BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-09-2020, 02:06 PM   #1
TouringM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 6MT / '16 F31

Garage List
G8x taking cues from Lexus

Hey buds –

I was driving around the other day and saw a Lexus GS-F from the side.
I noticed what I hadn't before, the large vertical fender vent, and the long, low horizontal body line.

I realized, wow, that reminds me of the spy photos i've seen of the upcoming G8x series.

I've put together a comparison here of some of the defining details from the upcoming G8x series (at least what we can discern at present) as well as some of Lexus' more iconic "-F" design attributes so we can all see where BMW may be borrowing – as well as – what design cues we may come to appreciate, or continue to loathe over time.

Feature 1: The G8x vertical snout vs Lexus gaping maw
BMW:

LEXUS:

If you're like me, when you first saw the lexus grill, i was all:

And you know what, while i still don't love it, it has grown on me.
TO BE FAIR though, the gaping one piece design provides fewer design elements to react to, so i believe it is easier to accept or adapt to.

Moving on to the side of the car, IMO BMW straight up ripped the large vertical vent off the GS-F, placed it on the G8x, and then did a photoshop drag of the traditional beltline crease about 2 feet down towards the rocker panel height of the car.

Lexus:

BMW:

Note - I am NOT hating on this. I like the larger vertical wheelhouse vent. I don't love the lack of beltline crease, but i'm definitely willing to give it a shot.

Dat Booty
More specifically, the exhaust.
Sure, center exhaust (or centre for our buddies up north) is not a new thing. Porsche GTx cars, Corvettes, new Civic Type-R, Jaguar F-Type R ...lots of examples.

IMO none better than the silk banshee Lexus LF-A. A car i would give both testicles to own. I shit you not, i'm not having kids, so who cares about two stones when you can have a 9k rpm yamaha tuned V10.

Lexus LF-A:

I mean, come on!

G8x GTS or CS or whatever it's going to be:

Lastly, the seats.
I do not consider this to be biting, borrowing, or stealing. This is a natural evolution of high performance car seats, and frankly we've seen this kind of style in Mercedes AMG cars for over a decade, and Audi's RS cars for a similar timeframe in Europe.

I'm flat out just glad to see BMW offering a harness-capable seat option on the upcoming G8x platform. Plus the alcantara and competition seatback gaps are welcome carry-forwards:

BMW:

Lexus GS-F:

Mercedes AMG:

Audi RS (euro wingbacks):

Hope this is a helpful composite of some of the design features, looking forward to talking about what we love, like, and otherwise!

Instagram: @TouringM3
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi8...LVuZzYvwGewezg
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 03:18 PM   #2
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Is it an Audi or an Alfa, Ford or a Lexus? Neither it’s a BMW. Any similarities are likely purely coincidental and not deliberate copying.

When I look at it I don’t see any of the other cars even if some details are similar. I would never mistake it for any existing car from another brand but even more important it’s a new BMW design not same old where it can be mistaken for the existing version or a funfer, zweier or other BMW. It has its own unique look. Bravo BMW.
Appreciate 6
LSM1118.00
VetteGuy845.50
wtwo317880.50
heavyD^23684.00
      09-09-2020, 03:38 PM   #3
super51fan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Lexus isn't the only company with big grilles.

The fender vent is just an exaggeration of the f80 vent. The GT350 may be a better example

Lexus isn't the only car with center exhaust, the prior Corvettes, Civic Type R, and AMG GT-R all come to mind.

M performance seats were also harness compatible seats so this is nothing new.

There are only so many different ways to design a car and patterns or trends are destined to be repeated without being copied
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #4
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Is it an Audi or an Alfa, Ford or a Lexus? Neither it’s a BMW. Any similarities are likely purely coincidental and not deliberate copying.

When I look at it I don’t see any of the other cars even if some details are similar. I would never mistake it for any existing car from another brand but even more important it’s a new BMW design not same old where it can be mistaken for the existing version or a funfer, zweier or other BMW. It has its own unique look. Bravo BMW.
No one is mistaking these cars for any existing brands cars. This entire post was very humorous (and helps pass the time until the reveal later this month) but I fundamentally disagree with it.

OP, you're using inaccurate rear renders. That render is not what the production car looks like. We have both leaked images and people that have seen the cars IRL and confirmed the leaked images are accurate.
Appreciate 2
solstice5456.50
duky1313.00
      09-09-2020, 03:55 PM   #5
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
No one is mistaking these cars for any existing brands cars. This entire post was very humorous (and helps pass the time until the reveal later this month) but I fundamentally disagree with it.

OP, you're using inaccurate rear renders. That render is not what the production car looks like. We have both leaked images and people that have seen the cars IRL and confirmed the leaked images are accurate.
Only 2 weeks to go now!

Seems like BMW is successful putting a lid on further uncovered leaks.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2020, 03:56 PM   #6
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Only 2 weeks to go now!

Seems like BMW is successful putting a lid on further uncovered leaks.
many bothans died to bring us this information...
Appreciate 1
solstice5456.50
      09-09-2020, 05:07 PM   #7
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

The L signature tail light outline has been with BMW since the E32 in 1987.
The current BMW L light bar was foretold in Concept cars in the early 2000s which have recently began to filter through on recent production models.
      09-09-2020, 07:11 PM   #8
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
More Chinese than Japanese I should say.. aligns with their expansion of domestic factories in China.
Appreciate 0