BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2 comp launch failed

09-14-2020, 12:43 PM   #1
lnsaneM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: like you stole it

M2 comp launch failed

I was doing some spirited driving and racing against a buddy with his M4. When we raced from a dig, I used launch control, dsc off, sport + on both engine and steering, floored the car with brakes engaged. Everything seemed fine and the race flag showed up, I set the rpm to 2500. I let off the brakes and it seemed like the car stalled... the gas was floored all the way. (DCT, duh) so any help on how to properly launch a dct would be appreciated

Btw the m4 noticed my failed launch and was nice enough so he didn’t go anyway. Then we raced again from a dig, I didn’t use launch control this time with the same settings and won by 2 car lengths after we raced the M4 owner told me he was in auto mode, lol h(also DCT)
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 12:53 PM   #2
lnsaneM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

This is the second time this happened, first time when it failed I was just trying to see how to actually launch the car using launch control
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:35 PM   #3
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Are you letting off the accelerator at all? Also, are you changing gears yourself? Basically for launch control to work you should see the flag, the revs should be locked and as you let off the brake you should not try to modulate the throttle (at all). You also should not try changing gear yourself. The car will manage everything.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2020, 08:38 PM   #4
lnsaneM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok thanks, I don’t remember if I let off throttle or not. But I am definitely changing gears myself, that shouldn’t be the problem as that I’m not even getting close to redline when the car stutters, I will give it another try then.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 02:46 AM   #5
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnsaneM View Post
Ok thanks, I don't remember if I let off throttle or not. But I am definitely changing gears myself, that shouldn't be the problem as that I'm not even getting close to redline when the car stutters, I will give it another try then.
Yeah I would say it's especially important to let the car change the from 1st to 2nd by itself to manage the traction properly. After that it doesn't matter too much. The second you change the gear or let off the gas however it cuts the launch control mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 10:16 AM   #6
lnsaneM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
Yeah I would say it's especially important to let the car change the from 1st to 2nd by itself to manage the traction properly. After that it doesn't matter too much. The second you change the gear or let off the gas however it cuts the launch control mode.
Ok got it, thanks. In my mind I was thinking the shifting was up to the driver and the traction has to be managed by foot. Gotta miss manual sometimes. But I’ll give it some more try once I get back from my business trip
Appreciate 0