Part of the Suburban Collection) and never have them wash my car anyways.

Erhard of Farmington Hills is pretty close to me, but I had issues with getting my car in there in a timely manner for simple things. Dereck West, my service advisor over at Ann Arbor has been great to me. Highly recommend.

Also, if you're in the market for a new vehicle, Mo Beidoun is a great guy. (Actually will see him this weekend at Grattan Raceway for an HPDE)
I normally have gone to Ann Arbor in the past and worked with Derek myself. Neither dealer has really blown me away honestly... these guys are all pretty much the same in my experience. Meant to tell them not to wash the car but forgot... wasn’t very happy with myself for that one.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 04:57 PM   #10
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I normally have gone to Ann Arbor in the past and worked with Derek myself. Neither dealer has really blown me away honestly... these guys are all pretty much the same in my experience. Meant to tell them not to wash the car but forgot... wasn’t very happy with myself for that one.
My dealer has it in their system that the car shouldn't get washed, so I don't even have to ask them anymore which is nice.

I have one of these too b/c I'm paranoid:

https://www.carboncollective.com/pro...wash-pvc-hook/
Appreciate 2
      09-16-2020, 05:14 PM   #11
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Huh. Dereck has been great to me. Didn't even have to pay for many services that wouldn't normally have been covered. Never gave me any problems about my mods or tune.
Appreciate 0